Yet Another A/C Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothawk

I am looking at the purchase of an older 32 foot Winnebago motorhome.  It has one 15,000btu A/C.  Additionally is is wired for 30 amps so adding another a/c unit is not possible. 

Owner swears the coach stays cool even on hot Florida days.

Talked to Winnebago dealer and he says it should be OK...but don?t expect much cooler than 15-20 below ambient in any circumstance.  He claims might be advisable to put in new, more efficient a/c unit when time permits.says the MH has more insulation than typical trailer.

Your thoughts.

Btw, I do like the 30 AMP service.  The travel trailer I have now is a 50 amp unit...and finding sites in this area is a challenge.  At Piney in TN, only about 15% of their sites have 50 amp.

Nothing prevents you from plugging a 50A RV to a 30A outlet - adapters are inexpensive and fully functional.  You just have to live with the 30A limitation.

As for the single a/c being adequate, it's a highly personal judgment call.  15-20 below outside ambient on a 95-98 F.  Florida day means as high as 83 inside. We've lived in FL for 43 years and think 80-82 is comfortable, but my friends in western North Carolina think anything over 75 is hot.

Another factor is uneven cooling. Even with ducted air, a single unit is probably going to leave 3-5 degree difference in various areas throughout the interior. A common complaint is that the bedroom doesn't cool enough (for rigs where the primary a/c outlet is toward the front).

If you want to add a 2nd A/C no problem I will tell you how to do it.

First the only real problem.. Wireing it .. if the wires do not already exist in the RV (just not connected) you are going to have to figure out how to run 'em.

Run the 12 ga (or larger) 120 volt wiring to a standard 20 amp INLET (your choice of twist lock or push on I'd use twist but .. Well read on) via a 20 amp breaker.. The breaker should be inside the RV but can be in an weather protected outside site.

a 12 ga extension cord (get 50 feet) to the park's 20 amp outlet and the job is done.. In most parks  (Some you can't do that).  you can get real nice 12ga cords at most big box home improvement stores as well as Sears/K-mart and some hardware stores.   

One request.. IF you change the end on the cord to a twist lock, or build a dogbone as the owner of my 2nd traile did

PLEASE GET THE WIRES RIGHT.. He hooked the white wire to teh copper colored screw and the black to the silver. Liked to knock me on my ...er... pride till I figured it out (Neutral Hot reverse) use a Three light outlet tester to confirm after hookup.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
15-20 below outside ambient on a 95-98 F.  Florida day means as high as 83 inside.
Last summer I made a trip home in my 30' class A in the heat of the day, dash reported 103F outside.  Genset and roof A/C was running as well as dash A/C.  Inside temp was 78F.  I've never tested it sitting roasting in the sun with just the rooftop AC but it's probably safe to say below 80F with one A/C when it's a hunnerd plus outside is optimistic.  Not sure you'd get there with just a slightly bigger single unit, a 2nd unit is what you'd need to get the BTU up to where you need it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I follow a Aspect forum on FB.  I own a 30J, with 1 each 15K AC.  I have been accused of being a Freon junkie.  I have found the RV to be hot on hot days with AC Cranked MAX. 

The Triple slide of the coach I am sure adds to the dang it's hot in here reality.  Me I hate humidity!!!!  Once it hits 85-90 degrees it is too hot inside!!!!!  I can be in the desert and if 85 windy, bearable, barely. It gets hot enough for me that I am like screw it, and I will open the windows for the breeze and AC blasting at the same time.

I have read where people buy a second portable room AC at the HD or Lowes.  Place it between passenger and driver seats in cockpit area.  Run the elec out the LV room slide and direct connect to the power pole at RV park eliminating the over load that would be if they tied AC 2 into the 30 Amp Service.  I would think doing this one would need a short good thick extension cord.  They vent it out the driver's window, Jury Rigging the exhaust patching in the air gaps to keep heat out. 

I find myself shutting the louvers in the Living area or bedroom headliner areas to force the bulk of the cool to areas I am hanging out it,  which helps somewhat.

I am not going to cross 2nd AC to use this way off my list potential upgrades.  Did I mention I love AC?  We do like the Full Hook Ups, I can't say that a spare 110 receptacle is available at all parks but I know when I need to run my Air Compressor, I have always found one to plug into on the pedestal delivering power to my Rig.

Love the 30J, but it get's a bit claustrophobic sometimes with the pack, 2 Dogs, Mama and Me.  Makes 1115 ft house seem big when we come back to the Sticks and Bricks.

My lesson learned:  Avoid Hot Areas and you will just fine.

John From Detroit said:
PLEASE GET THE WIRES RIGHT.. He hooked the white wire to teh copper colored screw and the black to the silver. Liked to knock me on my ...er... pride till I figured it out (Neutral Hot reverse) use a Three light outlet tester to confirm after hookup.

This right here.  SO important.  If you're not 100% confident in what you're doing, I'd recommend an electrician.  Angry pixies WILL bite you, hard, if you let them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom