OTA, Cable long question short (I hope)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVKeithnew

Here goes,

I currently have one TV in my TT and have the OTA and cable input/outputs on an A/B switch. I?m looking to add a second TV to the mix.  My question is can I do I need a second A/B switch and split both cable and OTA between the two and run to both TVs as to watch either different OTA or cable channels and/or one Tv OTA and the other cable?  Am I over thinking?

Welcome to The RV Forum!

The only time you'll need a second A/B switch is if you want one TV on the OTA antenna and the other on the cable connection at the same time.

If you're happy with the same signal source going to both TVs (OTA antenna or cable), you can just put a signal splitter on the output of the A/B box and take the feed to each of the TVs.

Each TV can tune to it's own channel.  The only time you're restricted to a single channel on both TVs is if you're using a satellite tuner that only outputs one channel at a time.

Thanks that?s what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Also, if I replaced my separate Ant and Cable wall plates combining them into one of these 7000 series Winegard plates. Would this eliminate the need of a separate A/B switch box?

Describe the switch... most RV's have a wall plate with a 12 volt outlet, antenna connection switch and indicator light. it has a 2nd TV tap on the back.

RVKeithnew said:
Thanks that?s what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Also, if I replaced my separate Ant and Cable wall plates combining them into one of these 7000 series Winegard plates. Would this eliminate the need of a separate A/B switch box?

You have to be careful - the Winegard wall plate is also a power supply for the preamp in the Winegard antenna head.  It sends 12 volts DC up the Antenna coax to power the preamp.  Good if you have a Winegard antenna, not so good if you put a splitter on the antenna side of the wall plate to feed another A/B switch (unless the splitter is designed to pass through the DC power it will block it from getting to the antenna and may be damaged by the voltage) or you have another brand of antenna that doesn't use the 12 volts.

If you're OK with that, most of the wall plates (the ones with the 12 volt socket for sure) have a Cable TV input and a second TV output on the back side with a built-in A/B switch.  When the power button is On the Antenna is connected to both TV outputs.  When the Power button is Off the Cable input is connected to both TVs.  So yes, you could use this in place of an external A/B switch.

Pull out the wall plate from the wall and you'll see 3 connectors on the back.  Looking directly at the back the cable connection is in the center, the antenna connection with 12 volts is on the left and the second TV connection is on the right.

Here's a link to a PDF copy of the instructions showing the rear connections:

Winegard wall plate instructions

John and Lou, first thank you both for the info.

I haven?t pulled them off but what it looks like I have is one wall plate for cable and one wall plate for the OTA, I ?assume? the OTA plate is powered but does not have a switch that I can tell. The TT is a 2010 model so I again ?assume? it?s powered. I have a Jack OTA that I had been using with my old pop up I plan to put on in place of the batwing and I know the Jack needs that power also.

I guess my question is If my cable plate is a single run from the input connection on the side of the TT and the OTA plate has 12v power to it for the OTA; could I combine the two with the 7000 series? Thus eliminating the dedicated cable outlet/plate and the A/B switch

This is what I was looking at as far as 7000

https://winegard.com/products/accessories/wall-plates-power-supplies/sensar-rv/rv-7042

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom