Mold in new KZ 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey44

Purchased 2019 KZ Durango Gold new 23 January 2019. We live in our unit 5 months a year while in Florida for the winter. In early April before heading home for the summer, we noticed some pimples  next to the steps to the bedroom. We thought the bumps were perhaps screws coming through the wall and dismissed the issue until when we would return in November. We had an Optimum RV serviceman in the unit making some assessment on some warranty issues. When we asked him to look at the pimple's he advised it was mold. We are back in our WV home for Christmas And plan on returning to FL 5 January. The unit is currently at Optimum RV Ocala for mold remediation along with several other warranty issues. My concern is what kind of comfort can I get that the mold has been removed and have assurance that the source has been identified? Any thoughts?

Dewey44 said:
Purchased 2019 KZ Durango Gold new 23 January 2019. We live in our unit 5 months a year while in Florida for the winter. In early April before heading home for the summer, we noticed some pimples  next to the steps to the bedroom. We thought the bumps were perhaps screws coming through the wall and dismissed the issue until when we would return in November. We had an Optimum RV serviceman in the unit making some assessment on some warranty issues. When we asked him to look at the pimple's he advised it was mold. We are back in our WV home for Christmas And plan on returning to FL 5 January. The unit is currently at Optimum RV Ocala for mold remediation along with several other warranty issues. My concern is what kind of comfort can I get that the mold has been removed and have assurance that the source has been identified? Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. Someone will probably answer your question soon.

Welcome to the RV Forum Dewey44

Checking in at the repair center to see the work and insisting on knowing what caused the mold. You could use a mold test kit after the repairs are completed.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-MT1-Mold-Detection/dp/B000HYN1DW

$6.50 for the kit and $15.00 per test lab fee.

It's pretty easy to grow mold in an RV, especially in Florida (even during winter). I'd definitely look around for leaks or other sources of moisture, but wouldn't be surprised if it was just plain old humidity providing a breeding ground for spores in the air.

The small volume of air space in an RV makes it common to send interior humidity levels high with vapor from cooking, showers, the occupants exhalations, and the ubiquitous Florida humidity.  Seasoned RVers try to keep ventilation going at all times.

Back
Top Bottom