Help identifying a leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksummers

Hello Everyone,

We have a 2015 Jayco Jayflight.  We discovered water dripping from what looks like a drain line next to the Fresh water tank drain valve.

Anyone know where this could be coming from?

I discovered it this morning and it is still dripping this evening.  There is nothing leaking inside the camper that we have found.

Thank you!
KSummers

My first thought would be the water pump.

Does it ever cycle without the water faucet turned on?

If you are hooked up to city water, and if your water tank is full, it could be a check valve in the fill system allowing water to slowly fill the water tank to overflowing.

Hi Gizmo,

By cycle if you mean a rumbling sound then yes.  We are hooked to city water and our fresh water tank is already full.  we had to use our fresh water tank 2 days ago for about 5 hours and whenever we turned the faucet on it "rumbled".  But I also noticed that it rumbled on its own every 20 or 30 minutes, only for a second or two at a time.

Is this what you mean?

Hi Back2PA,

We filled our FWT and then removed the hose, so nothing is currently hooked into that tank.

That's what I mean....

If your hook to city water then you can shut the pump off. But you will still need to find the leak. I would start digging into cabinets to locate the pump. In our case I have to remove the 2 drawers under the sink to get to the our pump.

Yes, we keep the pump off, we only use it when we have to use the FWT.
We cannot find a leak anywhere inside.  The water is leaking outside, from a water hose looking pipe.

We have our water lined buried in the ground, the only part exposed is a little from the ground to the camper and ground to spigot.  The other night our outside waterline froze, so we turned on the Water pump to use the FWT and a day later is when this leak/dripping started.

Maybe leak is the wrong word.  The water is dripping from a designated line, we just don't know where the water is coming from.

We thought maybe the fridge...

If I understand correctly the dripping occurs when NOT hooked up to city water.

Have you checked your low point drain valves? Perhaps one got bumped slightly

No, we stay hooked to city water.
Where the water is dripping from is right next to that "low point drain valve"

Ksummers said:
No, we stay hooked to city water.
Where the water is dripping from is right next to that "low point drain valve"

You indicated one low point drain but typically, there are two. Hot and Cold.

Can we post pictures on here?

yes, there are 2 drains right next to each other.  My husband has said it is only leaking from one.

Yes you can post pics

Just click on the "+ Attachments and other options"

Pics can only be 350KB

If they are low point drains..you should have a shutoff valve on each. Try opening and closing them a few times to clear out any trash in the line.

The shutoff valves may be outside, or they may be inside the RV.  If the valves are inside the RV where the lines turn and go through the floor, the handles probably pull out to open the valve and push in to shut off the flow.

ok.  I will look closely at them tomorrow and maybe try and send a pic if we don't figure it out.

Thanks Everyone!

Had the same exact issue on my RV... First the drain line may be a low point drain. (make sure the valves are shut tight) but the water may be running down the OUTSIDE of the drain line... Mine was.

Now I was able to pull the wet bay assembly (Valves and such) out a bit.. Done this in the past so I knew what tools I needed. If found two flexible hoses that were both dripping.. Disconnected the assembly from the house system (note two lines Black tank flush and fresh fill are still connected) and installed 1/2 inch plugs for the time being... IF it does not rain I'll put 'em back together Tomorrow (I have other stuff in the same neighborhood. routine maintenance stuff, i'm doing at the same time)  Other than a #2 square screwdriver and a driver for the hose clamps no other tools were needed.  The disconnect is hand tightened.

I had a leak like you describe and it turned out to be a broken drain valve.  The drain valve nipple that connected the valve to the drain line broke and leaked.  The fix was easy - replace the drain valve.  I now travel with a replacement valve in my tool box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom