Looking for boondocking along southeast coastline-beach spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amberwaves

Driving from VA Beach, through Hatteras, and onto Savannah, GA. Doesn't appear to be any RV resorts on the water...any places you've been that we can just park?

I can only speak for the lower part of South Carolina, and I can't think of any place like that. Beach access is a well guarded commodity. Hunting Island state park outside of Beaufort, SC, is beautiful. The campground isn't real big, but it's on the ocean. The beach is good for walking except during high tide at full and new moons, when tides are most extreme. I've heard good things about Huntington park in Myrtle Beach but you sure have to hack your way thru some traffic and sprawl to get there.

The barrier islands below Savannah, Georgia are mostly inaccessible by road until you get further south.

Good luck on your trip. If you like nature walking stuff, look into Donnelly wildlife management area below Charleston, SC, right off US 17. I wouldn't be keen on going in there in a large Class A or with a big 5th wheel, it's all dirt roads. The bird watching is excellent, and if it's warm you'll see enough gators to make your skin crawl. 

Are you looking for resorts or boondocking? On the outer banks in NC there is Oregon Inlet Campground. Bare bones sites in the sand dunes. It is part of the National Park Service.
If you're looking for resorts, there are several commercial campgrounds. Camp Hatteras  has sites on the ocean side and the sound side of hwy 12. I don't think you will find a place to park on the beach as the dunes will be in your way. If you do find a place to get past the dunes, you'll need a permit to drive on the beach. And you risk getting stuck in the sand. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom