Happy new ukulele season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Here we go again ...

Following successful Christmas concerts and a short holiday break, the Delta Strummers resume weekly rehearsals on Jan 7th. A practice list of 21 numbers has been published to get fingers warmed up, but will change significantly before our May concert at El Campanil Theatre, Antioch, Ca.

Band members & breakout groups will audition new-to-us numbers at a couple of open mic' sessions in January; These events usually result in 50% or more of a concert program being comprised of "new" numbers.

Newcomers/beginners are always welcome, and beginner ukulele classes conducted by our Music Director help sustain/grow the band.

FWIW videos and pics of our performances are linked on our web site: http://www.deltastrummers.org

Tom - If I was anywhere near, I would come for lessons!  My daughter gave me the long sought after Uke for Christmas.  The dog has not howled once!

There?s a ukulele season?  Do I need a license and tags to hunt for one?  Is there a limit?

Never mind that last question.  Your wife will tell you when you?ve reached your limit.  I apparently reached my limit for guitars two guitars ago.

;D

Didn't know there was a limit - I have 9 ukes, spread between our two homes  :)

[quote author=kportra]It's a soprano 21".[/quote]

A soprano is too small for me. I need a concert or a tenor.

The Delta Strummers had max'd out the available space in our previous rehearsal facility. When 60 folks showed up, they were almost spilling into the parking lot. We've negotiated the use of a ballroom in an adjacent building.

Tuesday, 52 Strummers showed up for the second weekly rehearsal of 2020. This was also the second open mic' session, where individuals and small groups audition new-to-us songs for potential inclusion in future concert programs. Typically, at least 50% of the numbers in our programs have come from similar open mic' offerings.

Attachments

• 20200114_202430-2.jpg
    20200114_202430-2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BandInTheBay-3.jpg
    BandInTheBay-3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200114_203619-3.jpg
    20200114_203619-3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200114_204649-3.jpg
    20200114_204649-3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, it was long overdue. We're currently using one half to the new location and, if we max that out, we can open the slider and double the space - should accommodate a few more players. We've held a number of concerts in the full ballroom, and are able to seat 200 in the audience in addition to 50-55 band members on risers before we hit the Fire Marshall's limit.

This was also the second open mic' session... Typically, at least 50% of the numbers in our programs have come from similar open mic' offerings.

The two open recent mic' sessions produced 30+ new-to-us songs. The Maestro has been busy, and yesterday I published lead sheets for the first 9 that he's rearranged and tweaked, along with an updated practice list. This is going to be an interesting and challenging season as we practice for our May concert.

One of the yet to be tweaked songs was sung in Chinese and another in Hawaiian. Both were played/sung well but, if either of these make it to a live show, they're going to have large solo sections.

I've been waiting patiently to showcase a Welsh song (I have an arrangement with a couple of verses in English and a solo verse in Welsh). Unfortunately, it has to await the outcome of treatment at the voice clinic at UCSF; Currently, I couldn't hit a single note, and it's been that way since intubation for surgery mid 2018.

I?ve been doing a bunch of recording and have noted that my voice has lost a large bit of my former ?power?.  I attributed it to seasonal allergies but it might have something to do with having been incubated twice in the last three years.  I?ll be following your treatment/therapy for sure.

I'll keep you appraised Russ. First visit to UCSF was interesting  - a more thorough evaluation than ones I've had at the ENT doc, and instant 2nd/3rd opinions from other docs.

Currently, I couldn't hit a single note, and it's been that way since ... mid 2018

The folks at UCSF are reputed to be the best on the West coast, and several folks have told me they're the best option, maybe the only option, to address my vocal issue. To date I've made 3 visits, met concurrently twice with two Docs and also met separately with two vocal therapists. Their belief is that they can get to the bottom of it and fix it. Unfortunately, the Docs and therapists are booked way out, and my next three appointments are scheduled accordingly. Meanwhile, I have daily vocal and breathing exercises for homework.

There's some light (sound?) at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Larry, it sure feels a lot more hopeful after the recent visits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom