Musically organized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've had the Delta Strummers band song book online for 9 years. Some folks use tablets during rehearsals and concerts, while others use paper copies on music stands. A year ago I figured it was time I did the same for my own music at home and in the coach. I set up my files online, and use a couple of tablets. Now if Santa would leave a larger (12"-13") tablet under the tree.

Attachments

• Online music 8-2.jpg
    Online music 8-2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 18
I started using my iPad a few months ago.  I?ve been using it as a songwriting tool for years but have been lugging binders around for years.

I started using an app named Chord.  Once you import and format a song properly it?s pretty cool, assuming that you play it at exactly the same speed every time.  Who does that?  It has an option to link it to a recording and in theory it will keep pace with the recording.  I have not tested that feature.

Each song takes a long time to format.  I have thousands of songs in MS word format.  Word uses variable pitch fonts and Chord does not.  If you put your chords on the line above the lyric they will come out in all the wrong places.

It also has a problem with long lines.

Other than those three issues (fatal flaws IMHO) it?s OK.  It?s a lot cheaper than OnSong.

I'm just creating lead sheets (chords & lyrics), and use Open Office/Libre Office, then export to PDF. Our band MD uses MS-Word and I export his creations to PDF. All the PDFs are stored on a remote server and accessible via a browser. In the case of the band, it's been the most efficient way to distribute lead sheets and updates.

On a personal note, I find a 10" tablet a little small while performing in the band, and could use a larger tablet. This might change when I have my scheduled cataract surgeries.

Chord displays only a portion of the song per screen and scrolls just like a teleprompter.  Don?t size can be made as large as you need it to read it.  That?s why consistent speed is important.

A foot switch to scroll up down a verse, or a half page would be better I think.

I wish I could get my other eye done soon, but they keep telling me that my cataract on that side is not ?ripe?.  If both eyes were done I wouldn?t need glasses except for reading.

FWIW I have the respective song books (band and my personal one) set up so they can be sorted by title, key, or genre, and can also be searched. The song books are integrated into the respective web sites, but can also be accessed standalone. I'll post a screenshot or two when I'm up tomorrow.

Edit: Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• SongBookTable.jpg
    SongBookTable.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
One of my uke societies (as they are now known locally) has a leader who uses a program called OnSong. It only works on iPads, iPods and iPhones. However it is the most amazing piece of software. He can change the key of the whole song in one click and do all sorts of other neat things. However there is no Android version. There is no free trial download, you gotta spend $30 to buy it and try it.

https://onsongapp.com/

There are numerous online sites that allow you to do that stuff from any web browser (for free).

Chordie allows you to transpose key and fingering for different instruments for any of their thousands of lead sheets & tabs, although it's not a composer. Google finds various other tools.

Chordie is my first stop when I need a lead sheet.

SeilerBird said:
That is a cool site. I love the ability to change to different instruments.

But they don?t have any of my songs!  I?m sure it?s just an oversight on their part.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

8Muddypaws said:
But they don?t have any of my songs!  I?m sure it?s just an oversight on their part.  ::) ::) ::) ::)
I wonder why??  ;D ;D ::)

They do seem to be limited in what they have. I searched for a couple of songs and the results didn't seem to relate to my search at all, so they're of limited use for me. After reading some intro stuff on the site, it takes them a while to get a new song on there, and though they take requests, it must be a very popular song, apparently.

Still, a nice site to know about.

I've occasionally noticed that Chordie doesn't have a song I'm looking for. Didn't figure out if it was specific to some authors & their copyright restrictions. When that happens, I revert to Google.

Just downloaded/installed OpenSong as a lead sheet creator. It has a built-in transposer. One issue I immediately noticed is the same issue I see in Word/Open Office/Libre Office, i.e. if I copy/paste from Chordie or some other site, the format is lost  ???  (Probably my lack of familiarity with the software and its features).

Many years ago when I was in a band I was in charge of the music books. I recently found mine and just in time for my new guitar. I spent a lot of time getting everything just right.

Attachments

• music book 0.jpg
    music book 0.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 6
  • music book 1 (1).jpg
    music book 1 (1).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom