Finally going to happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so we put our house on the market this time last year. We have had one purging yard sale. Bought a bigger truck to haul a 5th wheel and now we have a contract on house with a closing scheduled for Jan. 6th. On Saturday we are going on a serious look at 5th wheels. We have been looking since we put home on the market but this is for real now. I have done research on used and new. I know new will have a period of shake down where items will need to be repaired that either aren't right or have come loose. But, with used that is not so much the issue but water damage is a concern. I have read of people buying and then finding that there is serious hidden water damage. Or expensive things such as a fridge that quits working a month later. So, how do you decide between new and used?

Good luck with your search and here are my 2 cents:

New RVs can spend much of the first year in the shop for warranty work.  I've known people who had limited access to their RV during the first year.

Always pay for an independent inspection.  I think a certified RV inspector will run $200 - 300.

You will find real knowledgeable people on this forum who I'm sure can add more.

Obviously buying used involves the risk of existing damage - no different than buying any house.  That's why you (or a professional) inspect carefully. Furnishings, structure, plumbing, electrical, etc.  If buying new guaranteed no flaws, minor or serious, it would perhaps be a wise choice, but there is a chance (15%?) of either a serious defect or multitudinous smaller ones. However, there is about the same chance of near zero defects, and the rest of them fall anywhere in-between.

One thing to remember: people who buy something that is more-or-less trouble free seldom write enthusiastic blurbs on RV sites. What you see online are the complaints, not attaboys.  I've bought a half-dozen used RVs and never got one with a serious structural defect or even a non-working appliance. And I didn't always have the RV knowledge I have today...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom