rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Best deals on fuel?  (Read 1730 times)

NSRoadtripper

• ---
Best deals on fuel?
« on: January 12, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »
we have a one month long RV trip set March/April- I have recieved Pilot J and TSD Commercial card lock cards- are there others out there I should know about?  Class A diesel...

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
Re: Best deals on fuel?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:06:25 PM »
I try to always get gas at Costco when they are available. They are always lower than any other option (including other club stores) in their area. They also have the proves of gas on their web site so I check which one to go to ahead of time. Today, gas at the local Costco is $1.99/gallon. You have to have a membership, I believe they're $50 or $60 a year. I also have a Costco credit card so I get 4% back on gas purchases. (And that doesn't even touch all the other benefits of a membership, like feeding my whole family dinner for $12, lol I could be an infomercial for them, I'm a huge fan!)
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

TomJF

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »
We always gas up at Costco.  We live on Maui, and the gas at Costco is typically 80 cents cheaper than the typical gas stations here.  A Costco membership is almost a necessity here, since food and everything else is much more affordable.  Some days it seems like everyone on the island is in the store at the same time!
When we are traveling around the mainland in our Roadtrek, though, we don't usually end up close to a Costco.  We tend to avoid crowded urban areas, and head for the National Parks, etc.
1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular
Based in New England

NSRoadtripper

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
We actually will  be driving a diesel pusher- I know the costco and sams clubs gas bars near us have gas only no diesel- is that different throughout the USA?

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:28:27 PM »
No diesel at Costco in the northern Denver metro area. Wish they did.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 07:40:49 PM »
     I've never seen diesel at a costco.  Murphy's, which is Walmart does have diesel, and you get 3 cent off a gallon if you pay with a prepaid gift card.  That is ok in the eastern US, but there were not any Murphy's out west.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
     I've never seen diesel at a costco.  Murphy's, which is Walmart does have diesel, and you get 3 cent off a gallon if you pay with a prepaid gift card.  That is ok in the eastern US, but there were not any Murphy's out west.

Ed
There are now, Ed. There are a couple within about 7-10 minutes of my house in the Denver area.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

skydivemark

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 11:24:58 AM »
We buy gas cards (a few major fuel brands, exxon, shell, BP, racetrac etc) at publix. When they have the coupons in their flyer - which is about once every other month or so - for every $50 dollars spent you can buy  $50 gas cards for $40 each and they let you buy more than one at a time. We usually buy several at a time and save them for trips. It saves us $$ on gas plus we gradually pay for trips ahead of time. The cards don't expire.
It's not unusual for us to start a trip with 30-40 cards.
The cards can be used for almost everything sold at the gas station - not just gas. It's hard to beat 20% discount.
I know Publix isn't everywhere but if there's one near you it's probably worth looking into.
2015 Thor Four Winds 31L
Clermont, FL

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
Not many Costco stations have diesel but good prices in gas and LP.

We have a Safeway store card which is also accepted by Vons and Albertsons, you get money off fuel at Safeway's gas stations.

Also have a Fred Meyer store card which is also accepted at Kroger, Smith's and a few others and gives decent discounts too.

Depends on where you shop....
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

NSRoadtripper

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:44:32 AM »
I'm a Canadian- no Publix, Safeway, Vons, Albertsons cards up here :(  SO I guess I'm stuck with my cardlock cards- Flying/Pilot J and TSD/EFS....

sigh

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 08:09:13 AM »
Well, given that Jackie lives in Scotland, I suspect there's a way for you to get those, too, once you're in the U.S.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »
Got mine in store and you get points on card..... easy peasy.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

NSRoadtripper

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 01:54:44 PM »
Great thanks!

jayc2640

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
We just got an EFS card.  We've filled up twice since we got it.  We've saved around $25.00 on each fill-up.   Beats the hell out of $.08/gallon from Pilot!
- John Coffey
2018 Winnebago Forza 38F
2016 Chevrolet Equinox

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »
I use my costco CC and good sams club card at Flying J/Pilot.  The savings add up.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America

jamesalex12

• Field Services Technician
Best deals on fuel?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 06:55:19 AM »
good information..
I am working as a Field Services Technician.very passionate to learn new technologies.
every new updates are very interesting to learn.this is the tech place to know about new things

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 04:58:01 PM »
I use GS card even when getting coffee at Pilot/Flying-J.

A good app to put on your phone (Yes there are too many apps on my phone) is GAS BUDDY.

Invoke it and it will point you to the lowest cost tank in town.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »
I use GS card even when getting coffee at Pilot/Flying-J.

A good app to put on your phone (Yes there are too many apps on my phone) is GAS BUDDY.

Invoke it and it will point you to the lowest cost tank in town.

I use Gas Buddy, but you have to watch it.  Sometimes the hassles involved in getting in and out of the cheapie station just isn't worth the savings.
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »
That its true (The station layout)  Tend to areas were I know many of the stations and how hard it is to get in an out.. Several stations around me now are basically "Wide spots in the road" and it's in and so long as I take the road side of the pump I only do fractional turns to (Like pulling onto the shoulder) those I like.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

penman39

• ---
    • MassArt Images
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 11:07:23 AM »
Ease of entry and exit is far more important to me than price. Fueling stations that have pumps parallel to the road usually are the easiest to access. If it has a low price it's a bonus!!
Carl
2002 Adventurer 35U Workhorse
W22 GM 8.1L Ally 1000 Tranny
2015 Subaru Crosstrek Toad

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »

Ed

There are a number of Murphy's in Colorado, now.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

cerd

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »
I don't typically look for cheapest gas prices since I have noticed that not all gas is the same in my daily drivers. We have Kwik Trip and Kwik Star gas stations around here and I used to think they were the cream of the crop because they had "Top Tier brand gas" and a warranty that says if their gas causes any mechanical issues, they will cover the cost of the repairs, but I stopped using them because I noticed about a 10% drop in gas mileage from them versus a few other gas stations in my town that were 5 or 10 cents more per gallon.

A few years ago, when we went to Iowa, we filled up there. They didn't have ethanol in their 87 gas, and we noticed a bump from the usual 28mpg that we got in our 2012 Fusion 4cyl, up to 32. If E0 didn't cost so much more due to regulations in my state, I would prefer to use that, but most places only offer E0 in premium 91 octane or higher, so its about 75 cents higher than E10 87 gas. Some gas stations use higher or lower percentages of ethanol in their E10 gas to cut costs and I can usually tell a slight difference when they do.

If its a place I use regularly, I will test the percentage in a glass graduated cylinder. If you add 100ml of gas, add a little bit of water, the ethanol will separate overnight and you can measure how much actual gas is in it.

This video only uses 10ml, but I do 100ml as mentioned because its easier to see and more accurate measurements. You can technically use the gas after the test, but its a lower octane due to the separated ethanol, so I only use it in my lawn mower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8pV-x9uLiE
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »

Ed

Ed, we do have Murphy's at the end of our Sams Club and Walmart Parking lot's here in Central, West Texas.  I have noticed their pumps are positioned for escape after the fill up too.  Not sure about the Diesel availability there though.  For me (Own a Gasser) I will pay a couple extra $0.01s to be able to get out away from the pump with my Tow Dolly pulling my Mazda.  For Diesel guys you got it made with the 18 wheeler Truck Lanes at Pilots I see along the road.  I have aborted a few trips to the pump because it was just too dicey and crowded to attempt it.  Getting boxed in with a Tow on the hitch, is going to cost time if you got to drive it off the dolly.  I have a 32'.5" Class C, Plus the Stehl Tow and a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and I am 52ft bumper to bumper.  Lots of gas stations are too close to parking spaces near the store. I start looking at 1/2 tank for "cherry" (easy) locations to splash and go. I do love that some of the pilot stations have this drive thru lanes for Gassers.  Not all, but some.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:12:36 AM by X-Roughneck »
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
We have a Sam's club just down the road and they have diesel. I use them all the time for my truck but I think it would be impossible to fuel up with my RV tagging along.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:27:20 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 08:19:22 AM »
Our local Sam's Club has an extremely awkward fueling station layout - congested for cars and impossible for any trailer or a motorhome over 20 ft.   No diesel either.  It's not a Murphy's franchise
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

TonyL

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 10:58:12 AM »
We recently took delivery of our TSD fuel card, and I have been comparing diesel costs and savings. I must admit that I have rarely used Loves, Pilot and the like due to their extremely high prices. However, the one thing they offer is easy access using the truck lanes. Whilst the savings when compared to the cheapest options in the area are not so great, they are still a saving. Add in that access is easy, you do not need to go into the shop to pay, and you get a detailed receipt emailed to you and it is a winner. The app allows you to set a destination and will show you the cheapest fuel on that route. The card is free, the company is very RV friendly and if you currently use Loves, the savings are anything from 40 to 60 cents a gallon.
Definitely works for us.
TonyL

Domo

• ---
  • 2008 Tiffin 36QSH - Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 11:25:14 AM »
We always do Costco or a regular commercial gas station and save the $0.25- .40 over the truck stops. That also means we take longer to fill and have to swipe the card a couple of times - however we also aren't standing in a puddle of spilled diesel and DEF by the pump.

You just have to make sure you can get in and out of the smaller stations by using Google maps and being prepared to drive by if it looks hairy.

If you're in a hurry, then do the truck stops and spend the money.
2008 Tiffin 36QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BlueOx tow bar and base plate
Roadmaster Brakemaster

Light travels faster than sound...
                                     that's why some people seem so bright before they open their mouths!

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »
We always do Costco or a regular commercial gas station and save the $0.25- .40 over the truck stops. That also means we take longer to fill and have to swipe the card a couple of times - however we also aren't standing in a puddle of spilled diesel and DEF by the pump.
Your Costco has diesel? I've not seen one of those, yet.

Our local Sam's Club has an extremely awkward fueling station layout - congested for cars and impossible for any trailer or a motorhome over 20 ft.   No diesel either.  It's not a Murphy's franchise

We have a couple of Murphy's stations near us, and neither one is associated with Walmart or Sam's Club.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
We always do Costco or a regular commercial gas station and save the $0.25- .40 over the truck stops.

If you're in a hurry, then do the truck stops and spend the money.

I wonder if that's a regional thing as to price differences. Can't speak to Costco but as far as "regular' vs. truck stops, in general we're finding that the price difference in the majority of cases  is insignificant. Even if it's a nickel difference, 60 gallons x $.05 is only three bucks. More than worth it IMO to be able to pull into dedicated RV lanes in Flying Js or Love's.
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
I lived across the street from a Costco in Concord, CA.  Their gas prices were consistently 25-30 cents a gallon lower than anywhere else in the region.

So were the prices at the Arco station adjacent to the Costco and an independent station a few blocks away.  I wasn't a Costco member so I used these stations and made sure my tank was full before I left for work in the morning to take advantage of the low prices.

Once you got a mile or two away from the Costco gas prices went up to the area's average.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:19:36 PM by Lou Schneider »