Pros & Cons of bike rack on front of truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

I might need to put the bike rack on the on the front of the truck if I can't find a bike rack for the rear of the 5th wheel.
Anyone using a front mounted rack and how do you like it?
Also do you cover the bikes? I think airflow might be an issue.
Thanks

use a roof mounted rack like the thule - easier to use - doesnt add to length of unit - doesnt restrict air flow etc etc

https://www.thule.com/en-us/buyers-guide?c=bike+carriers&q=kWd49fcsD

I used a front mount for years.  Main downside, the bikes get rather bug covered  ;) 

I imagine they did. ;D They would make underhood maintenance rather inconvenient as well. A friend had his spare mounted in front on one truck, he learned to hate it.

I will look into the roof mount, the bikes weigh 50lbs each. Under hood maintenance not an issue the rack will remove easily

SMR said:
I will look into the roof mount, the bikes weigh 50lbs each. Under hood maintenance not an issue the rack will remove easily

Lifting a 50lb bike up onto the roof rack of a pick-up truck will be a challenge. I'm in very good shape for a 60+ year old, and I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. It's not so much the weight but bikes are cumbersome and don't come with handles. We used to carry four (4) 20-30lb bikes on the roof of a pop-up and that got old fast.

I'd look into getting a 2" (or larger) receiver welded to the frame on the rear of your trailer (by a reputable trailer shop) and go with a bike rack designed for e-bikes.

50 pound bike? Mine weighs like 10.

Anyway, if you have a quick-release on the front hub, why not break it down and carry it inside?

Decided against the roof rack, 50lbs is a lot to constantly put up there  that and we have a lot in the bed of the truck (we fulltime). I also posted about a bike rack for the back of the camper and we found one that will work on our existing reciever hitch.The front rack would of been nice if I could also cover the bikes during travel, we get enough bugs on the camper.?

After having the the frame and brackets checked out we decided that the rear hitch reciever would not work so the front hitch for the truck is on order.

Back
Top Bottom