park model insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longtimeowner

I just bought a 2007 Breckenridge 44 ft 3 slide park model.    State Farm and Progressive will not insure park models.  What insurance companies will insure park models that are in a RV park?

This sure is an interesting question.

I would have thought you would need proof of insurance before purchase?

Well, If you pay cash,  guess that would not come up in the transaction.  If you need a loan, I would assume that proof of insurance would be a given.

I bought a mobile home, turned out the unit had never been deregistered which meant it could have been permitted and moved. The lender got a little excited to say the least. Once the paperwork was done and the axles removed it was insured as a permanent structure.

Thank you all for responding.  Yes, I did pay cash for the camper.  Having owned one just like it at the same campground seven years ago, I just assumed State Farm would insure this one as it had the other.  As for Foremost Insurance, have you had any problems with them?  I called a Foremost agent and they will insure the park model, but need pictures.  This will not be a problem, but I had never heard of them before.  Have you been satisfied with their service?

Foremost has insured our double-wide mobile home for 20+ years. Very satisfied with them.  They are associated with AARP as their mobile home insurance source.  Foremost is part of the Farmers Insurance group.

Congratulations on the Breckenridge.

Foremost is part of the Farmers Insurance Group and handles our RV insurance. I deal exclusively through our Farmers agent, including when I've looked for coverage on fifthwheels and park models. However, Foremost has a decent web site that allows you to get quotes for various products:  https://www.foremost.com/

Go back to the original post. The statement that State Farm will not insure a park model is just plain wrong. It could be a lack of communication in terms of what you mean about it being a park model.

Until we sold it last summer, we had a park model at Star Valley Ranch Resort in Wyoming that was insured by State Farm since it was new, the summer of 2000. However, it was not capable of being towed, being "ground set" and skirted.

If I don't know exactly what you have then there is a good chance that a randomly chosen insurance agent will not either.

Be aware that insurers don't always offer the same types of policies and coverages in all states, so what State Farm does in one area may not apply elsewhere. Insurers are regulated at the state level and sometimes choose not to offer a policy if their standard one doesn't comply.

It may be that in longtimeowner's state a park model is considered a mobile home for insurance purposes and often puts it in a different policy category.

I am in Washington state and after a week of googling and calling insurance agencies. I find no one will insure a “park model home” in my state. I live in an “open air condominium” where tiny homes, rvs and park models are legal. Someone has to cover them right?

Good Sam? No
Progressive? No
State Farm? No
Foremost? No
Gico? No

Nothing. What do I do?

I am in Washington state and after a week of googling and calling insurance agencies. I find no one will insure a “park model home” in my state. I live in an “open air condominium” where tiny homes, rvs and park models are legal. Someone has to cover them right?

Good Sam? No
Progressive? No
State Farm? No
Foremost? No
Gico? No

Nothing. What do I do?
The problem for you is Park Models are classified as RV's (ANSI regulated) You may need to contact your State's Ins. Commission to find out what's up. Sometimes insurers can't by State Law deny coverage to a class even though they'll try. It may be the case too that you'll need to demonstrate the home is permanently set up on site, having removed the axles and hitch.

We have a park model permanently set up on our property in Virginia. It’s insured with American Modern Insurance through Progressive Specialty Insurance Agency Inc. (800-784-0251). Virginia considers any park model 400sf+ a single wide manufactured home. The premium is $289 per year.

We have a park model permanently set up on our property in Virginia. It’s insured with American Modern Insurance through Progressive Specialty Insurance Agency Inc. (800-784-0251). Virginia considers any park model 400sf+ a single wide manufactured home. The premium is $289 per year.
If it's over 400sf it's a manufactured home anywhere. Park Models are strictly defined as RV's 400sf maximum and fall under ansi guidelines.

If it's over 400sf it's a manufactured home anywhere. Park Models are strictly defined as RV's 400sf maximum and fall under ansi guidelines.
You are almost correct:
The following is a portion of a federal statute defining manufactured homes:

"Manufactured home'' means a structure, transportable in one or more sections, which, in the traveling mode, is eight body feet or more in width or forty body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is three hundred twenty or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, and electrical systems contained therein; except that such term shall include any structure which meets all the requirements of this paragraph except the size requirements and with respect to which the manufacturer voluntarily files a certification required by the Secretary and complies with the standards established under this chapter"

You are almost correct:
The following is a portion of a federal statute defining manufactured homes:

"Manufactured home'' means a structure, transportable in one or more sections, which, in the traveling mode, is eight body feet or more in width or forty body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is three hundred twenty or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, and electrical systems contained therein; except that such term shall include any structure which meets all the requirements of this paragraph except the size requirements and with respect to which the manufacturer voluntarily files a certification required by the Secretary and complies with the standards established under this chapter"
The mfg'er of your park model apparently then only called it a park model because they hadn't read the wikipedia entry and/or couldn't spell Manufactured Home.

From my research and maybe I am wrong here. But it looks like in Washington state to be a “Manufactured home” it has to be 500sqft or larger.

I’m not taking the wheels and tung offf as the whole point to living in an Rv is to be somewhat portable. I just want something designed for permanent living. Regular RVs suck in the winter.

From my research and maybe I am wrong here. But it looks like in Washington state to be a “Manufactured home” it has to be 500sqft or larger.

I’m not taking the wheels and tung offf as the whole point to living in an Rv is to be somewhat portable. I just want something designed for permanent living. Regular RVs suck in the winter.
Therein is the sticky wicket.

"Somewhat portable" indeed. Park models aren't designed to be hauled around, so require preparation and equipment to be moved. That's part of the design standard differences that makes them a "park model" rather than a regular RV.

Back
Top Bottom