Best deals on fuel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hfx_Cdn said:
    I've never seen diesel at a costco.  Murphy's, which is Walmart does have diesel, and you get 3 cent off a gallon if you pay with a prepaid gift card.  That is ok in the eastern US, but there were not any Murphy's out west.

Ed

There are a number of Murphy's in Colorado, now.

I don't typically look for cheapest gas prices since I have noticed that not all gas is the same in my daily drivers. We have Kwik Trip and Kwik Star gas stations around here and I used to think they were the cream of the crop because they had "Top Tier brand gas" and a warranty that says if their gas causes any mechanical issues, they will cover the cost of the repairs, but I stopped using them because I noticed about a 10% drop in gas mileage from them versus a few other gas stations in my town that were 5 or 10 cents more per gallon.

A few years ago, when we went to Iowa, we filled up there. They didn't have ethanol in their 87 gas, and we noticed a bump from the usual 28mpg that we got in our 2012 Fusion 4cyl, up to 32. If E0 didn't cost so much more due to regulations in my state, I would prefer to use that, but most places only offer E0 in premium 91 octane or higher, so its about 75 cents higher than E10 87 gas. Some gas stations use higher or lower percentages of ethanol in their E10 gas to cut costs and I can usually tell a slight difference when they do.

If its a place I use regularly, I will test the percentage in a glass graduated cylinder. If you add 100ml of gas, add a little bit of water, the ethanol will separate overnight and you can measure how much actual gas is in it.

This video only uses 10ml, but I do 100ml as mentioned because its easier to see and more accurate measurements. You can technically use the gas after the test, but its a lower octane due to the separated ethanol, so I only use it in my lawn mower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8pV-x9uLiE

Hfx_Cdn said:
    I've never seen diesel at a costco.  Murphy's, which is Walmart does have diesel, and you get 3 cent off a gallon if you pay with a prepaid gift card.  That is ok in the eastern US, but there were not any Murphy's out west.

Ed

Ed, we do have Murphy's at the end of our Sams Club and Walmart Parking lot's here in Central, West Texas.  I have noticed their pumps are positioned for escape after the fill up too.  Not sure about the Diesel availability there though.  For me (Own a Gasser) I will pay a couple extra $0.01s to be able to get out away from the pump with my Tow Dolly pulling my Mazda.  For Diesel guys you got it made with the 18 wheeler Truck Lanes at Pilots I see along the road.  I have aborted a few trips to the pump because it was just too dicey and crowded to attempt it.  Getting boxed in with a Tow on the hitch, is going to cost time if you got to drive it off the dolly.  I have a 32'.5" Class C, Plus the Stehl Tow and a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and I am 52ft bumper to bumper.  Lots of gas stations are too close to parking spaces near the store. I start looking at 1/2 tank for "cherry" (easy) locations to splash and go. I do love that some of the pilot stations have this drive thru lanes for Gassers.  Not all, but some.

We have a Sam's club just down the road and they have diesel. I use them all the time for my truck but I think it would be impossible to fuel up with my RV tagging along.

Our local Sam's Club has an extremely awkward fueling station layout - congested for cars and impossible for any trailer or a motorhome over 20 ft.  No diesel either.  It's not a Murphy's franchise

We recently took delivery of our TSD fuel card, and I have been comparing diesel costs and savings. I must admit that I have rarely used Loves, Pilot and the like due to their extremely high prices. However, the one thing they offer is easy access using the truck lanes. Whilst the savings when compared to the cheapest options in the area are not so great, they are still a saving. Add in that access is easy, you do not need to go into the shop to pay, and you get a detailed receipt emailed to you and it is a winner. The app allows you to set a destination and will show you the cheapest fuel on that route. The card is free, the company is very RV friendly and if you currently use Loves, the savings are anything from 40 to 60 cents a gallon.
Definitely works for us.
TonyL

We always do Costco or a regular commercial gas station and save the $0.25- .40 over the truck stops. That also means we take longer to fill and have to swipe the card a couple of times - however we also aren't standing in a puddle of spilled diesel and DEF by the pump.

You just have to make sure you can get in and out of the smaller stations by using Google maps and being prepared to drive by if it looks hairy.

If you're in a hurry, then do the truck stops and spend the money.

We always do Costco or a regular commercial gas station and save the $0.25- .40 over the truck stops. That also means we take longer to fill and have to swipe the card a couple of times - however we also aren't standing in a puddle of spilled diesel and DEF by the pump.
Your Costco has diesel? I've not seen one of those, yet.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Our local Sam's Club has an extremely awkward fueling station layout - congested for cars and impossible for any trailer or a motorhome over 20 ft.  No diesel either.  It's not a Murphy's franchise

We have a couple of Murphy's stations near us, and neither one is associated with Walmart or Sam's Club.

Domo said:
We always do Costco or a regular commercial gas station and save the $0.25- .40 over the truck stops.

If you're in a hurry, then do the truck stops and spend the money.

I wonder if that's a regional thing as to price differences. Can't speak to Costco but as far as "regular' vs. truck stops, in general we're finding that the price difference in the majority of cases  is insignificant. Even if it's a nickel difference, 60 gallons x $.05 is only three bucks. More than worth it IMO to be able to pull into dedicated RV lanes in Flying Js or Love's.

I lived across the street from a Costco in Concord, CA.  Their gas prices were consistently 25-30 cents a gallon lower than anywhere else in the region.

So were the prices at the Arco station adjacent to the Costco and an independent station a few blocks away.  I wasn't a Costco member so I used these stations and made sure my tank was full before I left for work in the morning to take advantage of the low prices.

Once you got a mile or two away from the Costco gas prices went up to the area's average.

Lou Schneider said:
I lived across the street from a Costco in Concord, CA.  Their gas prices were consistently 25-30 cents a gallon lower than anywhere else in the region.

So were the prices at the Arco station adjacent to the Costco and an independent station a few blocks away.  I wasn't a Costco member so I used these stations and made sure my tank was full before I left for work in the morning to take advantage of the low prices.

Once you got a mile or two away from the Costco gas prices went up to the area's average.
Our Costco on Maui is usually 80 cents less per gallon than the local stations.  Needless to say, most people on the island and even visitors fuel up there. Most days there are 150 to 200 vehicles waiting, but the lines move quickly.  Safeway opened a station nearby, with prices competitive with Costco, and this is moving the traffic away from Costco somewhat.
I am noticing a number of class B and a few class C RV's on island recently.  They would have to be pretty self sufficient, since there are no dump stations or shore power access anywhere on the island that I know of.

For diesel I wanna throw in my vote for TDS/EFS card.  While the truck stops "list" price is always high, from what I have seen I save .10 to .30 / gallon compared to stations on Gasbuddy in the vicinity.  That plus the easy in/out of the truck lanes and being able to fill both the truck and the transfer tank (opposite sides) from a single transaction make it MORE than worth it to me.

Heck, when on the road I used to use the truckstops for those conveniences  even without the discount!

-Chak

Oh, there is a referral program as well - the referrer can get $25 credit after the new user pumps 100 gallons.....I'm not looking for that from you all, didn't provide the info, just letting ya know.

One further note, the TSD fuel card will only give the discount price in the truck lanes. Apparently it will work in the rv dedicated Lane and the standard car pumps, but it will not give you the discount rate.
TonyL

When available, we prefer Pilot/Flying J stations for the convenience, and with our Good Sam Swipe and Save membership card we get a 5 cent/gal discount on gas. On top of that, for all fuel purchases we pay with our PenFed Cash Rewards VISA card that gives us a 5% (not "cents") rebate automatically applied monthly to our balance for all pay at the pump purchases.

Chakara said:
  For diesel I wanna throw in my vote for TDS/EFS card.  While the truck stops "list" price is always high, from what I have seen I save .10 to .30 / gallon compared to stations on Gasbuddy in the vicinity.  That plus the easy in/out of the truck lanes and being able to fill both the truck and the transfer tank (opposite sides) from a single transaction make it MORE than worth it to me.

Heck, when on the road I used to use the truckstops for those conveniences  even without the discount!

-Chak

Oh, there is a referral program as well - the referrer can get $25 credit after the new user pumps 100 gallons.....I'm not looking for that from you all, didn't provide the info, just letting ya know.

I've got the EFS card in hand!  Their app seems very useful pointing out stations and prices as well!  I don't think Costco or sams clubs will be useful- our Fred is diesel- I think the clubs only service gasoline??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom