Roof repair questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

So the never ending saga of my Montana continues. On the way back from the repair shop yesterday I clipped a low hanging branch on a narrow road and it torn the roof material right on the edge. The tear is about 12" long and literally on the edge where the roof transitions to the sidewall. Luckily I had an unopened pack of 2 roof repair patches and used them to temporarily seal it until I can get it fixed. What I'm wondering is what will be involved in a proper repair? What would a ballpark on cost be? The metal underneath the tear is dented in a little. It's not a big deal to me if that won't affect the repairs integrity. Does that need to be dealt with as well?

Thanks

Actually, the tape is adequately permanent, though perhaps not very cosmetic. 

If it's just a slit, the usual repair is to glue down the edges of the membrane and seal the remaining gap with either lap sealant or neatly trimmed tape (Eternabond or similar).

I would go along with what Gary says, but if you have any concerns go around the edges of the patches with self leveling Dicor.

Jack L

That's what I'm going to do. I wish I would've waited until today to do a better looking job but I didn't want to chance the weather. It'll do and with the caulking added I think it'll be ok. I just need a break from all of the issues this thing has had. At least this one had nothing to do with the manufacturing of it.

Here are pics of the tear and the repair so far.

Attachments

• 20191231_153608_resized(1).jpg
    20191231_153608_resized(1).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20191231_160435_resized(1).jpg
    20191231_160435_resized(1).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 51
Damned trees. That is ugly, but you did a nice repair job.

Looks good .....Just put some self leveling Dicor on the edges and the seam and it will be better than new.

The package come with alcohol pads that were dried out. I'll clean the edges up good with some fresh and get some fresh Lap as well. I'm just glad I bought those patches when I saw them. Used to carry self and non leveling caulk as well just in case. Nothing was open at 4:0-0 on New Years Eve around here that sells it. Top edge is rough cut but no one will see that.
I still don't but the explanations for the electrical issues the service tech gave me on the slides, jacks and water pump but I guess it can always go back.

Thanks for the help guys.

to answer the question, new roof upto $5K had storm dammage and had to get mine replaced, 40 ft fifthwheel, two ac units, 2 sky lights, 2 vents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom