Gel coat shine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zach1440

What is the best thing to use on my 2013 blue ridge to shine the faded gel coat

Are you sure it's gel coat? Reason I ask is that gel coat oxidizes rather than fades.

Do you have full body paint, and is the paint fading?

Some rigs have a clear coat over the paint.

And some have clear coat over filon.  Odds are the front cap of your Blue Ridge trailer is gel-coated fiberglass but the sidewalls are filon sheet fiberglass.  I don't know if either is clear-coated.  Both are vulnerable to oxidation rather than fading, but the treatment is much the same: polish with an abrasive paste to remove the oxidation haze and then bring up the shine with a finer grit polish/wax combo.

The right grade of polish depends on the degree of oxidation. The heavier the haze, the coarser the grit in the polish needs to be to scrub it off.  These pastes are known as rubbing compound or oxidation remover or color-restorer.  You should find marine/RV polishes labeled wit one of those terms. Meguiars makes a range of products for this sort of problem - https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products

Thanks for all the replies I think it?s the fiberglass not gel coat I?ll try the Maguire's thanks again

Attachments

• 6BD67279-C646-423C-BF61-FC3987E8B90C.jpeg
    6BD67279-C646-423C-BF61-FC3987E8B90C.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 32
If it is gel coat, then "Gel Gloss " should restore it.
Our kayaks are composite with a gel coat finish and the maker told us to restore the finish with "Gel Gloss"
it did a great job.

jack L

I would not expect a 6 year old fiberglass sided RV to be badly oxidized, so one of the lighter-duty polish-waxes ought to do the trick. I'd experiment with a marine/RV polish and only move to a heavier duty (coarser grit) polish or rubbing compound if necessary. A coarser grit will cut through the haze with less rubbing, though.
Besides Meguiars, there are excellent products from Turtle Wax, Star-Brite, 3M, NuFinish, and Gel Gloss Original. Dozens of boutique brands too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom