rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Superglide 2700  (Read 1368 times)

Rue307

• ---
Superglide 2700
« on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »
I have an f150 with a 5.5 foot box. Before I realized there was different models of the Superglide, I was able to get my hands on a 2700 for next to nothing. I have been told by a reputable dealer in town that I have the right model for my truck, but some of the things I have read make me wonder if I might have trouble. Pull Right's website says they recommend the 3100 as it has a longer travel thereby avoiding any chance of contact between the truck and trailer. I have been to my dealer three times and talked with two different people and they seem sure all will be well. (the more I read, the less I feel at ease.) Does anyone have this combination, and does it work? Or should I spend the extra money and get the 3100? P.S. I have a new (to me) fifth wheel that is in storage for the winter, so going to physically see if it works is not possible until about May. Also, my trailer is a 2005 Laredo 30BH that has rounded front corners and the pin is in front of the trailer. I'm hoping to have my rig set up before the trailer comes out of storage, so I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

steveblonde

• ---
Re: Superglide 2700
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »
Sorry but
1st the pin weight it 1600 lbs plus 200lbs hitch plus you and passengers is going to well over 2000lbs very few 1500s Have a cargo capacity in excess of 2000lbs and none with 5.5 box

2nd if you look through your owners manual you will find a clause that states" Ford does not recommend towing with a truck with a 5.5" box

Sorry
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2019 F150 5l Super cab 8 ft box (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:59:52 AM »
I agree, the hitch is irrelevant.  That F150 truck can NOT even come close to pulling that 5r.  If said 'reputable RV dealer' said you could, you realy need to re-evaluate, because said 'rv dealer' misled you to make a sale.
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

rbrdriver

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:45:29 AM »
I am thinking the words "half ton" and the words "fifth wheel" don't even belong in the same sentence...... :o
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
 2019 Keystone Alpine 3700FL 42'
Visalia, CA area
Truck Driver 40 Years +
Fulltiming

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  What you get here is our unbiased advise based on MANY years of combined experience.  You may choose to listen or not.

I agree with all of the above.

1.  Any 5.5 ft bed is too short to pull a FW.
2.  Very few F150 have sufficient payload to pull ANY FW.
3.  You are asking your truck to carry 1600# FW  pin wt PLUS a 200+# hitch PLUS passengers and other cargo, totaling more than a full ton.  This is a HALF TON truck.  Granted, the payload will be a bit over a half ton, but is nowhere near the 2400 pounds you want to carry!
4.  Check the yellow placard on the truck's driver door latch pillar.  It will tell you the payload for YOUR truck as it left the factory.

PLEASE be safe!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Rue307

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 07:56:13 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the advice. I can see you are all hardcore travelers,  which I will not be doing. I purchased the truck before I bought the trailer as I had a TT before this trailer or I wold have considered something bigger. Now, I move my trailer from storage in the spring which is about 15 miles from my seasonal location once a year. I will be towing it with just myself in the truck, as my family will be following along our other vehicle which I use to travel to work in the summer. From my understanding, once the hitch is bolted to the truck, it would now fall under the gross vehicle ratings. Will I be maxed out, yes indeed. But for one short jaunt twice a year, I didn't see the need for the added expense of another truck. If I am still wrong, please advise, if not my main issue hasn't been answered. Has anyone (or know of anyone) that has used a Superglide 2700 with a 5.5 ft F150?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
Obviously this is a matter of risk assessment. The risk of a max or slightly overloaded vehicle is modest; the wheels don't fall off as soon as you exceed the GVWR by 1 lb.  If you rarely engage in risky towing, the overall risk in your life is probably tiny. However, you have to remember that risk is always a factor, especially when somebody says "Hey, let's take the trailer down to Gramma's place for the big family reunion" or some such.   We are all human and prone to forget cautions when presented with exciting opportunity, but you probably ought to reply "Sorry, we can't take that risk"..

From my understanding, once the hitch is bolted to the truck, it would now fall under the gross vehicle ratings.
What point are you trying to make here? Everything carried in or on the truck falls under the GVWR. The hitch weight, the trailer pin weight, driver weight, etc.  It's all "cargo".

As for the length of the 3100 vs the 2700, cab strikes are only an issue in very sharp turns. Rarely will there be one moving forward - it's usually backing into tight spots where the "jack-knife" angle gets big enough to bring the trailer nose into contact. If you maneuver  cautiously and watch the trailer nose, you can avoid a strike.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:25:18 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rue307

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 09:40:27 AM »
Gary, thank you. This is what I thought, and what I was told originally. I posted here in hopes of getting a little reassurance that I could make turns without contact.
Other posters here offered advice to everything other than what I was asking. I mentioned the gross vehicle rating in response to someone saying I was going to be well over the payload rating of the truck. I am aware that there are several weight factors involved, and this trailer will push the limit, but payload rating according to DOT would be in spec. if the  hitch is not part of payload anymore, but rather GVWR or GCVWR.

Again, thank you very much, it's appreciated. :)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
Stop kidding yourself.  Payload (cargo ) is basically the difference between the GVWR and the unladen (empty)weight, but in a pick-up it is also subject to the limit of the rear axle GAWR because most of the cargo weight falls on the rear axle. Any weight you add to the truck is part of the gross vehicle weight and thus limited by the GVWR and GCWR.  It doesn't make any difference whether you call it cargo or payload - it's still weight in addition to the empty truck.  If you subtract the hitch weight from the cargo and make it part of the truck weight, then the cargo/payload rating goes down by the same amount. You can't fool the scale by giving the weight a different name.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rue307

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
Like I said, it's only about 40 minutes of driving (20 minutes there, 20 minutes back) per year. I admit, it's maxing out the truck, so I am not trying to "fool" anyone. If DOT wants to have five or six different ways of measuring capacities, then technically anything bolted to the truck would then be part of the truck, and no longer considered "payload" by their definition. That would then make me legal in all capacities. I'm sorry things got so drawn out on this topic, for what I thought was going to be a rather simple question.
Thank you again for answering my question.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:02:05 PM by Rue307 »

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
Like I said, it's only about 40 minutes of driving (20 minutes there, 20 minutes back) per year. I admit, it's maxing out the truck, so I am not trying to "fool" anyone. If DOT wants to have five or six different ways of measuring capacities, then technically anything bolted to the truck would then be part of the truck, and no longer considered "payload" by their definition. That would then make me legal in all capacities. I'm sorry things got so drawn out on this topic, for what I thought was going to be a rather simple question.
Thank you again for answering my question.

20 mins or 20 hrs wrong is wrong does doing sonething wrong on a friday make it better than doing something wrong on a wednessday? And making turns on saturday is the same as friday contact is contact

And yes anything bolted to the truck lessens the payload but dont worry your wifes butt doesnt need to be bolted just seated and it lessen the payload amount

And if your going to ignore all the other advise what makes me think your going to listen the the advise about the hitch?  Seems like you know best already

Merry christmas to all
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:56:41 PM by steveblonde »
From Canada Eh

Rue307

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 08:16:55 PM »
Wow! Not really sure why so angry. I already clarified that it was only going to be me in the truck. Alone. No wife. I am within specs all around. I am legal today. Wednesday. Saturday. And Friday. I was looking for info on contact and was just told that only in tight turns would I have a problem.

My truck might not be able to do what YOU would want it to do, but my application is not yours. Would I take it across country? No. Not because it would suddenly become illegal, but because it would be too hard on the vehicle. I didn't ask for advise on whether my vehicle was legal, because I didn't NEED that info. I already have it. So yes, I already know better than you. And you obviously don't have the info I was asking for, so I am not sure why you are being so aggressive.

Merry Christmas to you too.

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
You are completely missing the point

"I am within specs all around" your not even close not even the same ballpark we re talking about payload

'Your truck's payload capacity refers to all the cargo weight that you can safely add in addition to your truck's empty weight (also known as curb weight). A “payload” could be anything from a truck bed full of garden mulch to five passengers and a week's worth of luggage."

your truck has a payload of MAYBE 1400lbs (most 1500 extra short box truck have a payload of 1100 to 1400 lbs) you are asking it to carry close to 2400 lbs (pin weight 1600lbs hitch 200lbs driver 200lbs other crap in or on the truck 200lbs ) which is 1000lbs more than what it was designed to do PERIOD with that extra weight you will have almost ZERO stopping ability because the weight will be taken off the front end - the frame will be stressed and the springs will be very close to breaking and will almost certainly be bent adversely

am i angry not at all -people are giving you safe advise - your choosing too risk yourself and others by blatantly ignoring simple safety guidelines what are you going to do if a kid or animal runs into the road? you cant stop - you cant steer out of the way because the trailer will hit the cab
it wont "suddenly become illegal" it already is
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:38:52 AM by steveblonde »
From Canada Eh

Rue307

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »
Again, thank you, but this is not information with which I am asking. You have the right idea, but your numbers are the ones that are not in the "ballpark".

The numbers on my door jam match the numbers from Ford that you will find here. https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018

You might have the formulas right, but they are no good if you are picking numbers out of thin air. Again, I AM legal.

Even your input about contact would be wrong. It would seem that when my truck would get to the point of contact, I would already be in the jack knife angle which would be unrecoverable from an emergency maneuver anyway. Unless you know from experience that I would have problems with contact well before that point. Which is what I am asking.

Thank you for your concern, but again you are not offering the information I am seeking.

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
Wrong decal you need the yellow and white one

Tire and loading information which says cargo must not exceedxxxx lbs

Drivers dide door jam
From Canada Eh

Rue307

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »
 :))
I stand by my last post. I have the right sticker.
And you STILL aren't offering the info. I need. So, if you don't have it our conversation is finished.

Cheers.

And Merry Christmas.

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »
:))
I stand by my last post. I have the right sticker.
And you STILL aren't offering the info. I need. So, if you don't have it our conversation is finished.

Cheers.

And Merry Christmas.

no problem i will make this as simple as possible for you
you need to look at the yellow decal like the one in the picture unless you have the most basic of trucks - no 2018 crew cab 5'5" box has a payload over 2320 as per

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018 "your post" you are carrying at least 2400lbs - BINGO OVER

my bet is you dont have a base model truck an XLT at the least if you have a lariet or Kingranch your payload will be less

as for cab strikes= and as per ford 2018

(2) Vehicles equipped with 5.5' box will accept a fifth-wheel hitch, but current fifth-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with this model (145" wb. SuperCrew)
https://www.ford.ca/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_ca/brand/resources/towing-guides/pdf/RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_EN_2018.PDF

if you care to post a picture of YOUR decal to correct me i would love to see it
cheers
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:50:59 AM by steveblonde »
From Canada Eh

rbrdriver

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 02:47:53 AM »
I'm starting to think he's in the "my truck will pull anything" crowd...…. :o
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
 2019 Keystone Alpine 3700FL 42'
Visalia, CA area
Truck Driver 40 Years +
Fulltiming

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
Looks like this discussion has run it's course ... no one is going to be persuaded one way or the other.