Convection Oven Calibrate temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

We have the Sharp 1874t Conv/micro.  It doesn't seem to get to the proper temp on preheat.  Is there a way to calibrate?  I will put an oven thermometer in it to see what temp is. actually getting to.  I tried a remote sensor but the cable coming out won't let the start work,  safety feature for microwave I guess.  And I guess that works!

This unit is less than 3 years old.

I don't have the Sharp, Bill, but our GE rarely finishes its preheat, no matter how long we wait (over 20 minutes one time, before we put food in) but we've discovered that waiting a reasonable time then putting the food in works well. I suspect the preheat tracking circuitry isn't working properly, so we have to guess -- but it works OK.

Pre-heat on our GE Profile convection/micro takes around 30 minutes, maybe more, for higher temperatures.  Of course, the oven doesn't care if the pre-heat target is met or not - the only concern is whether the item to be roasted will tolerate a short time at less than the desired temperature.  We've never found it to be critical as long as the oven was somewhere near the desired temperature when the cooking begins.

Our concern is how close it gets to the desired.  and if not real close, how much time do we need to add.

When we had a GE convection microwave in the house, the manual stated it intentionally heated to 25 degrees less than the indicated temperature setting.  This was to compensate for the convection oven's greater efficiency in transferring heat to the food, so conventional recipies could be followed without modification.

Lou Schneider said:
When we had a GE convection microwave in the house, the manual stated it intentionally heated to 25 degrees less than the indicated temperature setting.  This was to compensate for the convection oven's greater efficiency in transferring heat to the food, so conventional recipies could be followed without modification.
Our home convection is the same.  Set to 350, it displays and heats to 325.

Lou Schneider said:
Our preheat problem wasn't related to that, Lou. After 20-30+ minutes the reheat progress indicator stayed in the first two or three bars, and it never told us that preheating was finished and to put the food in. So we just guesstimate when it's ready.

Janet Sedlak, the RV convection cooking guru who used to present at RV shows, says you need to use a generator to get high temps in the oven. Since I like to roast carrots at 450, we sometimes turn on the generator even when we are connected to electricity. Otherwise your oven might never get to the preheat temp you chose. She seems to be right for my Sharp model at least. And I don?t change anything while baking or roasting - not time or temp. Even in my big Euro-style convection oven at home I just check the cooking at the lower time indicated in the recipe, and everything turns out great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom