Unexpected Freeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmiller226

I'm sure this question or similar has probably been answered 100+ times in the forums but my google-fu isn't' the best.

I'm probably going to be living in my travel trailer full time for the next few weeks. I plan to park it in a full hook up RV park close to home. I live in coastal NC so we don't normally have hard winters. In fact, we're currently having 50's-60's daytime (sometimes 70's) and 30's-40's at night. However, it's not uncommon for us to suddenly have a cold front, bringing a hard freeze for a few days.

What precautions should I take if/when that happens? While I'm not worried about myself staying warm, I am worried about freezing pipes or water heater. In my house, I would simply leave all water pipes running slowly throughout the night. What precautions do you take in an RV, other than keeping the propane heater going, warming the inside?

Most every Coleman trailers I've seen is pretty much a warm season camper, they do not do well below freezing.  If you see a few day hard freeze coming, personally I would do a full water winterization, or head south  ;)

Had that happen to me in early fall. Here's what I did when the forecast said freezing temperatures. I may have gone overboard, but better safe than digging out and fixing broken pex water lines.

First I emptied the gray and black water tanks. Then put 2 gallons of RV antifreeze in each. I put one gallon in the fresh water tank even though it's under my couch and shouldn't freeze if I keep the inside of my TT warm. I disconnected and drained my city water hose. I also set up 2 electric heaters; one in the main living area and one in the bathroom which is above the gray and black tanks. I also opened the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bath sinks so the water lines would be heated and not freeze.

It worked. Nothing froze including me and the dog.  ;)

IBTripping said:
Had that happen to me in early fall. Here's what I did when the forecast said freezing temperatures. I may have gone overboard, but better safe than digging out and fixing broken pex water lines.

First I emptied the gray and black water tanks. Then put 2 gallons of RV antifreeze in each. I put one gallon in the fresh water tank even though it's under my couch and shouldn't freeze if I keep the inside of my TT warm. I disconnected and drained my city water hose. I also set up 2 electric heaters; one in the main living area and one in the bathroom which is above the gray and black tanks. I also opened the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bath sinks so the water lines would be heated and not freeze.

It worked. Nothing froze including me and the dog.  ;)
You went a little overboard.

I had a complete freeze up on one of my trailers when the propane ran out.
I replaced the kitchen faucet, the shower valve and the whole home water filter.
PEX is very tough and the other components will fail relieving the pressure.
You also don't need anti freeze in the gray and black tanks especially if they are empty.

glen54737 said:
You went a little overboard.

I had a complete freeze up on one of my trailers when the propane ran out.
I replaced the kitchen faucet, the shower valve and the whole home water filter.
PEX is very tough and the other components will fail relieving the pressure.
You also don't need anti freeze in the gray and black tanks especially if they are empty.
I disagree. If any water is left in the tanks, even a tiny bit, it will end up at the discharge valves. They are very prone to freezing and breaking. I always add antifreeze in all the tanks when I winterize. I have seen too many split waste valves to take a chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom