Furnace issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicademas

Hello,

My name is Nic and I have a Atwood 8525-2 furnace. I had the motor go out and have replaced it. Now it lights up and gets warm. The issue I have is when it has been off after reaching the set temp, it may or may not relight when it gets low enough to come back on. Also I should say that when I first turn it on again it may or may not light right away. I can hear the igniter go " click click click click" and i can hear the solenoid open for the propane. Its just that gets 3 trys for it to ignite but if it fails to do so the fan will just blow and it wont try to light anymore. This makes for some cold wake ups in the middle of the night.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was the issue and how do you fix it?

I had the same problem. Turned out the propane regulator was not putting out enough pressure,  even though all the propane appliances worked fine.

If it tries but fails to light, the problem is usually a poor air/fuel ratio.  The furnace is very sensitive to a correct mix of gas and air and any disruption of it typically auses failed or intermittent ignition.  There can be several causes for that, including the bad LP gas regulator that ChasA mentioned, but the more likely causes involve the air intake & exhaust tubes. Common problems are dirt or rust in the tubes disrupting the flow, and leaky gaskets separating the two or isolating them both from the circulation air path.

You can get free service manuals for your furnace at:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

The first one has more tech stuff but the second is easier for laymen.  There is also an article I've written on Furnace Troubleshooting. It explains furnace components and how they work plus some common problems.  It's in the RVForum Library at Furnace Troubleshooting

Thanks for the input. I will replace the regulator next payday and let you know if that was the issue.

@Gary RV_Wizard Thanks for the pdf. The first two you posted I found online and are what I used to figure out that my motor was bad. The last one was a good read.
Is the thermal switch suppose to stay open? I think mine is closing and opening while the furnace is running because the burner will shut off and come back on. I thought this action was normal but this being my first trailer i dont know.... I had the whole thing out to fix the blower motor and while it was out I put insulation everywhere I could to help hold the heat in. I may of blocked off to much air flow to the unit......

Is the thermal switch suppose to stay open? I think mine is closing and opening while the furnace is running because the burner will shut off and come back on. I thought this action was normal but this being my first trailer i dont know...
By "thermal switch", do you mean the High Limit switch on the burner chamber? That is normally closed and only opens if the burner chamber gets too hot. That leads to what I described in my article as "cycling on the High Limit switch".  No, it is NOT supposed to do that.  Read the section in my article on Symptoms & Causes, skipping down to the item labeled "...Burner Goes Off & On".

It's also possible that heated air is blowing out of a duct and directly onto the wall thermostat. RV makers are too often careless about design faults like that.  That makes the thermostat short-cycle, sometimes short enough that the furnace fans never actually shuts off before re-starting.

nicademas said:
Thanks for the input. I will replace the regulator next payday and let you know if that was the issue.

@Gary RV_Wizard Thanks for the pdf. The first two you posted I found online and are what I used to figure out that my motor was bad. The last one was a good read.
Is the thermal switch suppose to stay open? I think mine is closing and opening while the furnace is running because the burner will shut off and come back on. I thought this action was normal but this being my first trailer i dont know.... I had the whole thing out to fix the blower motor and while it was out I put insulation everywhere I could to help hold the heat in. I may of blocked off to much air flow to the unit......
I thought you can take the regulator apart and clean and, inspect the diaphragm for any holes, I did on mine a while back

Back
Top Bottom