Transporting long guns into Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I know handguns are a no no, what are the regs for transporting long guns into Canada? Loaded, unloaded, locked, inaccessible, transport in RV (trailer), transport in vehicle, etc?
Thx

Here is one website that has some information....

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms

You are better off contacting the border crossing where you intend to enter Canada or the RCMP Near where the crossing is located for more detail so you don?t wind up with problems. 

Generally the transport or storage is with a trigger lock or equivalent disable, separate amo storage and there are limitations on magazine capacity - as with many places in the US. 

Back2PA said:
Thanks. Probably just leave em behind

That is much simpler....  even then make sure you don?t have a stray live load or component somewhere if they decide to give your RV a special inspection. 

Yes, that happened to a friend of ours. They pulled her 5th wheel out for a special look over and found 9 mm cartridges in an overhead cabinet. The Glock itself was back in Arizona. They made her walk back across the border (a pretty long hike) and turn them in to a gun store. Needless to say she was a basket case for quite a while.

Years ago I was stationed with the USAF in Canada.  In my household goods was a bolt action rifle.  I obtained the pertinent form, filled everything out and declared it upon entering Canada.  No problem.  Coming back I declared it, presented the form and they inspected that rifle six ways from sunday, then tore my vehicle apart looking for who knows what.  Left all my belongings out on the ground and said I was free to go.  Was never happier to be back in the USA.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

In 2012 I went to Alaska. I took a 12 Ga pump shotgun with me.  The form was a one page "temporary permit".  Filled it out in triplicate as required. Presented it when crossing the border. Was instructed to park and go inside.

I went in and went to the counter, and presented the form. An agent walked outside with me to inspect the gun. I had it secured in a locking gun rack under the bed, unloaded.  I pointed to where it was at, and handed the agent the key to the lock. He instructed that I go wait outside, which I did. 

He came out a few minutes later and walked past me, only stating "nice lock".  I went back inside and paid my $25 permit fee, they stamped the form and I was done.  From then on at every border crossing I came to I presented the permit and the agent waived me through without question. 

The only warning is that on the permit form you fill out, under the reason for the gun write "wild animal protection" and not personal protection. You are not allowed to possess a firearm for personal protection in Canada.  I also didn't bring any shells for the gun, opting to purchase them while in Canada, which was easy. 

There were other parts to the overall border crossing story, but that was the only part that pertained to the firearm. I had also opted to leave a hunting knife at home as I didn't want it to become an issue. I later learned that does not regulate knifes so it would not have been an issue at the border.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom