Boondocking at Magnolia Beach TX.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Any advice on boondocking at Magnolia Beach in TX?  We will be there sometime in May or early June.  This will be our first year boondocking.  We have a 35' 5th wheel and a RAM 3500.   

I can't help about that specific location, but just wanted to point out there is free (or small permit fee) camping at spots all along the Texas coast.  The biggest issue in most of the areas is chance of getting stuck in the sand and the conditions of the sand where the beach meets the pavement on any given day.  In my experience many of these beach camping areas suffer from areas of soft rutted sand in the immediate proximity of the paved access road point.

MN Blue Skies said:
Any advice on boondocking at Magnolia Beach in TX?  We will be there sometime in May or early June.  This will be our first year boondocking.  We have a 35' 5th wheel and a RAM 3500. 

1. get there early in the week, weekends can become very busy, especially in summer.
2. don't park too close to the high tide watermark, the sand is very soft right at the edge.
3. the beach is a mixture of shells and sand, you will have no issues driving.
4. this is a free beach, no permit or fee and a 30 day maximum stay.
5. cell service is good
6. there are occasional law enforcement patrols. never had a problem in all the years
we have been. we typically leave out BBQ pits/charcoal and chairs.
7. the locals are quite friendly and many walking the beach will stop for a chat
8. June can be hot and the sea breeze off the ocean will increase humidity, you will need A/C for sure.

enjoy your stay and welcome to the boondocking club..!!

Thanks solarman.  Great info!  A few more questions for you.  1) I would assume that this is first come first served ... no reservations. Is that correct?  2) You mentioned soft sand at the edge.  Other than that will we be okay with our 35' ft 5th wheel and monster RAM 3500.  3) Any issues with our 45 lb. dog?  4) Is salt water a problem?  Thanks again.

MN Blue Skies said:
Thanks solarman.  Great info!  A few more questions for you.  1) I would assume that this is first come first served ... no reservations. Is that correct?  2) You mentioned soft sand at the edge.  Other than that will we be okay with our 35' ft 5th wheel and monster RAM 3500.  3) Any issues with our 45 lb. dog?  4) Is salt water a problem?  Thanks again.

1. yes, first come first served. no reservations
2. just park as others do, you will have no issues.
3. dogs not an issue, many people walking dogs.
4. don't drive in it.. !

It has public showers and washrooms for free. This helps to extend your water supply. We parked there with two 38 ft rvs towing a trailer, and toad. We had no problem with the sand. If you need water, or to dump, I believe they have a place in town you can use for a fee. My friend goes there every winter. He told me they have reduced the staying time to 14 days. I don't know for sure if this is true.

We spent a couple nights there two years ago. Beautiful spot. Too bad it poured rain most of our visit.

Others answers have been spot on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom