Tractor vs reefer diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

We are headed south for the winter again, and we stopped at Wells Nevada to get diesel. The car lineup was huge, but the truck island was empty, so we went there to buy diesel. After it accepted my card, it asked me if I wanted tractor diesel or reefer diesel. What is the difference?

Thanks.

It's my understanding that reefer fuel is not taxed as much (or at all).
Other than that .....No difference.

Reefer diesel is diesel fuel that was refined in places that have legalized marijuana. It has very little energy and comes with two hotdogs and a bag of chips. By the way, did you get your slide fixed Frank?

Kev

Refer diesel, (also known as "off road diesel") is dyed red to denote the difference.. Get caught using it in your motorhome and you will pay dearly..>>>Dan

Gizmo100:

I thought as much. However, being the honest person that I am, I chose the tractor diesel.

Kevin:

Canadian diesel! ?

Wait... Don't we ship the crude to the U.S., and then you refine it and sell it back to us?

We are in Ely NV at the moment, hoping to arrive in Las Vegas by lunch time on Saturday. I found a mobile RV technician that is willing to fix it. Man, those guys are expensive! unfortunately, the RV dealership right across from where we will be staying for a few days is booked up until the middle of January! Guess I'm just going to have to pay the nice mobile man....  :'(

Frank.

Frank B said:
it asked me if I wanted tractor diesel or reefer diesel. What is the difference?
Reefer is slang for refrigerator, and those are the cooling devises on some Semi trailers.  The reefer fuel does not get road and use tax.  Many of the local country boys that run diesel trucks run that fuel all the time because they purchase it in bulk for their farm equipment. As said, you don't want to get caught, but these folks do all their own mechanical work, and they probably have Farm plates that allow them to do so. 

Frank B said:
Gizmo100:

I thought as much. However, being the honest person that I am, I chose the tractor diesel.

Kevin:

Canadian diesel! ?

Wait... Don't we ship the crude to the U.S., and then you refine it and sell it back to us?

We are in Ely NV at the moment, hoping to arrive in Las Vegas by lunch time on Saturday. I found a mobile RV technician that is willing to fix it. Man, those guys are expensive! unfortunately, the RV dealership right across from where we will be staying for a few days is booked up until the middle of January! Guess I'm just going to have to pay the nice mobile man....  :'(

Frank.
Glad you found someone to look at it. I hope the $ pain isn't too bad. Sure hope we see you again this year. Stay in touch, and safe travels.

Kev

I remember being pulled over  and checked for marked fuel a few miles from a weekly farm auction. A friends brother runs it all the time in his pickup, a local gas station has purple gas and diesel pumps. He only buys a small amount each time as he does not have a farm certificate

Kevin Means said:

Glad you found someone to look at it. I hope the $ pain isn't too bad. Sure hope we see you again this year. Stay in touch, and safe travels.

Kev

Yeah, we got it fixed.  Was just the external shear pin, fortunately.  I was afraid that a gear or a pin had stripped inside the motor assembly. Motor assembly is in the $600 range, so glad we didn't need that!

We're heading for KOFA tomorrow morning, and will be back and forth in the area between Palm Desert and Lake Havasu until April sometime.

Frank.

Back
Top Bottom