Considering buying 2004 Winnebago Chalet - 22ft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joffers

Hi All
I just wanted to see if anyone has an idea on what the value of a 2004 Winnebago Chalet with 76k on the clock. I understand this is the ex rental model. I am going to inspect tomorrow but from what I'm told its in good condition and the only issue is the outside generator needs to be repaired. Anything else I should specifically check for or ask about?
I'm thinking of having a local RV place look at it mechanically just to double check and so assuming that is all ok - what would be a fair price?
I am in Houston so any recommendations on where to take it would be appreciated (general or specific).

Look it up in the NADA RV Guide. It's just a ballpark estimate - nowhere near as reliable as car values. But its all there is except for researching other sales offers on the internet.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Value is going to highly depend on condition, and what you are willing to pay, unless the generator runs, I would work from the assumption that it needs to be replaced, a new Onan 4000 will cost about $3,100 plus installation, sure it may just be a clogged carburetor, but even just a new carburetor or similar runs around $300 for the Onan 4000.  NADA can give you a ballpark value ($15,960 average retail, and original MSRP of $59,101), but unlike with cars RV NADA is just basically a deprecation calculator, and poor one at that, which lumps lots of models together, and fails to account for popularity of specific models.  So realize NADA just gives a BIG ballpark number.

As to inspection, try to get an independent RV inspector by using the inspector locator tool at NRVIA.org

$15k is a reasonable ballpark for a 16 year old motorhome in decent condition.  Generators, though, are typically very expensive repairs and not all that easy to find qualified shops. If it's an Onan, you can get service at Onan shops; others probably only at independents (if you can find one).  Tires are another big ticket item and likely to be needed, whether because of age, wear, or damage. 6 big tires will set you back a chunk of dough.
Sellers always claim good condition, so that doesn't mean much.  And you appear to be a novice at RVs, so maybe not the best one to assess the condition.

If you meant this RV was a rental unit remember rentals generally have a hard life. Driven 85 mph and likely hit lots of curbs.

But on the plus side, rentals get regular attention from shop techs, getting returned to decent condition for the next rental. Contrasted to the benign neglect of so many private owners, that can be a good thing.

I think the tales of abused rentals are overblown. Not myth, of course, but not an everyday thing either. 

Just FYI - I inspected the RV and it appears in really good condition. Everything working except generator that I mentioned. I'm not sure I'll be boondocking with the family and so I'm ok with that risk.
Its been in private hands for at least the last 8 years and really well maintained. I have a mechanic experienced in RVs checking it out and if there's anything significantly wrong the seller will pay for it - really nice guy.
So I offered $8k and as long as my mechanic says its not a lemon then I think I have a fair deal.
I appreciate all your help and guidance.
The only thing I haven't done is actually told my wife....
B

Joffers said:
The only thing I haven't done is actually told my wife....
B

On the upside...If get the RV you will have a place to live when your wife finds out.  ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom