Best deals on fuel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NSRoadtripper

we have a one month long RV trip set March/April- I have recieved Pilot J and TSD Commercial card lock cards- are there others out there I should know about?  Class A diesel...

I try to always get gas at Costco when they are available. They are always lower than any other option (including other club stores) in their area. They also have the proves of gas on their web site so I check which one to go to ahead of time. Today, gas at the local Costco is $1.99/gallon. You have to have a membership, I believe they're $50 or $60 a year. I also have a Costco credit card so I get 4% back on gas purchases. (And that doesn't even touch all the other benefits of a membership, like feeding my whole family dinner for $12, lol I could be an infomercial for them, I'm a huge fan!)

We always gas up at Costco.  We live on Maui, and the gas at Costco is typically 80 cents cheaper than the typical gas stations here.  A Costco membership is almost a necessity here, since food and everything else is much more affordable.  Some days it seems like everyone on the island is in the store at the same time!
When we are traveling around the mainland in our Roadtrek, though, we don't usually end up close to a Costco.  We tend to avoid crowded urban areas, and head for the National Parks, etc.

We actually will  be driving a diesel pusher- I know the costco and sams clubs gas bars near us have gas only no diesel- is that different throughout the USA?

I've never seen diesel at a costco.  Murphy's, which is Walmart does have diesel, and you get 3 cent off a gallon if you pay with a prepaid gift card.  That is ok in the eastern US, but there were not any Murphy's out west.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    I've never seen diesel at a costco.  Murphy's, which is Walmart does have diesel, and you get 3 cent off a gallon if you pay with a prepaid gift card.  That is ok in the eastern US, but there were not any Murphy's out west.

Ed
There are now, Ed. There are a couple within about 7-10 minutes of my house in the Denver area.

We buy gas cards (a few major fuel brands, exxon, shell, BP, racetrac etc) at publix. When they have the coupons in their flyer - which is about once every other month or so - for every $50 dollars spent you can buy  $50 gas cards for $40 each and they let you buy more than one at a time. We usually buy several at a time and save them for trips. It saves us $$ on gas plus we gradually pay for trips ahead of time. The cards don't expire.
It's not unusual for us to start a trip with 30-40 cards.
The cards can be used for almost everything sold at the gas station - not just gas. It's hard to beat 20% discount.
I know Publix isn't everywhere but if there's one near you it's probably worth looking into.

Not many Costco stations have diesel but good prices in gas and LP.

We have a Safeway store card which is also accepted by Vons and Albertsons, you get money off fuel at Safeway's gas stations.

Also have a Fred Meyer store card which is also accepted at Kroger, Smith's and a few others and gives decent discounts too.

Depends on where you shop....

I'm a Canadian- no Publix, Safeway, Vons, Albertsons cards up here :(  SO I guess I'm stuck with my cardlock cards- Flying/Pilot J and TSD/EFS....

sigh

We just got an EFS card.  We've filled up twice since we got it.  We've saved around $25.00 on each fill-up.  Beats the hell out of $.08/gallon from Pilot!

I use GS card even when getting coffee at Pilot/Flying-J.

A good app to put on your phone (Yes there are too many apps on my phone) is GAS BUDDY.

Invoke it and it will point you to the lowest cost tank in town.

John From Detroit said:
I use GS card even when getting coffee at Pilot/Flying-J.

A good app to put on your phone (Yes there are too many apps on my phone) is GAS BUDDY.

Invoke it and it will point you to the lowest cost tank in town.

I use Gas Buddy, but you have to watch it.  Sometimes the hassles involved in getting in and out of the cheapie station just isn't worth the savings.

That its true (The station layout)  Tend to areas were I know many of the stations and how hard it is to get in an out.. Several stations around me now are basically "Wide spots in the road" and it's in and so long as I take the road side of the pump I only do fractional turns to (Like pulling onto the shoulder) those I like.

Ease of entry and exit is far more important to me than price. Fueling stations that have pumps parallel to the road usually are the easiest to access. If it has a low price it's a bonus!!

Back
Top Bottom