DEF range on Chevrolet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stvaughn

I have a new to me 2016 Chevrolet 2500 with Duramax engine pulling a 9,000 pound TT. I?m not sure my DEF level sensor is working properly. Approximately how many miles per gallon of DEF usage should I expect while pulling the trailer?

Thanks, Steve

I just checked my owners manual and when the level gets down to where I only have 1000 miles remaining, I'll get a warning light. I have never seen that light because I top off my tank every so often.  I drive from NH to FL, about 1500 miles, and I think I use around 2 1/2 gallons of DEF.  With mine, if the fluid gets to a certain low point, the engine will start loosing power. If I continue to drive it, it just looses more power. I think eventually the engine just stops. Now, I just add fluid when I think of it.  2 1/2 gallons goes a long way

I have a 2013 Duramax and the DEF level monitor is pretty accurate. I think I read the truck will go about 5,000 miles on a full DEF tank. You might just top it off every 2000 miles and you'd be safe.

I have a RAM 3500 Cummins and about 3000 miles gets me a little below half on my gage when not towing. I don?t tow enough to know how it affects things yet.

Mine is a Ford, but my "add DEF" warning came on about 20 miles before the Oil change warning came on.  DEF refill is part of most oil change / fluid refill service.  Just let them refill for free every oil change.  I was around 6,000 miles when the DEF light came on.

1carguy said:
I have a 2013 Duramax and the DEF level monitor is pretty accurate. I think I read the truck will go about 5,000 miles on a full DEF tank. You might just top it off every 2000 miles and you'd be safe.

i agree on the distance part  - but  the DEF gauge on the Chevy is not great, it will say 1000 miles then 500 2 mins later then 200 5 mins later (i know lol) my 2013 i would just carry a spare jug of DEF in the tool box along with windshield washer fluid and other stuff, buying DEF at gas stations by the jug is expensive, the pump DEF is cheap but not everyone has it.

DEF usage came about in diesel engines built in 2010 and later. It is used in the DPF (diesel particulate filter) to clean the filter. It is injected into the DPF not the engine as some people think.

ChasA said:
DEF usage came about in diesel engines built in 2010 and later. It is used in the DPF (diesel particulate filter) to clean the filter. It is injected into the DPF not the engine as some people think.

2008 was the first year of the 2nd gen "CLEAN BURNING" diesels - No DEF but they always went into a REGEN mode - the idea was to reburn exhuast gases so they wouldnt emit emmissions - what a joke my 2008 Duramax got 8mpg and would go into regen mode time after time after time - they 2009 DEF was used in Heavy Equipment 2010 Light duty trucks were added to the list -  in Europe they use ADBLUE same stuff

DEF is an additive to the exhaust gas, I believe, to convert the carbon to CO2 and water, reducing emissions.  I thought it started in 2010 or 2011, but I will defer to Steve.  The primary ingredient is urine, so it is sometimes called horse piss or similar.  It smells the part.  Usage is less than 1000 miles per gallon of DEF.

In my 15 Duramax I trust the gauge on adding DEF.  It warns at 1000 miles before it starts to derate the engine.  I just haven't tracked this close enough to tell you how many miles I get between the need to re-fill.  Sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom