KOFA 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
Cyndi and I have been going to a place called KOFA for about 25 years. We started inviting Forum members a few years ago, and we've had some great rallys there. In 2020, we'll be going from Jan 16-20 and Feb 22-27. Jan 16-20 is during the Quartzsite Forum rally, but we'll probably jump in the Jeep and head up there one day to visit and/or see the show. It's about a 28 mile drive. If you can't join us, because you'll be at the Quartzsite rally, we understand. Maybe you can join us in February.

If you'd like to join us, but don't know anything about the area, it's like camping at Quartzsite, but much more picturesque. (At least we think so) Here's a link to a video I made for our family a few years ago.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

DIRECTIONS: If you're coming from the north (Quartzsite) go south on Hwy 95 for about 28 miles until you get to "Stone Cabin." (There are signs) At Stone Cabin, turn left (east) onto a dirt road called Kings Rd. The GPS coordinates for the Kings Rd turnoff are N 033.26631  W 114.23954. There's a Border Patrol checkpoint for northbound traffic at Stone Cabin. If you pass the checkpoint, you've gone too far south.

If you're coming from the south (Yuma) go north on Hwy 95 about 50 miles. After passing through the Border Patrol checkpoint at Stone Cabin, go about 1/8 of a mile and turn right (east) onto Kings Rd. IMPORTANT If you're driving a big rig, the right turn onto King's Rd is not doable without going wide and crossing into the oncoming traffic lane of Hwy 95. Kings Rd exits Hwy 95 at an angle, and it's a pretty sharp turn for northbounders. There's a dirt lot on the east side of Hwy 95 just before you get to Kings Rd, and you can pull off into that lot, drive N/E for about about 100 yards, and it'll dump you onto Kings Rd.

We usually camp on the north side of Kings Rd, a little more than a mile east of Hw 95, but we won't know for sure until we get there.

Kev

Attachments

• 87FC2A43-087A-42B0-B7CA-280D130093E8.jpeg
    87FC2A43-087A-42B0-B7CA-280D130093E8.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 7008B3B5-E2AD-40CD-B14A-A16AC30E8BE9.jpeg
    7008B3B5-E2AD-40CD-B14A-A16AC30E8BE9.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 89
It is a beautiful place Kevin. We don?t know our detailed plans for this winter, but I know we will be at KOFA and Quartzsite both though details are TBD. Hope we catch up with you sometime.

Put me down too, Kevin for the February dates.  I will be working in LHC for two weeks before the Quartzsite rally, then I'll hang around the area until the Winterblast fireworks February 13-16.  Going to KOFA after that will fit nicely.

In a perfect world, we'd join you in Feb., or even in Jan.  However, I don't expect to be able to get back to Arkansas, sign the papers on the house and get back before then.
What I really expect is for the guy who has verbally said he wants the house to back out of the deal the day before we arrive back in Arkansas to sign the papers, leaving me stuck back there dealing with the thing over the whole winter.  :(
A shame, because I was looking forward to a trip out into the desert with you guys.

I'm not clear on why you must return (and I certainly wouldn't unless a non refundable deposit was in hand). When we sold our home in Texas, we never had to leave Florida. We were sent the papers, filled them out, had them notarized, and sent them back.

Ernie

Plan to join you on both dates. Looking forward to to seeing everyone.
Can?t wait to get out of Illinois but DW says not until January. Something about Christmas and grandkids.

We will be in Vegas in January to see a gymnastic event with our granddaughter, but we are aiming for February. Hopefully we will see you then!

Heli_av8tor said:
Plan to join you on both dates. Looking forward to to seeing everyone.
Can?t wait to get out of Illinois but DW says not until January. Something about Christmas and grandkids.
I am with Theresa on this one! We leave Iowa on January 1 of the weather cooperates.

Ernie n Tara said:
I'm not clear on why you must return (and I certainly wouldn't unless a non refundable deposit was in hand). When we sold our home in Texas, we never had to leave Florida. We were sent the papers, filled them out, had them notarized, and sent them back.

Ernie

We've been renting the place for the last couple of years and we have a bunch of stuff stored in the locked attic.  Need to go through it again and get rid of most of it.
Want a couple 36" square portraits of my father painted by some artist in Italy back in the 40's? 
Yeah, me neither and of course the kids have no interest.
Besides, we have twin granddaughters that we haven't seen in a year and a half, so the DW says we're going.

This is what the rising full moon looks like over KOFA tonight.

Attachments

• rsz_full_moon_rising_over_kofa.jpg
    rsz_full_moon_rising_over_kofa.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 39
PJ Stough said:
This is what the rising full moon looks like over KOFA tonight.

Thank you.  My wife and I are in Phoenix this week for our companies yearly manager's meeting.  We were out driving around after yesterday's session, looking at the places we used to live(like 35 years ago).  At one point, the DW looks at the moon rising over the gridlock and said,"Boy, I bet that's really pretty in Quartzsite".

Hi Kevin and Cyndi
So happy to see you'll be doing KOFA in 2020.  I'll definitely be there, one or both months.  I'll booked in Tucson till Jan. 10, so may mosey to KOFA after that and arrive prior to Jan. 16.  If I'm there early, I'll look for your arrival. Or I may just arrive on Jan. 16.  I'll head to Quartzite sometime after meeting up with you guys.  February is still completely up in the air as to when I'll venture out of Quartzite and where I'll head.  Ah the joys of the nomad life.

Linda

Jane and I are looking forward to joining you in  Feb. Our first extended outing in a new to us Winnebago 26P.  I have posted re the proposed solar system under Solar and hope those of you with first hand experience will reply.
Is there a camping fee and if so where do we pay it?
Thanks,
Pat

Back
Top Bottom