Myrtle Beach SC to Gatlinburg TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philhed

I am looking for route options from Myrtle Beach to Gatlinburg. I have done some research already, but have particular concerns about the construction that has just started on I-40 and the height of the tunnels as my Rig is 13.5 and it sounds like the tunnels will only give me inches of clearance. Any alternative suggestions or am I overly concerned as a guy who suffers from OCD a bit with my new 37 FT. class A and a tow vehicle on a  dolly. I had a Jayco Greyhawk Class C before this and didn't worry near as much! ???

An inch is as good as a mile. You won't have a problem with the tunnel on I-40.

Note that a typical semi-trailer is 13' 6" so if they fit then so do you. Most any state or national highway should have adequate clearance, but you need to check even more carefully on other roads, and ESPECIALLY watch the signs.

Current interstate standards require all bridge and tunnel clearances to be 14'. No exceptions, well, the actual standard is 16' with the exceptions being 14'. If 14' clearances exist, then a marked 16' routing must be available. You've probably seen those signs that say high/wide loads must exit. Sometimes it's just a matter of exiting the highway, crossing the side road at the exit, and reentering the highway on the other side of the bridge

Thanks for your confirmations. I'll give it a shot. First time use of this forum. I'll certainly use it a lot in the future

Back
Top Bottom