Boston Area to Orlando

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrvlShell

We're thinking about taking our first long (both distance and time) trip in our RV going from the Boston Area to Orlando (Disney World).  We're thinking of going for about a month or so from around mid-April to mid-May.  We'd like to spend about 10 days - 2 weeks in the Disney area, with the rest of the time for travelling there and back.

Does anyone have some suggestions on good routes to take?  Would also love some recommendations on places to see along the way or favorite campgrounds along the route.  We prefer having full hookups (or at least water and electric).  We're thinking of stopping for a couple of days around Shenandoah National Park to explore a bit.  We're also thinking of maybe trying to plan a route that goes near Atlanta in one direction to check out the Aquarium there.

Thanks!

Baltimore has a nice aquarium as well - of course, IIRC, it's much like the NE Aquarium so it might not be worth it for you, LOL.

Ever been to the Smithsonian? Or DC in general? There's tons to see there but you'll want to plan ahead to pick and choose the particular sites you'd like to see. There are no campgrounds right there, of course, but I believe there are a few within a short drive to the Metro. We stayed at a KOA in MD for a week several years ago and I know Cherry Hill gets high marks. https://www.cherryhillpark.com/

Thank you for visiting Orlando and paying my taxes while you are here. It is best to use the crowd calendars to plan your visit for the least crowded days. It is still very crowded on the least crowded day but by using the crowd calendar you can get more out of your time in the park. And two weeks is just enough time to barely scratch the surface at DW. Disneyland in California would fit into one of the parking lots for the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. It is unimaginably large.

https://wdwprepschool.com/disney-world-crowd-calendar/

I highly recommend staying at the Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney World. It is wonderful to spend your entire vacation on property. Join a Disney forum and learn how the Fast Pass system works. Lots of good into on a Disney forum. This is not your parents Disneyland.

Depending on where you are near Boston, make your way through the easiest route to the I 90, from there I 84 with a detour just before Hartford, take I 91 south, then I 691 back to the 84.  As long as the weather is fine, continue on the 84 until I 81.  From there I always too I 77 though Charlotte, but many cut over to the I 95 near Richmond.  We hit terrible traffic on I 77 through Charlotte on our way down, and I would recommend finding another route.
    By going over to the 81, you miss NY, NJ, Baltimore and Philly, and all that traffic and the heavy tolls.  Depending on the time of the day, you could easily come down I 270 to the West Beltway (I 495) to I 95.  From there it is straight down 95 to I 4, to Disney.
    As for sightseeing, along I 81 is the Blue Ridge Parkway, you may want to google it.  You would have to park, and use you'd toad as the road is narrow and has low clearance, but a beautiful drive.  There are dozens of Revolutionary and Civil War sites to visit, Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg etc. If you are a golfer, there is Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head, or a history buff, places like Charleston, Savannah or St Augustine.

Ed

Ed mentioned taking a route over to Richmond from I-81. The route is I-64. The mountain hills aren't as steep as the one's on I-77 and you miss Charlotte.  The only problem I found was that I-95 south thru SC is terrible. You can feel every joint in the concrete road. THUMP, THUMP, and THUMP almost all the way to Georgia. I got a blowout because of it and there's tons of rubber on the side of the road from other people and truckers getting blowouts. I think they're trying to fix the road but that will probably take years.  I take I-77 now.

Thanks for the feedback!

Joe - Thanks for the suggestions!  We've been to the Baltimore aquarium before, and really enjoyed it, though it was a long time ago.  And we've done the DC/Smithsonian thing many times (I grew up in Northern VA), though again, haven't been there recently.  Both are things we'd enjoy doing again, so definitely options.  (Though I think we may try to avoid the DC area this trip if possible).

SeilerBird - Thanks for the tips!  We've been to Disney World many times so I know exactly what you mean about the crowds, and about two weeks just scratching the service.  Fortunately we've been so many times that we can just focus on our favorites and all the new stuff (which there is going to be a lot of as we haven't been in a few years).  And fortunately I'm already familiar with the FastPass+ system (though I really miss the old paper FastPass system).  But a lot has changed since our last visit so I'm definitely going to have to do some homework.  We're definitely planning on staying at Fort Wilderness - I'm very excited about that - never stayed there before.  If you have any Fort Wilderness tips, I'd love to hear them.

Ed - Thanks for the route suggestion - we definitely want to avoid NY area, so I like this route.  I didn't realize traffic through Charlotte could be a problem so will definitely pay attention to time of day if we go that way (or try to avoid it as you describe).  And thanks for the sightseeing suggestions - I'm going to look into those areas.

Rene - Thanks for the info on I-95 through SC.  We hate driving on roads like that with the travel trailer.  Will have to think about which way to go - "bumpy" road versus possible traffic and steeper hills.  Tough call lol.

Staying at FW is really convenient. A bus stop will be very close to your campsite and busses run every ten minutes. You won't need a car.

TrvlShell said:
.Rene - Thanks for the info on I-95 through SC.  We hate driving on roads like that with the travel trailer.  Will have to think about which way to go - "bumpy" road versus possible traffic and steeper hills.  Tough call lol.

I say steep hills. Not all that bad. Just a little more than the one's on I-64. It may take you a little longer time wise taking I-77. Roads are really smooth

As it happens, we?re at Ft Wilderness now. We?ve been here many times so here are some tips. First of all, there are no pull through sites. Everything is back in, so be well practiced as it can get very tight with narrow access roads, trash cans, site markers, trees and other campers vehicles parked every where. I don?t know how many are in your party, but a golf cart can be very convenient as it?s a large campground. Just be aware they are an additional $65/day to rent.  Get your FastPass plans made just as soon as you know when you?ll be here. The most popular rides close out weeks and sometimes months in advance. I?d be surprised if you can book one of the new Star Wars rides for the months you mentioned now.  As mentioned, this is a really nice campground, clean as a whistle with lots to do besides going to the parks. Disney transportation is readily available and free to get you around both the campground and the parks and other resorts.  After coming to the parks since they opened, we finally did the Hoop-de-doo Review here at the campground for the first time last night. It?s expensive, but for an all you can eat dinner, show and unlimited drinks, it?s not too bad; particularly for a Disney restaurant.  I also second the I81 to I77 route. Lots of good hiking in the Shenandoah Nat Park. We?ve stayed at the Luray KOA a couple of times as it?s very convenient to Skyline drive. 77 south through N Carolina takes you past Mt Airy (home of Andy Griffith) as well as the Yadkin Valley wine region.  Hope you get things figured out soon, and enjoy your trip.

Rene - Thanks again for the info!  Smooth roads sound great to me.  I think we're already leaning towards the 77 route.

Patnsuzzane - Thanks for the tips!  I'll definitely be ready to make our FastPass+ reservations as soon as our 60 day window opens (which if I've done my math right will be in February - so fortunately we have a little bit of time to get our plans set). 

If you do decide to come down I 77, I would suggest that you time your trip so the you hit Charlotte late morning or early afternoon,  What we hit was construction at around 4 PM on a Saturday, when they had lane closures with a lot of lane shifting, thus creating stop and go traffic.
    The Shenandoah Valley/ I 81 is spectacular in the spring with many lovely farms along the highway.  If you are trying to make time and just boondock, there are several Flying J stations, including one a Fort Chiswell, about a mile past where I 81 meets I 77.

Ed

Thanks for the additional info Ed!  If we end up going through Charlotte, will definitely try to time it as you suggest.

I also use the I81-I77-I95-I4 route, but boy, that's a loooong boring run on I95, and I4 though Orlando will be an extra-ugly mess with construction for the next few years.
I like to hop off of I-95 onto 200 at Yulee just after entering Florida, to 301 at Callahan and (avoiding Jacksonville completely) take that through the countryside and small towns to just above Ocala where I sidestep via 326 a mile or so over to I-75, then to the Turnpike and 429 to WDW. I've found that the travel time is not much different from the I95-I4 grind, but it's a much more pleasant drive.
If you insist on torturing yourself with I4, at least get off at Sanford, taking SR46 West to 429. The first couple of miles are construction as they complete that part of Orlando's beltway, but avoiding I4 between there and WDW is worth it.
Or you can take 417 from Sanford around the East and South sides of Orlando to WDW.
Just about anything is better than I4 from Maitland to WDW.

We too use the Yulee exit to the 302, and onto I 75 at Gainsborough, but we are heading to St Petersburg, so take I 275, thought I 95 to I 4 would be easiest, however, we have never taken it.

Ed

From Raleigh, NC we take US1 to Lugoff, SC, then US601 to Orangeburg,  SC then US301 to Ocala,  Fl. No I95 for us --- ever!

If you're visiting the Georgia Aquarium, you'll want a tow vehicle or a rental car; there's no place convenient - or safe - to park an RV in downtown Atlanta, nor near a transit station. Stone Mountain Park, about 40 minutes east, has a large campground with amenities. Enjoy your trip!

SC I-95 is horrible. Avoid.
I95 from Ga thru Fl is fine (most of road resurfaced near Jacksonville, just a short section right hand bumpy, Daytona area construction completed) 
Personally I would rather drive I95 (even thru Jacksonville rush hour) then go anywhere near 275 or Florida Turnpike north of Orlando. Too many people driving way too fast, the interchange at Wildwood is still scary.  Enjoy your trip. (by May be sure your AC is working!)

Back
Top Bottom