rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: A new musical challenge  (Read 529 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
A new musical challenge
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »
Having given up on the el cheapo madolin (returned to GC as useless), I got a nice Irish bouzouki for Christmas. It's an 8-string instrument, tuned different from any of my other instruments (G-D-A-D, actually gG-dD-aa-dd - two pairs are tuned an octave apart, while the other pairs are in unison), and played quite differently. The bouzouki is great for playing Celtic/Irish songs, like this Morrison's Jig:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvsxRPpEcs  (skip the ads). Just don't ask me to dance the jig  :o

I vacillated between Gold Tone and Trinity College, the latter being significantly more expensive. The reviews said that, for various reasons, I'd be happier with Trinity College. Surprise, when I popped it into the shopping cart, the supplier applied a $135 price reduction. Still more expensive than Gold Tone, but I have a feeling I'm going to be happy with this instrument.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:21:18 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Re: A new musical challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
Today I learned there was an instrument called a bouzouki  ;)
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »
And a El Cheapo Mandolin. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:57:18 PM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
Scott, I discovered the bouzouki just a few weeks ago, when I realized how unhappy I was with the mandolin. Fortunately, Guitar Center has a great returns policy - 45 days to return to any GC across the country. So I brought it to the MidWest and returned it to the nearest GC here. No quibbles - the guy didn't even look in the box before ringing up the full credit.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
No quibbles - the guy didn't even look in the box before ringing up the full credit.

It's refreshing to run across excellent customer service
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Matt_C

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
We have the great (mis)fortune to be in striking range of Elderly's actual original store.  We were in there on one excursion where we passed near (less than 50 miles) and of course stopped in.  Mary plays guitar and other strings.  (I have an autoharp and several harmonicas that I use as threats.).  She pick up a bouzouki and was noodling.   She was getting it all figured out and then she looked at the price tag.....

We left with just the two new sets of strings (nylon and metal) and some picks and had dinner at a nice restaurant that overlooks Lake Michigan.  She thought that was a better deal. 

Matt   
A lifelong waterman with a trophy wife and a pair of mutts going places we cannot get by boat.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 02:23:17 PM »
Elderly looks like a nice store with a great history and great owners. I'd have a tough time getting out of there without at least one instrument  :)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
Like any decent stringed instrument, the bouzouki tuned right up. One thing I haven't seen with other instruments I've bought is that the bridge came packaged separately. Usually the bridge is installed and the strings left 'slack'. Some online sites suggested the bridge for the bouzouki needed to be installed by a luthier for "correct position", but I took my best guess, and it seems to have been correct, or close enough. I might still take it to my favorite luthier when we get back to CA.

Attempting to strum and pick this instrument, and after watching some online videos, I decided it was time to go back to school. So I signed up for an Irish bouzouki class online. Time will tell if I learn anything  ???
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:14:11 AM by Tom »

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
I have known about Bouzoukis for a long time. I never thought of them being Irish, though.
Had to go look it up.
I love a day when I learn something new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_bouzouki

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
Looks like a cool instrument Tom.  I had never hear of it before.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
While I'm not a huge fan of the Ukulele, I like the sound of the Bouzouki.  Then I found this.

Would you believe, the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain?  The theme song, the good, the bad and the ugly begins at 3.05 into the video.  But watch it from the beginning.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhZo3sYQho
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:45:18 PM »
While I'm not a huge fan of the Ukulele, I like the sound of the Bouzouki.  Then I found this.

Would you believe, the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain?  The theme song, the good, the bad and the ugly begins at 3.05 into the video.  But watch it from the beginning.   

I saw them four years ago and I have front row tickets to two of their three FL shows next March. Tickets for the third show go on sale Jan 26. They are fantastic.

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
Looks like a cool instrument Tom.  I had never hear of it before.

If you ever watched Zorba the Greek you heard a Bouzouki, though not the Irish one.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
Nope, never watched Zorba the Geek.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
If you ever watched Zorba the Greek you heard a Bouzouki, though not the Irish one.

One of my favorite movies.  Loved the music.  That was my first thought when I listened to a Bouzouki. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

SLOweather

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
TUOGB is one of my current YouTube faves. I became aware of them after watching The Danish National Orchestra's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The latter version is my current ringtone, and always gets smiles if it rings in public. 

2014 Itasca Sunstar 31KE
1988 Itasca Suncruiser 31RQ
1968 Travco 201