Truck camper recommendations for Ford F250 with 3,759 lbs of payload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manana

Hi. My wife and I currently have a Jayco 24.5 CKTS fifth wheel that we tow with a 2019 Ford F250 4x2 3.73 rear axle with an e-locker. We plan to travel heavily with the fifth wheel for the next two years or so but then want to sell the fifth wheel and get a truck camper that will fit our current truck for weekend camping trips. We got the 4x2 option partly for the extra payload capacity for the eventual truck camper. The door sticker for the truck states we have 3,759 lbs of payload available. I am interested in recommendations from anyone that currently has a truck camper that would safely fit within that payload rating. I know our chances will be somewhat limited as the truck has a 6.75 foot bed. If any campers are made that weigh less than our payload, allowing for a small amount of gear and the two of us and a small dog, that also include a slide, that would be great. But, again, mainly interested in recommendations from anyone with an F250 or similarly capable vehicle for truck campers that worked for them. Thanks in advance!

A couple really solid and very good truck campers worth a look are Northern Lite & Big Foot.  They both are well made and are fiberglass with only one seem in the middle.  Besides that they have some nice features but they come in at a higher price point.  Less expensive but decent units are Eagle Cap, Artic Fox & Lance.  For your truck, you will likely need to stay away from units with slides which EC, AF & Lance offer. 

Have you actually weighed your current setup?  That mystical 3759 payload is just that, MYSTICAL.  heck my Ram Dually did not have that much.  You really need to some serious homework on weights, capacities, and loading.  At nearly 10,000 GVWR that means you have close to 2,000 pounds of pin weight  which is close to max for most 250/2500 series trucks.
Not trying to hijack your original question, but you need to do research first.

Yes. I weighed the new truck at the local landfill scale which is likely inspected and, I assume, pretty accurate. The curb weight with me in the truck came in at 6,520 lbs (see attached). I weighed around 210 at the time, so I figure the actual curb weight would be closer to 6,310 lbs. The GVWR of the truck, per the door sticker, is 10,000 lbs. So the payload would be @3,690 lbs (GVWR less curb weight per scale). That is just 69 lbs shy of the payload given on my truck's door sticker of 3,759. So, if I assume my working payload is around 3,600 that seems pretty conservative compared to both my door sticker and the payload given on one of the truck build sites that uses Ford's online build tool. That, pasted below, gives the curb weight of the truck as 5,945 lbs and the payload at 3,990 lbs.

XLT 4x2 SD Super Cab 6.75 ft. box 148 in. WB SRW
2019 Ford F-250 Pricing
PRICING
SPECSNTERIOR

Curb 5,945 Lbs.
Gross weight 10,000 Lbs.
FUEL
Fuel tank capacity 34.0 Gal.
PERFORMANCE
Base engine size 6.2 Liters
Base engine type V-8

Payload 3,990 Lbs.
Maximum towing capacity 13,000 Lbs.
Drive type Rear-Wheel
'

Attachments

• F250 weight from truck scale.jpg-compressed.pdf
    319.5 KB · Views: 8
Here is a copy of my payload sticker from the truck

Attachments

• payload sticker-compressed (1).pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 26
your payload sticker says 3759 but be careful 80% will be tops for weight - my buddy made the same mistake he has a Bigfoot slide in and hes not that smart (but i love him anyways ) the front end of the truck is now so light with the camper in it - that its scary as hell and how he hasnt crashed it i will never know.

one thing to be careful of is that with a 6.75 box alot of campers have an excess area longer than the box requiring you to remove the tailgate - that extra bit of camper weights a ton 
most "NICE" campers with slides etc and really designed for Duallys as they are very heavy

The door sticker for the truck states we have 3,759 lbs of payload available. I am interested in recommendations from anyone that currently has a truck camper that would safely fit within that payload rating.
The 3759 lb payload is a gvwr based payload and taken from the trucks front and rear axles. Most rv folks make a big mistake and think they could put 3759 lbs in the bed such as a TC or GN/5th wheel trailer hitch weight.
  Actual front and rear axle weights is a safer way to figure how much truck camper any size truck can carry.
Ford give the F250 a 6340 rawr. The newer gen 3/4 ton truck rear axle may weigh in the 3000-3200 lb range leaving around 3100-3300 lbs for a in the bed payload. Every person with a truck that wants to haul heavy loads needs to know the trucks unladen axle weight numbers. That way a tire or wheel or rear spring pack won't be exceeded.

I just brought home a 2020 nuCamp Cirrus 720 yesterday with my F-250 short bed.  My payload is a bit less than yours, probably because I'm 4x4 and a couple of other options.  Rides on the truck great.  I picked the 20 because it has a cassette toilet and that looked easier to dispose of than have a small black tank.  Some truck campers I was seeing had black tanks of 5-7 gallons, which means you would need to find a dump station possibly sooner than you want to.  If you are unsure about cassette toilets, watch some youtube videos about them.  No slides in this camper, but well engineered to be comfortable for two people.  And at about 2,300 pounds well optioned and wet, it will keep you under your payload capacity with lots of other gear.

Back
Top Bottom