Winnebago Aspect 30J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonran5

Good morning from sunny Colorado!!

The DW and I are looking closely at the Winnebago Class C Aspect either 30 J or 30C. Was wondering if there are any owners out there who might be willing to share some candid and if warranted "Butt ugly"  advice? The reviews I have seen on RV trader are like 4.5 to 5 out of 5 stars. Would love a second opinion.
  Thanks in advance for your help.....and Happy New Year!!

~~John

John,
  Good morning!!
Thank you for the reply!  On the chassis side which would you suggest?

~~John

The chassis on a Class C pretty much is what it is. The vast majority use a Ford E450 van cutaway, and frequency of repair, recalls, etc. are the same as other Ford E450 vans. There's not a lot to debate vs different Class C models - they use near identical variants of the same Ford chassis.

The main consideration  on the chassis side is that any coach in the 30-foot range will load the EE450 van chassis to its max limits. The motorhome body & furnishings weigh enough to use up just about all the cargo capacity, so not a lot left for people and gear.  Check the OCCC (Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity) on the federal weight placard for any Class C you look at and make sure you aren't surprised by cargo weight limitations.

Winnebago generally builds a pretty decent coach but I have no personal experience with the Aspect. Are you looking at brand new or maybe pre-owned? Some years may exhibit problems that others do not have.

jonran5, apologize for not throwing my $0.02 in sooner.  Let me help you out Brother. I am a little slow. I have been Busy Living. 

Love our 30J! Boom Exclamation Point. From furniture construction to drive-ability we are happy and glad we talked ourselves out of going diesel Sprinter.  30J is perfect for the way we go out and back. 

Not sure your level of RVing, but we were coming from bringing nothing to the table but heavy on YouTube Experiences.  I had only gone camping with the Army Prior to buying one. I knew I liked something about being out there though.

What initially that made me think Winnebago is that I am old enough to know back in the 70s Winnebago was hot Iconic. Winnebago was Hip. Why?  I can?t exactly remember I am a little Hazy on that being a old 70s memory.

August 2019 we Purchased our used 2017 Aspect 30J.  We bought Private Party Sale from a Man off RV Trader. My strategy was to base my price, off Middle of scale, NADA/ Rv Pricing, No options.  That was only Ball park/ high side reality, in my mind.  That gave me a known price to what I might be willing to pay.

I actually gave him +$1000 (Still under Middle Scale) from what he wanted because it took a bit long because of Closing a sale on our San Antonio Property...Anyway...

Bottom line I felt it was worth going to Detroit with a Cashier's Check in hand on my dime from San Antonio one way with my wife.  I knew the guy was real. 
I was willing to accept the risk.  It was as he said, You would swear it was new, and for bonus he threw in solutions, etc.  Win Win. 

Adapters, all kind of RV swag accessories.

His story never changed.  It was 2000 Miles on odometer, as New Condition.  I tapped into the same board members still here that helped you 12 days ago. I asked the same, "Can you give me advice on this exact matter and exact questions?  Michigan Title, Florida Plates?  Sure I will help you out they willingly said.  That is why I joined this Forum.  Collective sharing of the experience.  Good, Bad, Ugly, and What do you think, Subjective view points.  We all know 95% of what we read on the internet is BS to include my reply to you below. Opinion is pretty much all you will see below.

Our Rating for Our: 2017/ Aspect 30 J

Fit and Finish Comfortable. 

My Big Negative: Suspension sway bar and shocks are My #1 to do.  Windy Driving is no Fun.  Air bags do augment rear shocks and help considerably.  Owner I bought from was not aware they were on there.

Another is AC: The single 30 Amp 15K AC struggles to cool in Really hot weather.  (30 Amp Service). Guy told me on this forum they all are cheaply insulated to some degree for trying to cut weight. Makes sense.

Ride complaint will vary on a personal level.  Hemorrhoids, Maybe only 1 star Rating?  All subjective to your level of X.

Ride Complaints: Seems to be a common theme amongst a lot of Class C owners in general and is probably not limited to Winnebago. What do we really expect, Ferrari Performance and Handling? 

Insurance: $500 ish per year (Full coverage USAA/Prog) as opposed to shopping Insurance for a 34PA Tiffin in the $1900 ish.

I have no complaints on performance of the engine transmission.  I have taken some big hills and that ford will clatter a bit, but only going up big hills.  I have never had the OH crap hope I make it feeling.  But have never gone west either.

My one and only Failure: I did actually have a screw from somewhere jiggle lose from somewhere in my first 4000 + I put on our Aspect ?Eagle 1?. 

Hope this at least gives you more to think about.

Happy New Year back at you.

John

Attachments

• Not Screwed.jpg
    Not Screwed.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 16
X-Roughneck said:
jonran5, apologize for not throwing my $0.02 in sooner.  Let me help you out Brother. I am a little slow. I have been Busy Living. 

What initially that made me think Winnebago is that I am old enough to know back in the 70s Winnebago was hot Iconic. Winnebago was Hip. Why?  I can?t exactly remember I am a little Hazy on that being a old 70s memory.

Well I had a 22' Winnie Indian in the 70s. Ran like a top and was problem free except for me trying to tow a VW without a transmission oil cooler. My s.i.l. had a Brave and never had anything go wrong with it. Sold mine to a military buddsy and as far as I know it might still be running.

jon ran 5, stay tuned.  I am pulling the trigger on a Roadmaster Rear Sway bar Kit and Billstein on the corners in the next couple weeks.  Keep me as a friend and IM later.  It may take a full 6 months or after I come back from Yellowstone this summer (2700 mile Trip) to give you a clear picture on the results after the suspension upgrade, but I will give you my strip away the BS, my opinion, raw.

I am going to farm out the labor on this one.  Not set up for automotive repair here at the launch pad.

Back
Top Bottom