Towing a Forester

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetsurrender

Is anyone out there towing a Subaru Forester?  Or any Subaru for that matter.  I know they need to be manual transmission, no problem there other than finding one of course, but I am wondering if anyone towing one would recommend it.  They haven't been on the "towable's" lists since 2015, but it appears the 2016's are no different.  Anyone towing a newer one? 

Thanks for any input.

I loved my Subarus, but they only way they were towable is on a trailer. I didn't want the hassle, so we leave the Susie at home bought a Jeep. You can get the real scoop from Subaru USA. I wouldn?t trust any other source, and I would get it in writing.

Thanks for the input. Like me, you probably are not happy that Subaru decided they couldn't be towed after 2015. :mad:
If I can find anyone pulling them, and they are having no problems doing so, I  am going to find a Forester of the appropriate age. The Jeep we have is so much work to prepare for pulling!! At least 15 steps before hitching, and like 7 or 8 to unhitch. It's a Cherokee. Nice car, but seriously!!

Sweetsurrender said:
The Jeep we have is so much work to prepare for pulling!! At least 15 steps before hitching, and like 7 or 8 to unhitch. It's a Cherokee. Nice car, but seriously!!

Things must have changed as Jeeps are about as easy as they come to pull: hook it up, transfer case in neutral, transmission in P (I believe N for manual), steering wheel unlocked, tow! I've towed both a little Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee.

Lol...this is a 2017, and essentially it's what you said, but it needs to be put in those positions (transfer case in neutral, transmission in park) in a particular combination of steps, some with engine running, some not, and the manual is clear that if one step is out of order, you can restart the process after the thing resets. No kidding!! And of course, thankfully this one is equipped with the additional towing harness that keeps it from having something called "the death wobble". That requires engaging after its hooked to the MH, and NEVER start the engine with the toggle in the "UP", or, engaged, position.  :p.  Sigh....I'm thinking a manual transmission Forester is easier. Manual says, "put in neutral, turn key to on position" and go.
I'm thinking many on the forum have toads that are way more convenient than our Cherokee. I should have checked prior to buying it.

Most of the newer models have some extra steps vs several years ago, necessitated by the more sophisticated computer control systems, use of electric steering assists, "smart" transmissions, etc.

Making a vehicle 4-down towable is right near the bottom of the car makers priority list, so it's one of the capabilities that frequently gets the ax if it conflicts with some other priority, e.g. better fuel economy or lower price.  Further, 4-down towing is high risk from a warranty perspective and that's no small consideration now that 6-10 year, 70k-100k mile powertrain warranties are the norm.  One little slip-up in the tow procedure can have a dramatic effect on tranmsission wear & tear and few owners ever admit to a mistake.

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is amazingly easy to set up for towing. Hook on coach, turn on, transmission in neutral, push the little neutral button, wait a few seconds for transmission to set up correctly, shift to park, then turn off. It literally takes a couple of minutes. Hook up power, braking system (we have an AirForce 1 so it is just a matter of connecting air lines), and done. The entire process is 5-6 minutes which includes getting the tow bars out of the storage compartment and hooking them on. Note that not all Jeeps are created equal for ease of flat towing. You need one with the true neutral. I actually am quite happy with the Trailhawk. It handles rough roads with ease, and has lots of creature comforts too.

I don't really have any insight on towing a Subaru although we did see quite a few Subaru's being towed 4 down when we were visiting in Australia, unfortunately I'm not up on the makes and models of the Subarus to give you any real advice.  We are actually thinking about going from our Equinox to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, just compiling everything I need to know before taking the plunge.  The one thing I can certainly recommend if you tow four down is the Protect-a-Tow www.protectatow.com .  It has kept our 2015 Equinox looking like new after 4 years of towing many miles. 

Quite a few manufacturers have simply bowed out of the 4-down towable market, basically by declaring it to be a non-warranty use. Their product design may or may not have changed, but they got tired of dealing with transmission damage claims. The extra sales for 4-down towing are difficult to quantify but small by any measure, too small to justify any substantive road testing or pay for costly transmission warranty claims.  It's just business for the car makers, and the business arithmetic doesn't make the cut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom