How does a slide in camper power on AC/fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ridewithwill

Pretty ridiculous question, but I get a full size RV have a generator. But I am looking at a slide in camper, primarily this below. So I am not seeing an option for a generator. Do these have plugs for generators? Id figure the battery cant run a fridge 24/7 for 3 or 4 days, so how do these get recharged? (not sure if they have solar panel) And if there is an option to attach Solar Panels, what is the recommended wattage? I tend to be out the road 3 or 4 days at a time, so this would be my primary concern.

https://www.palominorv.com/truck-campers/backpack-truck-camper/HS-750/4435

Slide in campers have shore power cords, just like trailers and motorhomes.  Plug the cord into a generator or an external power outlet.  The camper should also have its own converter charger for battery charging while connected.

The amount of solar that is enough depends on the size of the battery bank to be solar-charged and how much sunlight is available.  If you are camped in the high desert with 12 hours/day of bright sun, a 100 watts is probably sufficient, but if you only get a brief shot through the trees for an hour at noon, you would want more panels to maximize the opportunity.  And obviously you need more amps for more hours if you have multiple or large batteries. Or both.  Your mileage may vary.

90% of RVs have either a two or three way refer.  Two way is gas/120VAC electric.  Modern RV refers employ a small brain that selects the the cheapest available power source.  When not hooked to shore (120VAC) they will switch to gas, using only a very small amount of 12VDC for control circuits.  Three way refers are gas/120VAC/12VDC. 

Thank you so much, Sir!

So essentially it is almost no different vs a traditional trailer RV.

Say I want to stay at an RV resort, the slide in campers should have connections for power and water.

And to double check, while it is plugged in, whether generator or power provided by the resort, it will also charge up the battery AND run my AC, fridge, etc at the same time?

Yes but.... On a 3 way fridge 12V is used for control AND cooling if 120 Volt or propane is not used. Using 12V for cooling is not recommended as it is a 12V hungary method. You are better off using either propane or plug in and use 120V.

ridewithwill said:
Thank you so much, Sir!

So essentially it is almost no different vs a traditional trailer RV.

Say I want to stay at an RV resort, the slide in campers should have connections for power and water.

And to double check, while it is plugged in, whether generator or power provided by the resort, it will also charge up the battery AND run my AC, fridge, etc at the same time?

A slide in truck camper is no different than a TT or motor home.  It will still have a shore power cord, a propane gas system, and a water system.  The systems will work exactly the same.  The only difference is a truck camper will have smaller tanks. 

Thank you all for the replies! this new 3 way is new to me, so it is something I need to get used to. I used to be a construction worker so it could be that "traditional" way of thinking on how things are set up.

My goal is somehow be able to have AC, Heat, power TV fridge etc for 3 or 4 nights while boondocking along FS roads and 4x4 USFS trails. My guess is, I would need Solar power to constantly provide power and recharge the batteries. Extra deep cycle batteries or I should be fine with a generator.

Not sure the kind of power the AC and fridge and all that will take away or let alone, the batteries it comes with. Seems I will need to do some math to see the kind of Amps the AC, fridge and microwave puts out vs what the battery can handle.

if anyone has any tips, please feel free to say! thanks so much for all the replies though!

The air conditioner uses way too much power to run from solar and batteries - you'll have to be plugged into power to use it.

Or run an external generator, the problem here being the size of the generator and the fuel cans to run it, and the noise of the generator itself.

Yeah I figured that might be the case. I believe I can run a 5,000 BTU AC unit (or smaller if they run it) on a generator (looking at this one below)

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-2000-Watt-Generator-Compliant/dp/B07MN11GV8?th=1

at least for like 1 hour to cool it off

However shore power will not recharge your truck battery
For less money I would look at the Harbor freight Generator

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-62523.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTUyMTUzNTMiLCJza3UiOiI2MjUyMyIsImlzIjoiNDQ5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjExNzg4In0%3D%0D%0A
If you care to upgrade at a future date there is a parallel kit that allows you to hook 2 together  to increase amperage

thank you!!

12 hours @ 25% capacity that is not bad at all. at least enough to keep the fridge and fan running. I most likely wont need AC, but just would like to have the reserve, in case. I might run it 20mins to an hour just to get the hot air out for the night then leave a window fan or something running. usually the mountains of colorado stay around 40 - 50 degrees at night. I unfortunately love very cold weather and can only sleep when its very cold ha ha.

a lot for me to learn out here! tahnks so much for all the advice and support!

Chances are if you try to get into an RV RESORT. They are not gonna let you in with a Truck Camper. Most RV "Resorts" are for Motor Homes only. You need to look for RV "Campground"

Most RV "Resorts" are for Motor Homes only.
That hasn't been my experience, but it's probably wise to check if the park has "resort" in its name.  "Resort" seems to have become a popular label for any park that has more than the basic facilities.  Relatively few RV resorts are "motorhome only" and they often have motorhome or motorcoach in their name, e.g. Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort.

But do check to make sure they will let you remove the camper from the truck while you are there.  Some commercial campgrounds do not allow it.

darsben said:
However shore power will not recharge your truck battery
For less money I would look at the Harbor freight Generator

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-62523.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTUyMTUzNTMiLCJza3UiOiI2MjUyMyIsImlzIjoiNDQ5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjExNzg4In0%3D%0D%0A
If you care to upgrade at a future date there is a parallel kit that allows you to hook 2 together  to increase amperage
I know a couple people that have that HF inverter/generator and are both happy with it. Very quiet and good on gas. One of them carries it (and a couple other items) on a front cargo rack mounted on a front hitch he installed.

ridewithwill said:
Pretty ridiculous question, but I get a full size RV have a generator. But I am looking at a slide in camper, primarily this below. So I am not seeing an option for a generator. Do these have plugs for generators? Id figure the battery cant run a fridge 24/7 for 3 or 4 days, so how do these get recharged? (not sure if they have solar panel) And if there is an option to attach Solar Panels, what is the recommended wattage? I tend to be out the road 3 or 4 days at a time, so this would be my primary concern.

https://www.palominorv.com/truck-campers/backpack-truck-camper/HS-750/4435

Rridge can be run on gas. Buy a small portable Generator for the A/C.

Back
Top Bottom