DuckDuckGo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magothy1

Good morning. I'm about to set up the next laptop, and thinking of running this for a search engine. Anyone using it ?  If so, what do you use for email ? Any other suggestions on getting away from being tracked and having ad pop ups and such ? How about dealing with cookies, as in being able to escape their reach ?  Except Oreos, of course, a man's got to know his limitations.

How much does it cost?

Nothing is free...  ::)

But I hear ya, I'd actually pay for privacy, but I don't know that I could even trust that. lol

SpencerPJ said:
How much does it cost? Nothing is free...  ::)  But I hear ya, I'd actually pay for privacy, but I don't know that I could even trust that. lol 

It's simply a search engine, like Google or Bing. It's ad-supported and doesn't store personal information like Google and Bing.

I've used DuckDuckGo as my search engine for several years.  It was recommended by former forum computer guru Ned Reiter (RIP).  Works fine.  I use Yahoo for e-mail.  Browser is Mozilla Firefox.

I?ve used DuckDuckGo as search engine for safari browser on iPad and iPhone for a couple of years now. Great product. Also, my go to stand alone search engine.

I have Brave Browser, with DDG for search. It works VERY Well. I have outlook email, which is also free (and ad free), and much easier to manage than gmail.

Brave eliminates a lot of the advertising and tracking even better than Chrome with AdBlocker.

I have just started using DuckDuckGo for a search engine and so far it has worked fine, I still have my Gmail acct for email.  Does not matter what search engine you use, you can still maintain the email acct you have.

Good morning, thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to work with it. It will be good to be able to keep my current gmail account, altho I'll bet those sneaky so-and-so's will eventually figure out how to tap into that.

DuckDuckGo simply replaces Google Search. Chrome still works, and Gmail is still accessible.
You will find that the DDG search leaves off most of the ads and extraneous marketing fluff that Google likes to throw up on the screen.
The results are much cleaner. and the transactions are more private.

Like LarsMac said, the Brave web browser almost completely eliminates ads as you browse. It's become my favorite browser.

If it bothers you that the ad deletions are stealing revenue from your favorite websites, it also gives you the option to view non-intrusive ads on your own schedule and send the money they generate to those websites.

Brave's CEO is Brendan Eich, who created the Java programming language and co-founded the Mozilla Project that developed the Firefix browser.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

HappyWanderer said:
It's simply a search engine, like Google or Bing. It's ad-supported and doesn't store personal information like Google and Bing.

Please, do not put Bing in the same paragraph as.

Google.

BTW - ad-supported apps are here to help you... LOL

I simple use Chrome on my Mac. I've installed a VPN to protect location and encrypt data, AdBlock to stop (many) ads, Ghostery to block trackers, and uBlock Origin to verify valid URLS. I browse without trouble and only occasionally do I have trouble with a secure web site (such as my bank) needing me to shut off my protection so they can verify it's me.

I suppose there are faster browsers (Firefox for one as I am told) however, my set up works just fine and I know what to do when there is any difficulty.

On Windows I'm sure things are much more difficult (at least that's what I always experienced dealing with Microsoft for 38 years).

Another user of Brave browser and DDG, will give two thumbs up for both.
Brave ha eliminated all ads and lets you surf trouble free.

Corky

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom