Looking for RV vacation destinations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

I am looking for ideas of where to go on RV trips in the next year or so, we live in western Louisiana, just a few miles from the Texas state line, I am semi-retired, but my wife still works full time, though she gets plenty of vacation days, scheduling dates when she can be away is difficult, and it is hard for her to be away for over 12-14 days, due to work backlog when she gets home.

We typically divide our trips into 2 or 3 types, long weekends within 200 miles or so of home, 7-9 day trips within about a 350 - 500 mile radius (1-2 driving days each way), and longer 1,000+ mile radius trips where I solo drive one or both ways and my wife flies out to meet me.  Our most recent trip in October was a 25 day long, 3,200 mile loop which included 2-4 day stops in Santa Fe, NM, Page, AZ, Grand Canyon, then my wife flying home from Flagstaff on day 13 of the trip, and me being on my own for the drive back making stops at Meteor crater, petrified forest, Gila National forest,  etc.

Anyway my problem is now turning into where to go that is within a practical radius of where we live, the Grand Canyon trip was probably at the practical outer limit range for my wife to ride along one way for.  2 years ago we did Yellowstone, and other parts of Wyoming with her flying both ways with me picking her up in Laramie, WY, this was a 4,200 mile loop.

So any suggestion on any other loop drives we should make stopping for 2-3 days at a time along the way, that are within a reasonably distance of our home?

thanks Ike

p.s. we generally try to get away from the Louisiana heat in the summer

Just for fun, pick a small town with an RV park that you've never stayed at. Then do some local exploring. I once ended up in a cheap RV park in Lima Montana which had an incredible view of snow capped peaks (in late June). The convenience gas station store was an experience because it displayed and sold hunting and assault rifles along with a lot of camping accessories. Walked to a local restaurant with a great western decor, good food, and great conversation with the owner. Only stayed one night, but got a lot of comments and laughs when I posted a picture on Facebook of all the guns in that convenience store.

It has been a number of years since I have driven up the Mississippi, though I have crossed it in places, but even that has been over a decade anywhere north of Natchez.  So a drive up the river may be an option, though my wife's sister moved to a Memphis suburb a couple of year ago, and my wife plans to drive up there without me next month and visit for a few days on her way to a work conference in Nashville.

As to pick a small town and spend some time there, we will tend to do that on more local trips, though usually it is spend 3-4 days in one town, then move 75-100 miles and do it again.  We did this in NW Arkansas / SW Missouri a couple of years ago, as well in bits of east / central Texas last spring.

Thanks, but we did Branson and Eureka Springs summer before last, it is certainly on the go back to list, but maybe wait a year or two.

We have also done Hot Springs, Arkansas, as well as the Texas Hill country, and the Davis Mountains for mid range trips in the last couple of years, along with Yellowstone in 2017, and Southern Wyoming and NW Colorado in 2016.

Issac,

Have you ever run the Natchez Trace? 
444 miles of smooth road with a low speed limit (50iirc) and no cross traffic.
There is an historical marker just about every other mile. 
There are about three free primitive campgrounds on the Trace and about 3 dozen in easy striking range. 
If you like the idea, order the book ahead of time. 

We have run the Trace three times.  Spring is best because once the trees fill out it is hard to see much from the Trace.

Matt 

The Natchez trace is on the potential to do list, I have driven the southern section of it numerous times over the years, but not recently, and have driven the full length twice over the years, though the last time was over 15 years ago.

It wouldn?t be a short destination, but we summered exploring Michigan in 2019. We particularly enjoyed the Leelanau Peninsula.  Very pleasant summer climate, lots to see and do, and plenty of wineries, breweries, and some distilleries.  We?re planning on going back this summer. 
The Asheville and Charlotte NC and Hilton Head Area SC are other areas we?ve enjoyed.  They can be plenty hot and humid in mid summer, but when LA gets cooking in May/June, they will likely be much cooler in comparison.

If you are into history, a loop through northern Virginia fills the bill. There are lots to see and do between there and La, or you can run the interstate the whole way once you make it north into Ark. Start at Winchester or Front Royal at the north end of the Shenandoah valley, then run due East to Manassas.  From there you can drop south to Fredericksburg and Chanslorsville, the Wilderness and Spotsilvania Court House. On to Richmond and Petersburg, Cold Harbor and Malvern Hill. It?s just a short hop on to Williamsburg?s Historic Triangle from there. You?ll be able to run interstates back west from there, at least to Little Rock before you head back down south. Just a thought! 

Isaac-1 said:
We have also done Hot Springs, Arkansas, as well as the Texas Hill country, and the Davis Mountains for mid range trips in the last couple of years, along with Yellowstone in 2017, and Southern Wyoming and NW Colorado in 2016.

I have to ask, in the Texas hill country, where did you go to camp, what kind of sightseeing did you do, etc. I want to go there too but don't know anything except I want to stay away from Austin.

My wife wants to go down to the area around San Antonio where there are old mission churches. I think that is going to be a spring trip (it's way too hot in summer)

I was in the hill country twice this year, and once last year in the RV though once was just an overnight stop, and stayed in Fredericksburg twice (4 days then 7 days), and Llano once for the overnight stop.

There is a lot to see and do around Fredericksburg, in downtown there is the National War in the Pacific museum, where it is easy to spend a full day, or even 2 days if you have any interest in World War 2 (Fredericksburg was the childhood home of Chester Nimitz), also in downtown Fredericksburg are a number of German food options, including a micro brewery, along with a variety of shops selling everything from fresh fudge and chocolates to a selection of hundreds of hand made quilts, there is even a store that sells nothing buy dog toys and treats.

Beyond within a few minutes drive there is also the LBJ national historic park with LBJ's winter whitehouse, as well as the historic Lukenbach, Texas site and dance hall, in recent years there has been an explosion of wineries being built in this area as well with dozens of them popping mostly along US 290, there is a hop on hop off winery tour bus that operates out of Fredericksburg on the weekends that stops at a number of the wineries.  Of and don't forget the wildflower nursery, Wildseed farms a few miles east of town.  There is even a new Elephant preserve where you can go and interact with elephants.  Spring of course also has the Texas wildflower, bluebonnet season if you time it right.

Now down to RV parks where I have stayed:

1, Lady Bird Johnson municipal park RV park in Fredericksburg on the south side of town, this is a park with a creek that runs through it, walking trail, and entertainment complex with golf course, they have I would guess around 40-50 RV sites, nice if you are self contained, not much in the way of amenities, though there are showers and bathrooms (which I did not use).  It is located next to the local airport, though it does not get much use, just a handful of mostly small aircraft flights per day

2, Oakwood RV resort, also in Fredericksburg, closer to downtown, this is an older RV resort, has a large in ground swimming pool, and I think a Hot tub, as well as a laundry room, all sites are gravel with concrete patio, many are shaded, though the shaded sites can be tight to get into.  They get a lot of weekend visitors, but emptied out during the week when we were there.  Resort may be a bit of a stretch when describing this place, my one complaint is the bottle neck at the entrance when people stopped checking in, there is no way to get around them.  If you stay here eat at Hilda's Mexican cafe across the street at least once.

3, Riverway RV park, Llano Texas, this is about 40 miles north of Fredericksurg,  great RV park for the price, using passport america 50% discount rate, I paid $17 per night for one night.  All sites are pull throughs, with gravel and sprinkler lawn area, nice big new clubhouse with laundry room, showers, lending library, etc. in the back corner opposite the entrance, and view down to the river at the bottom of the hill.  Only down side is a lot of long term residents that drive diesel pickups and get up at sunrise.  The MUST DO thing in Llano is to eat at Coopers Old Time Pit BBQ, which has been rated as the best BBQ in Texas, there are now spin off locations in Austin, but this is arguably the original, there is also another Coopers in Mason, TX originally owned by the same family that may claim to be the original, this is subject to debate as both have changed owners over the years.  Expect hundreds of people there for lunch any day of the week, even in this small town.

For nature lovers there is also Enchanted Rock, a pink granite mountain in a state park about half way between Llano and Fredericksburg.

Blue ridge parkway. Cumberland Gap.  Civil war battlefields.  All would be fairly easy drives for you.  Add Memphis is another place with some interesting sights.

Isaac-1 said:
I was in the hill country ........

WOW ! ! !

Thank you for sharing that info and taking the time to post all that. Makes me want to go out in the barn and start prepping the beast.

Luckenbach Texas. Boondock in the adjacent lot. Country western music for free - join in playing, singing or listening and having fun.

Elephant Butte Lake State Park, New Mexico. Camping on the hillside, rent a boat/kayak or bring your own. Drive onto the beach with the MH or 4X4 (your choice!).

Fredericksburg Texas - quiet town with German heritage, wineries and pioneer museum.

Crater of Diamonds State Park, Arkansas. Dig for diamonds!

One thing I want to point out for those that are following along regarding the preceding message, it is only 10 miles driving distance between Luckenbach and Fredericksburg

You might enjoy a few days at Tom Sawyer Campground, just south and on the other side of the Mississippi from Memphis.  Great view of the river for boat watching. 

Back
Top Bottom