Be careful with outlook/hotmail/msn emails - you can zap your account easy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I found out the hard way to be very careful with outlook/hotmail/msn mails.  Yes i did a very stupid stupid thing but there was no warning that told me that i was doing was going to destroy my account and microsoft says im screwed and have to get a new email address.

Here is what happpend and yes i am red in the face embarrassed and ticked at myself to no end...  Remember the old saying if it works dont fix it... well that apply's here.

I was on my hotmail account online (which worked fine)and i noticed that the email name was showing in camel case letters (mixed upper and lower case) MyEmailAddress like that...  And i didnt like that so i went to change it.  There is a setting called an alias and so i thought i can just edit that and fix it.  My frame of mind being (as a programmer) that in some cases DOG has a different value than dog in coding, logic that bit me in the end, pun intended lol 

It gives you an option to create an alias using outlook, so i created an alias using outlook because it would not let me create the lower case email address because it said hotmail was not a proper domain (im guessing microsoft is trying to weed out hotmail accounts, who knows)  So once i got that done, thinking that once i change it i can still use the normal account and the outlook version will just be another way to access the account.  WRONG lol     

As soon as i made the outlook account primary and deleted the camelcase hotmail version, i destroyed my hotmail address, never to be used again, its just gone forever.    All the emails are still in the account, and i can still log in.... but its now under outlook not hotmail. 

Its an email i have had for 12 years and everyone has it for my personal stuff.  So i have spent the last 2 days contacting everyone on my phone list, computer list, email list, every note or account i have set up in the last 12 years changing my email.  All because i was bored and didnt like camelcase letters.  Again there was no warning pop up or anything telling me was about to happen.

So there are two lessons here,  one is dont ever change your alias, and two is if it works dont fix it.....

That bites.....

I've had the same yahoo account for over 20 years and I would be PO if I lost it.

That said I also NEVER use Outlook anymore I had nothing but problems.

I started using hotmail back in the day because at the time yahoo was upside down and who knew if it was going to survive.  I still miss their chat rooms, had alot of online friends in the rooms for a long time, then poof gone.  I understand why, there were too many people with bot packet software that were kicking people out of the rooms just for fun.

Anyway, i think i got most of it done now.  Still have one more list to go through that is a few years old so that should be the last one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom