rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Hot water line  (Read 439 times)

OSUTRIKERS

• ---
Hot water line
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:38:17 AM »
So, I guess I知 missing something.   After being winterized, I知 attempting to get some hot  water.   So, bypass is pointed up, saying normal.   Turned hot water heater for some time but not getting it flowing in bathroom or kitchen sink.   Outside, I barely undid drain plug, there was water.   I hit the pressure valve and it gave hot water.   Am I missing something else?  Only thing I haven稚 tried yet is shower.  Thanks....tom
2013 Allegro Open Road
2014 Jeep Wrangler

mel s

• ---
Re: Hot water line
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
So, I guess I知 missing something.   After being winterized, I知 attempting to get some hot  water.   So, bypass is pointed up, saying normal.   Turned hot water heater for some time but not getting it flowing in bathroom or kitchen sink.   Outside, I barely undid drain plug, there was water.   I hit the pressure valve and it gave hot water.   Am I missing something else?  Only thing I haven稚 tried yet is shower.  Thanks....tom
OSUTRIKERS
A bad check valve, https://www.rvautoparts.com/assets/images/23303_out.jpg ,(normally located in either the cold in or the hot out waterline), on the water heater will cause that.

House Husband

• ---
    • Web Master
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:26:15 PM »
Many times the outside shower valves are both on and the valve on the shower head is closed. This will create the situation you have. This happens many times to those that winterize.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
http://MWPSchooners.com
First Brake Job 1941 Hudson @ age 3

OSUTRIKERS

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 03:54:34 PM »
Not sure about the last one. If outside shower was on, i would expect lots of water, same as shower. Maybe I知 misunderstanding your thoughts.  I知 getting water flow, just no hot water.
2013 Allegro Open Road
2014 Jeep Wrangler

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
If yu get plenty of cold water from the hot taps, odds are either the bypass valve is still "bypass" or the check valve at the tank outlet is stuck closed. That can happen while in "winterized" state - the crud around the valve dries out and corrodes it shut.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
Many times the outside shower valves are both on and the valve on the shower head is closed. This will create the situation you have. This happens many times to those that winterize.

Richard

he said no flow.. but yes that is a common face palm type problem and I've "Fixed" a few of 'em over the years.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »
You said the valve is in the Normal position so you have a single valve. I see someone has already told you about the outlet check valve...  I am NOT an RV service technician so I don't work on that many (if at all possible I work on just my own) I have a 3-valve bypass. no check valve.

That said.. I helped a mother/daughter team get in hot water (the good kind of hot water) by telling 'em about said valve.. The mother gutted the valve (it's on the water heater outlet) since she could not get it off. and they were in hot water again.  They have since fixed it (bought a brand new 5th wheel with a brand new heater) but hey.. We all must upgrade :).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 04:38:48 PM »
Coming out of winterization and after setting valves and installing plugs the first thing that should be done is to fill the plumbing with water to remove all the air. Make sure water is making its way to all taps. Check for leaks. Make sure your hot water tank is full of water. Use the pressure release valve on the top of the heater tank not the plug at the bottom. Once you have flow to all taps and you verify a full hot water tank and you have flushed the plumbing out of standing water, antifreeze fluid etc then turn on the water heater.

If you are getting no water to the hot water taps then something is not set right or you have a frozen pipe or you could have a bad check valve and possibly not enough water in the hot water tank.

There could be 2 check valves. One on the hot water tank outlet and one on the inlet. Mine came stock with two. Other designs may only have one.

mel s

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
Richard

Not sure about the last one. If outside shower was on, i would expect lots of water, same as shower. Maybe I知 misunderstanding your thoughts.  I知 getting water flow, just no hot water.

OSUTRIKERS
IF the outside shower valves are both ON and the valve on the "shower head" is CLOSED. you should get NO WATER OUT OF THE SHOWER HEAD.