rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Air Conditioning  (Read 443 times)

Pilothawk

• ---
Air Conditioning
« on: January 07, 2020, 02:54:47 PM »

I have found a MH that I like.  One owner, 32 foot Winnebago Adventurer. 

The big concern I have is the engine A/C is inop.  Owner says they just run the house A/C and no problem.

So, my question is the estimated repair cost, assuming new compressor, and probable coolant swap over since this is a 2002.

Anyone have a rough estimate?  Engine is gas, Triton V10.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Means

• ---
  • SolaRVector
    • SolaRVector
Re: Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 03:45:36 PM »
It really depends on what's wrong with it. A bad compressor will cost a lot more to fix/replace than a simple refrigerant recharge. If the cause is not known, you might want to try recharging it first to see if that fixes it. It's not a hard DIY job, just follow the steps and don't over-charge it. A pro repair shop (one that you trust) will be able to diagnose the cause much easier though.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, TST 507 TPMS, 960 watts of solar, SolaRVector tilt
Lakeside, California

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:19:06 PM »
Bad Compressor can hit around 1000 dollars (Been there, Done that) give or take depending on the shop.

Also some shops .. Well Some shops can do a job in an hour that takes other shops all day at much higher labor rates.

Took my Guy about 1 to 1.5 hours during which time I had other things to do.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
I agree with Kevin, might be a simple recharge.  But if you are estimating worse case scenario, I'd estimate $2000.  Probably less, but sometimes you need lots of system parts, and the list adds up.  It's like asking the question: My engine won't start, how much will it cost to get fixed?  It all depends.  Maybe the owner will let you take it to a trusted shop to have it evaluated.  And while it's at the shop, have them look over all the mechanicals for obvious concerns.  Many people do this prior to purchasing a motor-home, especially one 18 years old.  Good luck, hope it works out for you :))
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain