Onan microquiet 4000 generator 1993 fleetwood flair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foookee

We recently bought this rv low miles well kept..supposedly everything worked .. well the generator would try to turn over and eventually we had to replace starter .. now runs like a gem ..except no power .. everyone speaks of an automatic switch for it to roll over to gen power .. we cannot locate this is it possible that previous owner bypassed this or does anyone know location for this switch in our rv.. it does not appear to have any place to plug the shore power cord in so it should have auto switch by all the research I've done..thank you for any help..(yes we've tried all breakers inside and on gen I did see one guy video speak of a 12 volt power switch that may be off but he gave no directions to find this switch either if that is also a possibility...)

I don't think it had an auto transfer switch at birth. Yes, that probably is a modification if in fact it was changed.

You seem to indicate that you have a cord identified as use for a pedestal. That cord was probably used to plug into a pedestal or into the generator socket.

The socket for the generator would be located in the same area that the pedestal cord originates from, typically an outside storage compartment next to the microquiet. If a socket to plug the cord into the generator is not there, there should be some clue to its prior existence.

If you find nothing in that compartment follow the power from the microquiet to see where it goes. You will need to look underneath the unit and I think in the back of it. I cannot remember exactly. The wire that looks like it could be power in the front lower left area is the power coming into the microquiet from the batteries for starting.

Since no power is making its way to the 120 volt panel, it is likely that you have overlooked something or possibly the previous owner was in the middle of a modification or something similar. I would look extra carefully for a plug.

We found the ats switch .. everything seems to be in order.. still no power

Try turning the circuit breaker on the generator itself off and then back on.  Sometimes they trip without noticeably moving the handle.

Since you found the ATS this may not matter but the power out of the generator is on the same side as the power coming into the generator from your batteries for starting just below it.

One more thing

If resetting the breaker on the genset does not work, take a volt meter to the ATS while the generator is running to see if you have voltage. Maybe the switch is not switching.

Back
Top Bottom