rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: park model insurance  (Read 763 times)

longtimeowner

park model insurance
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:49:51 PM »
I just bought a 2007 Breckenridge 44 ft 3 slide park model.    State Farm and Progressive will not insure park models.   What insurance companies will insure park models that are in a RV park?

ziplock

• ---
  • Maryland
Re: park model insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
This sure is an interesting question.

I would have thought you would need proof of insurance before purchase?

Well, If you pay cash,  guess that would not come up in the transaction.  If you need a loan, I would assume that proof of insurance would be a given.

2018 Chateau 22r New  to  This! May 2017
Wish we were retired!
Maryland

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
I bought a mobile home, turned out the unit had never been deregistered which meant it could have been permitted and moved. The lender got a little excited to say the least. Once the paperwork was done and the axles removed it was insured as a permanent structure.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »
Foremost insurance
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

longtimeowner

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
Thank you all for responding.  Yes, I did pay cash for the camper.   Having owned one just like it at the same campground seven years ago, I just assumed State Farm would insure this one as it had the other.   As for Foremost Insurance, have you had any problems with them?  I called a Foremost agent and they will insure the park model, but need pictures.   This will not be a problem, but I had never heard of them before.  Have you been satisfied with their service?

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
Following.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:25:56 AM »
Foremost has insured our double-wide mobile home for 20+ years. Very satisfied with them.  They are associated with AARP as their mobile home insurance source.  Foremost is part of the Farmers Insurance group.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 10:20:05 PM »
I have had them for over  15 years. Had a claim one time and they payed off without trouble
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 05:40:13 AM »
Congratulations on the Breckenridge.

Foremost is part of the Farmers Insurance Group and handles our RV insurance. I deal exclusively through our Farmers agent, including when I've looked for coverage on fifthwheels and park models. However, Foremost has a decent web site that allows you to get quotes for various products:  https://www.foremost.com/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:08:13 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

arcticfox2005

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
Go back to the original post. The statement that State Farm will not insure a park model is just plain wrong. It could be a lack of communication in terms of what you mean about it being a park model.

Until we sold it last summer, we had a park model at Star Valley Ranch Resort in Wyoming that was insured by State Farm since it was new, the summer of 2000. However, it was not capable of being towed, being "ground set" and skirted.

If I don't know exactly what you have then there is a good chance that a randomly chosen insurance agent will not either.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »
Be aware that insurers don't always offer the same types of policies and coverages in all states, so what State Farm does in one area may not apply elsewhere. Insurers are regulated at the state level and sometimes choose not to offer a policy if their standard one doesn't comply.

It may be that in longtimeowner's state a park model is considered a mobile home for insurance purposes and often puts it in a different policy category.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL