Unbelievable deal from Tracfone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have used Tracfone for the last 20 years. The first ten they were the primary phone company but for the last ten years they have been my backup phone company. I feel a lot better carrying two phones with me. My primary phone, a Pixel 2 XL, is on Google's Fi network which costs me $23 a month. I rarely use data on my phone and Fi is dirt cheap if you don't use a lot of data. They only charge for the data you actually use. I keep my Pixel on me or next to me at all times.

My backup phone is also dirt cheap. It was a $50 LG Power and it cost me $20 every three months to keep it active. The $20 paid for three months of service without adding any minutes or data to my phone. I only use the phone in an emergency or when trying to figure out why my Pixel was not working. I kept the phone in the glove department of my car. That was handy in case I got into my car and went somewhere and forgot to bring my Pixel with me.

However a few months ago I got a message telling me my phone would not work soon and I should buy another phone. I ignored that message until I tried to use the phone last week and it did not work. Turns out Verizon is stopping support of 3G networks and phones and my LG was 3G. Tracfone uses Verizon network in many areas including mine.

There are three very different options for buying a new Tracfone. You can go to the Tracfone website and pay the highest amount. You can buy it from Amazon and save a bit of money or you can buy it from eBay and get one hell of a deal. I ended up buying a ZTE Zfive C from eBay for $39. It comes with one year of service plus 1500 minutes of talk, 1500 messages and 1500 megabytes of data. If I would buy the same phone from Amazon it would cost $39 but you would have to buy an air card for at least $20 to get your service started. Buy the phone directly from Tracfone and it costs only $9.99 but you would have to buy an air card to get it started.

I bought the one from eBay and it extended my end of service day to 4/11/2021. I have 6 gigs of data, 9000 text messages and 7500 minutes of talk time now. On a phone I only use for backup. So the only thing that I care about is my service end date. It had been costing me $80 a year to keep the phone active. For $39 I got an entire year plus a much better phone. So on 4/11/2021 I will throw this phone away and get another cheap phone and another year of service. It only took me an hour to get the new phone unboxed, activated and cleaned up. The ZTE is a great little phone. It runs Android 7.1 and is very responsive. It is a three year old phone but it will do just fine as a backup.

Thanks for sharing Tom.  I have been toying with the idea of a back up phone for Donna, particularly after our daughter got a new iPhone and passed along her unlocked old I5.  I see a company called Tello offering minumal phone and texts with no data for $6 per month with no contract, but it just hasn't been important enough for me to actually find out if there are any hooks adding to the cost.  I dropped our old tracfone when they dropped calls to Canada, and quickly reinstated them, but I had already made alternate arrangements and never went back.

Ed

You are welcome Ed. One thing I forgot to mention is that Tracfone has a huge variety of different phones from the iPhone 7 at $275 down to a few for free flip phones with purchase of an air card.

I passed out 7 years ago while on the line with 911 due to a horrible headache. Since I was using a smart phone the ambulance was able to find me and get me to the hospital. Without a cell phone I might have died. So I consider a backup phone as an absolute must. A few weeks ago my Pixel stopped working and I was able to quickly determine that the phone was at fault and not the network. Google replaced the phone for free.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Thanks for sharing Tom.  I have been toying with the idea of a back up phone for Donna, particularly after our daughter got a new iPhone and passed along her unlocked old I5.  I see a company called Tello offering minumal phone and texts with no data for $6 per month with no contract, but it just hasn't been important enough for me to actually find out if there are any hooks adding to the cost.  I dropped our old tracfone when they dropped calls to Canada, and quickly reinstated them, but I had already made alternate arrangements and never went back.

Ed
The only "Tello" I find is a company selling drones, not phones. OOPS, found it way down the page as Tello Mobile on the Sprint network!!!

SeilerBird said:
a few months ago I got a message telling me my phone would not work soon and I should buy another phone. I ignored that message until I tried to use the phone last week and it did not work. Turns out Verizon is stopping support of 3G networks and phones and my LG was 3G. Tracfone uses Verizon network in many areas including mine.

I've been watching this thread since I have a tracfone and got the same ominious warning that it would stop working in December.  Turns out Verizon extended the deadline for 3G support through the end of 2020, and indeed my phone has continued working so far.  So I've made it a project for the new year to come up with a compatible phone model and try to keep my triple minutes "for life" deal.  This was my first smartphone, didn't even make it 3 years before it became obsolete.  My previous 2G phone I had for nearly a decade.  I guess we'll see how 4G/5G pans out...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/3g-hspa/verizon-delays-3g-network-shutdown/d/d-id/753147

SeilerBird said:
I ended up buying a ZTE Zfive C from eBay for $39. It comes with one year of service plus 1500 minutes of talk, 1500 messages and 1500 megabytes of data. If I would buy the same phone from Amazon it would cost $39 but you would have to buy an air card for at least $20 to get your service started. Buy the phone directly from Tracfone and it costs only $9.99 but you would have to buy an air card to get it started.

I just did this deal x2 myself... one for me and one for my teenage son's phone. He doesn't even want the ZTE phone, as he has a nicer Samsung with Tracfone service. But even $39.99 for the year of service and 1500 minutes/text/data is a no-brainer, as that service extension alone costs at least $100 from Tracfone. I can't quite understand how they can sell these phones in their own Ebay store (with the year of service) for 1/3 of that price... but I'm not complaining! In my son's case, we just activated the ZTE with his existing number, and then immediately transferred the service back to his Samsung. All done through their website and my online account. Worked like a charm!

Well my year and a half ended and it was time to renew. I went to Tracfone's web site and found out one year of service would cost me $129. So I went to eBay and bought a Samsung J2 with a year in service for $59. Half the price and a new phone to boot.

Exactly what I just did (and do) every year with Tracfone... we have 4 active lines in our house now, mine + my 3 boys. Tracfone almost always has several "last years model" on their Ebay store for $60-100 (depending on model) including another year of service bundled in. Can't be beat!

Exactly what I just did (and do) every year with Tracfone... we have 4 active lines in our house now, mine + my 3 boys. Tracfone almost always has several "last years model" on their Ebay store for $60-100 (depending on model) including another year of service bundled in. Can't be beat!
Correct. I actually forgot about the great eBay deals until this morning when the light bulb went on in my head.

Thanks for the info on Ebay.

I'm a real dum dum when it comes to cell phones and air time and all. For the last several years, I've bought mine from the QVC website or the HSN website (HSN is sometimes a little cheaper), and get the same deal y'all are getting--a new phone and 1 year of service and 1500 talk/text/data.

I looked at Tracfone's Ebay store, but it's a little confusing because not all the phones come bundled with air time, some are bundled with something other than the 1-year/1500 deal, and there are air cards, etc. in the mix. Like, I saw one that says "locked to Total Wireless"; I have no idea what that means.

On QVC and HSN, if you search for Tracfone, almost every item will be a phone with the 1 year 1500 talk/text/data bundled in with it, so it's easier for dummies like me to parse. And the prices on those two sites seem to be fairly competitive with Tracfone's Ebay store (or at least as much as I can tell, since it's hard for me to tell if I'm looking at the same "Journey" or "Rebel" phone on the various sites).

One thing I found out when I bought my first Tracfone several years ago is that the carrier is dependent on the address you use. I remember going to Target and looking at a Tracfone in person and looking at some code on it, which revealed which network it would be on, to verify Tracfones in that area used Verizon.

And one more thing about Tracfone--I let my service lapse this year and didn't notice for a few days. I hurriedly went to the Tracfone website to add a month of service for $10, just to keep it alive. It came back to life as if nothing had happened AND it let me keep all the minutes I'd rolled over from years past, which I wasn't sure would happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom