Problems with Garmin GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

We have a Garmin 2757 (7" screen) and a couple of problems with it. It is lifetime maps and is due for an update. Problem #1, the computer doesn't recognize it - using Garmin Express. Problem #2, the brightness will not go above 50% but will go lower. I am thinking it needs a battery replacement.

Does this seem reasonable, or does something else jump out?

I have found that my Garmin units are particular about the cable I use to connect to the computer I use both Windows 7 and a Mac.

Maybe it isn?t charging the battery when connected to the vehicle?

Does the screen brighten when connected in the vehicle?  Yes, the usb cable used to connect to the computer for Express updates does matter, make sure it is a usb 2.0 cable.  And, it will not charge the device, in my experience.

You may also want to confirm that you have the latest version of Garmin Express

Over the years I have to reinstall Garmin's Express every time I wanted to use it.
As for brightness. Not sure but it sounds like the display light is dyeing

Some USB cables are power only and can't pass data. Try the cable with another device on the same computer and see if you can connect.

I plugged it in at the motorhome dash and the screen immediately brightened. I set the brightness at 100%, which I was not able to do plugged into the computer.

I ordered a new USB cable, data capable, and things should be back to normal shortly.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Different USB ports on the PC can make a difference, as well. Some of the USB ports on a PC may not provide the power the GPS requires.

Two usb ports on that device.  The standard one is used by the vehicle adapter.  Powers and charges the device.  Battery life on the device (without a usb connection to 12v) is minimal.  The other port on the device (usb micro) is for connecting to the PC and Garmin Express, it does not charge the device and the cable needs to be USB 2.0.  Garmin is very specific with their connection cables. So, if you want to use the device outside of the vehicle, you will need a 12v power source and the vehicle adapter, and with the other cable you can do express updates and data transfers from Garmin BaseCamp.

Back
Top Bottom