rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Camper on Ice  (Read 954 times)

cerd

• ---
Camper on Ice
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
This past weekend, there were a number of people towing their campers onto various lakes and no surprise; a few of them fell through the ice.

Why do people feel compelled to drive a 6000lb truck with a 5000lb trailer onto ice this early in the year, let alone at all?

Maybe I am naive, but it sounds excessive and silly to want to bring that much weight onto the ice just for a few extra luxuries. There are some nice ice shacks out there that weight less than 1000lbs. Pull it with an ATV or snowmobile and you are still lighter than a small car.
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

Joezeppy

• ---
Re: Camper on Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »
You can't fix stupid. But at least it makes for good YouTube entertainment!  8)
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Broke Boater

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
It's about waiting for the ice, guess some can't wait. BUT, taking a RV or a icehouse on a frozen lake is something that has been going on for decades. Today's Icehouse fishing RV's are really nice, the suspension lowers and you fish thru port holes in the floor. I have fished on Lake Of the Woods N. Minn. in winter when visiting family, the ice was over 2' thick. If I lived in that cold country, I'd sure have one, they can still use it in summer,,,Gregg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=motorhome+fish+house&qpvt=motorhome+fish+house&view=detail&mid=250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB&&FORM=VRDGAR
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually crew cab 6.7 cummins
2011 Artic Fox 992
24' Skipjack custom Pilothouse,, F/V Valhalla

early bird gets the worm, second mouse gets the cheese

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »
They deserve everything they get including dro.wning Hopefully, they don't take someone else down with them
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:34:12 PM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

maddog348

• ---
  • Maddog & 'Sunny'
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
Rene ~ That is just Mean
Pam (a.k.a.-Maddog  (driver))
Kate (a.k.a.-One Eyed Old Lady {nagivator))

2 furry copilots ('Charlie' 15# Terrier/X &  'Bella' 10# Min.Schnauzer/X'

2007 Itasca 'Sunova' 26P ~ 2003 Rav4 'toad'(remco tranny pump)

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Every year there is another batch of dim wits that get themselves in trouble. A few years ago, a really large lake south of my area had spring break up early. Lake Simcoe is a fifty mile long lake, and is well know for ice fishing. A very large chunk of ice broke off the shoreline, and proceeded to float down the lake with hundreds of icehuts and fisherman on board. They called in the military to helicopter the fisherman off the ice flow. As fast as they could get these guys off there, there were others on snowmobiles watercrossing back and forth from the shore to get back to their icehuts, and go fishing. It cost the tax payers something like 100k for the military rescue. I think sometimes fisherman don't think with their heads when it comes to going fishing. Risking life and limb for a few dollar fish seems ridiculous to me.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »
Rene ~ That is just Mean
Yes, you're correct. I retract it.  Thanks.
AKA  Pep N Mem

cerd

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 07:25:46 AM »
It's about waiting for the ice, guess some can't wait. BUT, taking a RV or a icehouse on a frozen lake is something that has been going on for decades. Today's Icehouse fishing RV's are really nice, the suspension lowers and you fish thru port holes in the floor. I have fished on Lake Of the Woods N. Minn. in winter when visiting family, the ice was over 2' thick. If I lived in that cold country, I'd sure have one, they can still use it in summer,,,Gregg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=motorhome+fish+house&qpvt=motorhome+fish+house&view=detail&mid=250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB&&FORM=VRDGAR
Oh, I agree. They are really nice, but a regular camper is typically heavier than these things are as well. There were images of people hauling 28 foot trailers on the ice. Who knows what all they had in it in addition to the dry weight. Personally, I wouldn't be in a rush to be the first one out there.
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 05:59:53 PM »
No how, no way.  I've been ice fishing twice in my life, and no more.  The first time it was soooo cold, we couldn't even drink the beer we brought.  Back then, that is saying something.  As we drove out on the lake, listening to the echoing pops of the ice just about freaked me out.  I almost turned around.  My buddy convinced me to stay though.  As it turns out, the ice was 3 - 4 feet thick.  We weren't going through it.  But it was still no fun at all, especially since we didn't catch anything.  Not even a buzz!!  Horrible!
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 08:08:08 PM »
A neighbor at our Adirondack cottage has an 18' TT that he ties down on a pair of 16' aluminum pontoons connected by a homemade frame and tows it out on the lake in front of his place to use for ice fishing. He trails a long rope back to shore that he can use to haul it in if needed for an unexpected early thaw. The pontoons work well as both skis and flotation. He's talked about adding an outboard motor mount and some decking so he can use it in the summer as well...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »
A neighbor at our Adirondack cottage has an 18' TT that he ties down on a pair of 16' aluminum pontoons connected by a homemade frame and tows it out on the lake in front of his place to use for ice fishing. He trails a long rope back to shore that he can use to haul it in if needed for an unexpected early thaw. The pontoons work well as both skis and flotation. He's talked about adding an outboard motor mount and some decking so he can use it in the summer as well...

I'd like to see a picture of that.
AKA  Pep N Mem

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 09:25:39 PM »
The ice isn't thick enough yet this year, but I'll try to get a pic if he hauls it out before we head south, Rene.
Dutch

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 06:48:40 AM »
He's talked about adding an outboard motor mount and some decking so he can use it in the summer as well...
Here in the Midwest, we call that a Redneck Houseboat  ;D ;D 

ps: they are topheavy and it doesn't work  ::)
2005 YukonXL; 2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »

In that case, you could mount the pontoons on the roof for all you rednecks.   :o ::) :-\ :)) ;D ;D ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 07:14:21 AM »
Here in the Midwest, we call that a Redneck Houseboat  ;D ;D 

The TT sits between the pontoons, so I suspect it would be pretty stable. If he wanted to tow it down the road, he'd need an over wide permit... :)
Dutch