Ignition Switch Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckbear

A new issue just started and I am looking for some feedback from ANYONE THAT MIGHT HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS. Intermittently, when I turn on the ignition switch the dash lights, etc. come on as they usually do but when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. I let the key go and turn to the start position again and the coach starts right up. This seems to happen more often but not always if the coach has been sitting for a while. Anyone else have this happen and how did you correct it? The battery is NOT a problem. Thanks. Chuck

Sounds like a faulty ignition switch, but be advised that most vehicles these days don't directly switch power via the dashboard switch. The switch activates a solenoid (relay) that does the actual power transfer, so you might have an intermittent relay instead of a bad switch.  I'd suspect the switch first, though.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch, but be advised that most vehicles these days don't directly switch power via the dashboard switch. The switch activates a solenoid (relay) that does the actual power transfer, so you might have an intermittent relay instead of a bad switch.  I'd suspect the switch first, though.

Gary, I understand there is a cylinder switch for the key and an ignition switch that does the electrical. Are you saying there is a third part that is a solenoid? Where might I find this? Chuck

I have found that driving many miles with a bunch of keys, (and/or key chain gadgets/gizmos), hanging on the ignition key can damage the "interior workings" of the ignition switch itself.

Mel S x2. I've had  a locksmith tell me to use only the key without anything else.

mel s said:
I have found that driving many miles with a bunch of keys, (and/or key chain gadgets/gizmos), hanging on the ignition key can damage the "interior workings" of the ignition switch itself.

Not an issue. Only one other key on the ring. Chuck

It happens to me sometimes too Do not recall off hand if it's on the motor home. car or both. Often the key is not FULLY inserted in the lock and just finishing the insertion makes it work.

Another thing that can affect it is the PARK/Neutral switch.. Neither car nor motor home starts in DRIVE. but both will in park. some will in neutral. some not.

I have had this happen. It got worse until I had to turn the key 6 times before it would engage. I traced the wire from the starter to a solenoid on the passenger side fender which I replaced first. It was one I hadn't seen before and had a hard time finding - link below. An older parts guy recognized it as being from a large Ford diesel truck. It is a 100 amp which was used on some RVs to handle the bigger DC amp load.

When that didn't fix the problem I traced the wires back to the familiar starter relay found on most older Ford cars and trucks. It was hidden on the upper front of the radiator core support on the drivers side, behind the grill. Replacing it fixed the problem. Although it may have just been corroded connections since it is constantly exposed to rain. On a Ford forum they said either one can cause starting problems.

https://www.zoro.com/white-rodgers-dc-power-solenoid-12v-amps-80-120-106131/i/G0310651/feature-product

Had same problem. Bad connection in starter wiring. Found by holding key in start position for a minute when it wouldn?t start, then shooting starter wiring connections from battery on down with IR gun. Bad Connection was 100 degrees hotter than ambient.

Back
Top Bottom