E450 V10 chassis Class C Oil Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve407

Did some searching on here on oil changes and skipped through all the Walmart lovers and haters feuds, and a number of F53 chassis questions but never saw an answer on a class C. Wouldn't a Ford dealer be required o change (service) their product especially if it is still under warranty? I saw posts that said Ford dealers refused to change or service RV's. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Seems like it's just a truck with fancy clothes. I previously had 2 class A's and I always took them to RV dealer for service, but they charge outrageous prices, so think I'd like a Ford dealer to do the work. Am I just living in a fantasy world?

Thanks in advance.

Of course not all Ford dealers work on trucks, and many places don't have a facility that will handle an RV, even if they can do the van with a similar chassis -- the house on the RV makes a difference in size, if nothing else. But I found plenty of truck dealers (not even Ford) who would do the job just fine. Rush Truck Centers are one chain that does the job well -- there are others -- and Google can find lots of stuff where you are.

Like Larry says,, try to get an 8.5 by 11 foot box into an 8X10 foot hole.. Not all dealers are in modern buildings...
  Many "dealers" sell only  P/U trucks,, vans,, and smaller vehicles..>>>Dan

There is no requirement that routine service be performed at a dealership during the warranty period.

Oil changes can be performed at any Jiffy Lube style quick change place that has a door high and wide enough for the RV to pass through.  This includes many Wal-Mart oil change centers.

I'll agree with the others. A Class C is taller and wider than any pick-up or van and many Ford dealers simply lack the physical space to handle a large vehicle. Door width & height plus the ability to use their oil change rack or lift are key factors.  Those dealers that sell & service the larger (medium duty) truck models will always have facilities to deal with them, so check around.

There is no reason to use a RV dealer or a Ford dealer for routine maintenance. Nothing in the truck or RV warranty requires that.  You can DIY or use a truck service shop if you like - just keep a record.

Note that some shops simply don't want to deal with RVs, largely due to negative experiences with the owners.  Dealing with complaints about dirt or grease on seats and carpets (even if legit), lack of customer waiting rooms and smooth-talking service advisors, what they consider oddball requests and questions from inexperienced owners, etc. are sometimes more than a busy truck repair shop is willing to do.  When you go to a truck service facility, you aren't in Kansas anymore!

Yes, it's a physical size issue, as well as capacity and size of lifts at the dealership.  We have a number of Ford dealers nearby, but only a couple have shops and lifts of adequate size and techs with RV experience.  We are fortunate to have a very good one around 25 minutes from home, with whom I'm very happy so far.  Oil change, along with their XX-point inspection runs me about $100.  I'm fine with that, especially as we only do it once a season.  I also like the peace of mind knowing that a Ford-authorized tech is looking everything over for me.

That said, it's still quite easy to find a capable dealership in most areas.  Ford dealers are bloody ubiquitous!

I've always taken my E450 to my local Ford dealer, he will do a complete chassis service for about $50.00. As others have said, it's just a matter of if he has a bay to accommodate the larger vehicle.

Most quick oil change places like Jiffy Lube use a pit instead of a lift so there's no need to raise the vehicle.  You just drive in (assuming the door is large enough) and the tech accesses the vehicle from underneath.

Agree with Lou, I have a 38ft DP and use the local Pennzoil Quick lube. They have a bay big enough and the pit to drain and dispose of all that oil. I purchase an oil filter on line and have them remove and replace as they don't stock my filter.

steve407 said:
Did some searching on here on oil changes and skipped through all the Walmart lovers and haters feuds, and a number of F53 chassis questions but never saw an answer on a class C. Wouldn't a Ford dealer be required o change (service) their product especially if it is still under warranty? I saw posts that said Ford dealers refused to change or service RV's. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Seems like it's just a truck with fancy clothes. I previously had 2 class A's and I always took them to RV dealer for service, but they charge outrageous prices, so think I'd like a Ford dealer to do the work. Am I just living in a fantasy world?

Thanks in advance.

I change my own oil in my driveway of my Class C, its no more difficult and perhaps easier than most cars. This is a service I would never pay others to do

I think they put oil in at the factory.  No need to change it. ;D

Utclmjmpr said:
Obviously you sell things before the oil change is due,,huh??.>>>Dan

I have led an odd life.  I spent the first half running everything until the wheels fell off.  Now I tend to change it up a little more.  No right answer.  Whatever makes a person happy.  :eek:    ;D

I suspect most of us could run a modern car gas engine for 50k or more miles without an oil change and suffer no noticeable loss of power or engine life. Probably 100k+ if you could change the oil filter once in awhile.  Tighter mechanical clearances reduce combustion contamination and modern oils hold up well to normal wear & tear.  However, the automotive engineers have no idea how you will use their engines and have to assume that some percentage will be in the worse case scenario and plan maintenance intervals accordingly.  And since the vast majority of owners have no clue whether they are stressing the engine a lot or a little, changing oil & filter at least once a year is just plain good practice.

Look at the color of the oil that is being drained versus the color of the new oil being put it. Now do you really not want to have it changed on a regular interval.

Color really has no bearing on the integrity of oil, and is a poor way to judge, many oils will change color in the first 4 to 500 miles of use...>>>Dan

JD Sharp said:
Look at the color of the oil that is being drained versus the color of the new oil being put it. Now do you really not want to have it changed on a regular interval.

X2. I change my oil and filter every year or a max of 5000 miles on all my vehicles. I'd rather spend a few bucks now than ten thousand later.

TheBar said:
X2. I change my oil and filter every year or a max of 5000 miles on all my vehicles. I'd rather spend a few bucks now than ten thousand later.

oil change about the cheapest maintenance to perform vs engine rebuild. As we do not put more than 5,000 miles a year on any ONE vehicle we have except the RV, I typically change the oil once a year as I run full synthetics in all 4 of our vehicles. The RV, the max I have driven in one year was 6,000 miles and I did an oil change before we left (when I first got the RV)  and one when we got home.

Back
Top Bottom