columbus Mississippi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent a night in the Walmart there. I don't think that counts though.

Yes, but given it was in the late 1980's I am not sure how much help I would be. I do recall that all the bridges on Hwy 82 in Alabama had been 4 laned at the time, but the road itself was still all 2 lane.  And for an extra odd point the highway turned into a dirt road at the Mississippi state line when driving in from Alabama.

Columbus has 2 COE campgrounds about 7 miles west of the city. IMHO the Dewayne Hayes campground is the best for camping but Town Creek is better for fishing. Both are on the Tombigbee river There is also a state park east about 10 miles or so. There are about a dozen COE and state park campgrounds within 60 miles of there.

Isaac-1 said:
Yes, but given it was in the late 1980's I am not sure how much help I would be. I do recall that all the bridges on Hwy 82 in Alabama had been 4 laned at the time, but the road itself was still all 2 lane.  And for an extra odd point the highway turned into a dirt road at the Mississippi state line when driving in from Alabama.

Its been a couple years but the last time I drove 82 west from Tuscaloosa it was 4 lane except for maybe 10 miles of 2 lane in Alabama. No dirt roads anymore. All the roads from the other 3 directions are all 4 lane now.

US 82 is four-lane from Greenville, MS through Mongomery, Al to where US-231 ans US-82 split.
Though getting through Tuscaloosa has become quite the adventure.

We stayed at Hidden Cove RV park, near Columbus. It was a good stopover location.

I've stayed at Dewayne Hayes COE and Lake Lowndes SP. Dewayne Hayes is much closer to civilization if that matters.

LarsMac said:
Though getting through Tuscaloosa has become quite the adventure.

Yes it is but there is a toll bypass around Tuscaloosa that connects to 82 on both ends. It is well worth paying the toll to use it.

I had quite an adventure in Tuscaloosa. One of my all time worst days. We had spent the day looking at every RV for sale in Birmingham. We stopped to eat a late lunch in Tuscaloosa and I remembered an RV on Craig's List I had been watching for 3 months. It was much much older than I wanted but it was like new and he had been dropping the price every 2 weeks. It turned out to be a deal I couldn't refuse (with a valid title which is so rare on Craig's List). I had to drive the new to me RV on 82 all the way thru town during the 5:00 rush hour. Bumper to bumper and waiting thru 3 stop lights at each intersection. By then it was running on fumes and all the gas stations are on their weird cutout access roads where I couldn't navigate the turns. I was sweating and praying the whole time and cursing the previous owner for leaving me with an empty tank of gas. It was dark by the time I found their last gas station which I could fit into right at the edge of town. Then 30 miles down the road this horrible loud squawking noise started that sounded like the transmission was about to self destruct or a U-joint was about to drop the driveshaft on the highway. It was in the middle of nowhere on that section of 2 lane road. It was another 10 miles before I could pull over sweating and praying the whole time and cursing the previous owner and myself for buying this ancient huge steaming pile of junk. I seriously considered calling the previous owner to say he could find this thing laying dead beside the road and to give my money back. After crawling around under it with a flashlight I went in thru the side door and put my hand on the dinette table as I was walking by. There was that noise! I had not thought about dropping the table before leaving and there was just enough play in the wall bracket to make that horrible noise. Man, did I feel like an idiot but so relieved I felt like crying. It took me a while to work up the courage to get back behind the wheel. The previous owner called a couple of hours later to make sure we made it home alright. I felt guilty for cursing him so I said it ran great, which it did so I wasn't lying. Needless to say I went to bed very early that night. We've had only a few minor issues in the 5 years since so we decided this RV will have to last the rest of our lives.

Back
Top Bottom