RV's on Parkways? & LPG/Hazmats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVcoupleUK

Hi all

I have a couple of questions I'd appreciate some help with:-

1).  Are RV's allowed on Parkways? ( i.e. New Jersey Parkway)

2).  Is LPG considered as a hazmat when looking at road signs for tunnels?

Thanks in advance

David

Any propane restrictions will be well posted.  Many tunnels require that the propane be turned off at the tank before transiting.  Some don't allow it at all.  Parkways are just another kind of highway, and, again, any restrictions will be posted before you enter.

Most parkways in the east are for cars only. You also have low bridges to contend with. The parkways in NY and CT have bridges as low as 9'.

There are some "parkways" where trailers are not permitted and some where motorhomes are not allowed either, but not very many. The Taconic Parkway in NY comes to mind.  You are more likely to run into weight restrictions than bans on specific vehicle types, but even those are relatively rare.

You will also see signs with restrictions applying to "trucks" but in general those are for commercial vehicles rather than private RVs.  Road tolls and weight restrictions, though, do apply.

The Interstate Highway system does not have restrictions on RVs except for an overall length of 65 feet. Bridges (underpasses) will vary in height from around 13 feet 6 inches to 16 feet or more.  Other highways, particularly in the eastern US where roads are old, may have low underpasses, as Bernie says. These are not generally referred to as "parkways".

1).  Are RV's allowed on Parkways? ( i.e. New Jersey Parkway)

2).  Is LPG considered as a hazmat when looking at road signs for tunnels?

David,

Not all parkways allow RVs.  In our experience, these tend to be in the eastern U.S.  In the west we don't have many parkways.  There also are expressways that mean limited access - which may or may not have cross traffic.  In the western U.S. we tend to have freeways.  A lot of it is semantics.

Yes, some tunnels and bridges specify no LPG.  It's pretty hard for an RVer to drive into New York City, for example, because of restrictions.  Not that most of us want to drive an RV there anyway!  ;)  Years ago we had a very small RV and wanted to drive to NYC.  It took many extra miles and many hours until we found a bridge we could use that allowed LP.

Generally speaking, though LP is not a problem.  If you take a ferry, you most likely will be required to turn off your LP tank.  If you have doubts about a route, then ask local people about it.

ArdraF

RV Roamer said:
The Interstate Highway system does not have restrictions on RVs except for an overall length of 65 feet. Bridges (underpasses) will vary in height from around 13 feet 6 inches to 16 feet or more.  Other highways, particularly in the eastern US where roads are old, may have low underpasses, as Bernie says. These are not generally referred to as "parkways".

Gary

In NYS, among others you have the Taconic and Hutchinson River Parkways and the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkways in CT which ban RVs, low overhead being one issue.

David,

a couple of years ago, we toured the new england states in our 31 foot motor home. Our jumping off place was Burlington NJ. I called the state hiway department before getting on the NJ turnpike, as they have truck only lanes. I was told at that time that I could use the same lanes as autos.

We drove all the way to Bangor Maine using I-95 and the alternate interstae by passes around Boston. We crossed the George Washington bridge and drove straight though NYC on I-95. I would not recommend doing it as the road though the Bronx was worst than than the Alaska hiway. We have traveled both. The road had extremely deep pot holes and broken pavement. We jarred loose more things inside the vehicle and possibly outside that I care to mention

No where did we encouter any probition of propane or have to shut off our supply valve in our MH. The only restriction we encountered was when we tried to drive to the top of mount washington. They did not approve of our Saturn automatic transmission.

I also checked with all of  the state hiway officals of the states we passed through and was told that as long as I stayed on the major roads that I would not encounter any low over passes, (semi trucks use these hiways). Our trip traversed the upper portions of the new england staes, route 2 as I recall and the just before lake Champlain, we took a diagonal route back to Coatsville, Penn.

Hope this helps,good luck in you travels, Jerry

Jerrygroah said:
The road had extremely deep pot holes and broken pavement.

Since the term "pavement" means "sidewalk" in the UK, allow me to clarify part of Jerry's message using word substitution:

The road had extremely deep pot holes and broken road surface.

Here's a WiKi explaining it. OTOH Brits watch to much U.S.-originated TV nowadays that David is probably bilingual  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom