The dry weight of my motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all ive been looking for manuals ect for my newly acquired 1992 national seabreeze 30 ft cant find much,, and i need to know the weight of it does anyone know what the dry weight would be? Over under 3.5 tons?

I would guess almost certainly over 3.5 tons, my 2002 28ft Safari Trek with no slides on P32 chassis has a UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) of 13,801 lbs and a GVWR of 17,000 lbs this should give you a ballpark idea, though the Treks are heavy for their size due to solid wood cabinet work, larger than average tank size, Aluminum sides and roof, etc.

It's usually shown on the vehicle registration and sometimes on the title as well.  In any case, it is certainly well over 3.5 tons (7000 lbs). Even the empty chassis without the motorhome body would probably exceed that.

Why do you want to know a useless number?  Simply take it across a set of scales.  That will tell you what your starting point is.  Then, look outside right around the drivers side front tire.  There should be a metalic tag.  That tag will give you all sorts of information like OE tires, VIN and GVWR.

I couldn't even get our rig registered in Texas w/o documenting the "dry weight" of our rig.  There isn't any weight listed on the previous title.  Plus they wouldn't even tell me where to get the rig weighed that would be acceptable to the state (said they can't promote any business).  So i'm in the process of finding a certified scale that is acceptable.
Point is, there are valid reasons for knowing the dry weight of a rig.

fraim said:
I couldn't even get our rig registered in Texas w/o documenting the "dry weight" of our rig.  There isn't any weight listed on the previous title.  Plus they wouldn't even tell me where to get the rig weighed that would be acceptable to the state (said they can't promote any business).  So i'm in the process of finding a certified scale that is acceptable.
Point is, there are valid reasons for knowing the dry weight of a rig.
Just about any truck stop near the interstate will have scales that you can use. If you are in a rural area, you may also be able to use the scales at grain elevators. The latter isn't usually calibrated on a regular because they don't need to, but its close enough to get you a ballpark number. The question is if the DMV will accept it because if you drove it there, it has fluids in it, so it isnt actually dry weight.

Try

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

Search by location, zip code, or look on the map. Totally automated, unless you want to pick up a paper copy of your weights.

We weighed our Sunstar on Thanksgiving Day.

Their website says there are >1,800 CAT scales in the US. and Canada.

The reason for the weight is to determine if i need inspection as i bought the motorhome from out of province ... i will check on that tag as i could not see a vin number on it inside the cab so i guess thats where the public vin is  drivers side frount tire ? Would that be on the frame? Need to find the vin...

No, its on the body.  Generally ALL RVs have this sticker located at the street side front corner .  On a MH that means just above the front tire.

Donn those federally mandated stickers which include OCCC, UVW, etc did not become mandated until about 2008, prior that the the labels only included such things as GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR

Isaac-1 said:
Donn those federally mandated stickers which include OCCC, UVW, etc did not become mandated until about 2008, prior that the the labels only included such things as GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR

Wouldn't subtracting GCWR from GVWR equal UVW (dry weight)?

No, GCWR is allowed max weight for vehicle and trailer, GVWR is max weight of the main vehicle without trailer.

Isaac-1 said:

Hummm those stickers have been on every RV I have owned clear back to my first 1972 Terry and my 1976 Overland MH.  Guess Im mistaken then.

The stickers have been there, it is just the information that is mandated to be included has changed over the years.

For example on my 2002 coach the sticker next to the drivers seat includes VIN, GAWR front / rear , GVWR, tire size, rim size and inflation psi, and unit serial number along with coach builder and chassis builder.  Surprisingly no GCWR listed there on my coach, though I also have a paper cargo carrying capacity sheet glued to the wall of the bathroom closet, which includes tank sizes, cargo capacity, and UVW, and GCWR though this was a RVIA industry mandated sheet, not government mandated.  (I did not know this off the top of my head, I keep photos of both on my phone)

Back
Top Bottom