Travel trailer owners who rent their trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccs11

Hello, I have a strange situation. My dad purchased a Forest River travel trailer in 2018. He set it up in Connecticut to enjoy the summers out of hot Florida. Dad got to use it one season and passed away. It has been sitting in storage up in Connecticut ever since. My stepmother lives in South Florida and has no way to use it. I was thinking of bringing it down to Florida and setting it up in an RV park to rent it out. Any thoughts on doing this? Thanks

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Check with the RV park to see if they allow sub-rentals of RVs in their park.  Most parks don't and I think those that do will tend to attract lower class renters.

I think you would be better off just selling the trailer, especially if you will be an absentee landlord instead of being on site to supervise the rental.

I have lived at The Floridian in St Cloud FL for the last 7 years. They definitely allow renting out trailers here. The trailer next door has a 'For Rent' sign posted in the yard. Rent runs around $500 per month including electricity.

I agree, sell it.  2018 still decent value.  These depreciate quickly, and require constant surveillance and maintenance.  They are simple not designed or built for rental material.     

As mentioned... it's possible but you'd have no way to oversee the rentals, assuming that isn't a burden your stepmother wants to take on. The hassle factor could be high, as well as unit depreciation as time passes, and lack of ability for you to handle issues that could (would) come up. Best to sell the unit while it still has some relatively-new value. Check the year/make/model on www.nadaguides.com/rvs to get an idea of what it might be worth.

Do you live in Florida and are able to do maintenance? It sucks to be a landlord when you live hundreds of miles away. Who is going to do the inevitable repairs? A management company takes a pretty big chunk out of the rental fees, plus you need insurance. I just can?t see how you can make money with a gross income of $200-300 a month after lot rental. Better to sell it. This is a good time of year to sell in Florida, while late spring/summer is a good time to sell in Connecticut.

Had friends in Yuma who lived in a Park Model and had a 5th wheel 6 spaces away who rented it to a couple for a month. 

The lady just had to have a bidet and had one installed unbeknownst to the owners.  Then left before the end of the month.  Left them with the bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom