rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Trying to leave - brakes not working (resolved!)  (Read 691 times)

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Trying to leave - brakes not working (resolved!)
« on: October 05, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »
Just pulling out of campground. Truck shows "trailer connected". Brakes activate manually. Not getting trailer brakes from brake pedal. Checking fuses. Help!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:15:01 PM by Back2PA »
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • Yup....I married up!
Re: Trying to leave - brakes not working
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
I can't but hope you get it resolved soon my friend! :))
Jeff & Judy 🇺🇸
2016 Newmar Ventana
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

Give peace a chance.....until they piss you off!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »
Are brake lights working?
Two things are needed to activate the trailer brakes
One the brake light switch or a air pressure or hydraulic pressure switch with the brake light switch being #1 on the list of ways to activite (i've not seen other methods in a long, long, long time)

2 Inertia.. If you are gently stopping the trailer won't brake. Panic stop it should.  Somewhere in between is the activation point.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
I can't but hope you get it resolved soon my friend! :))

Thank Jeff.

Absolutely mystified. If I adjust the controller so the gain is showing, and while it's showing touch the brake pedal, I briefly get "output" but then it goes away, which is not normal. In layman's terms I assume the pedal is talking to the controller and the controller is sending the voltage to the brakes. Since the truck recognizes "trailer connected" and I can apply the brakes manually that seems to eliminate the brakes, trailer wiring, harness and controller. Leaving the truck. Since I get a brief "output" that seems to eliminate fuses, I haven't found one yet
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
Are brake lights working?
Two things are needed to activate the trailer brakes
One the brake light switch or a air pressure or hydraulic pressure switch with the brake light switch being #1 on the list of ways to activite (i've not seen other methods in a long, long, long time)

2 Inertia.. If you are gently stopping the trailer won't brake. Panic stop it should.  Somewhere in between is the activation point.

Brake lights work. It's not inertia. Should apply variable brakes based on pedal pressure.
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 07:44:23 AM »
Sure seems like a brake controller issue.  Is this a Ford OEM, or an aftermarket add on?  Mine sometimes are finicky for the first few brake.
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 08:00:20 AM »

Sure seems like a brake controller issue.  Is this a Ford OEM, or an aftermarket add on?  Mine sometimes are finicky for the first few brake.

OEM. Truck spec'd from factory for fifth wheel towing. I agree
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:02:33 AM by Back2PA »
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
i had the same thing happen to me - spray wd40 or something similar in to the plugs  both male and female and flush them out it worked for me
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2019 F150 5l Super cab 8 ft box (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
i had the same thing happen to me - spray wd40 or something similar in to the plugs  both male and female and flush them out it worked for me

Although I had already cleaned both male and female with contact cleaner I gave this a try. As I plugged it in I noticed it seemed to slip in to the receptacle a little too easily. Had a look at the cord and the contacts were all spread out a little. Adjusted all of them and the problem was resolved. I can't explain why the brakes would work manually but not with the pedal, perhaps at the lower voltage of typical braking the bad connection was creating too much resistance.

In any case, although about 4 hours late, made it to the planned overnight. It's all in the recovery  ;) :)
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Roy M

• ---
Re: Trying to leave - brakes not working (resolved!)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 07:42:52 PM »
Glad it worked out that easily. I have spent far too much time chasing trailer electrical gremlins.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
 :)) :)) :))
Thanks for the update.  I knew I carried wd40 for a reason, stuff fixes everything  ;D ;D ;D
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
I've got to change my plug/cable to trailer soon. I noticed when I plugged in the other day for my annual trip to FL from NH, I noticed that the bond between the plug and cable is not bonded anymore so I'm sure water will be getting in there. And eventually, corrosion will take over a good connection so I'll replace the cable assembly with a new one. I know I could replace just the plug and keep the old cable but for the added cost, which shouldn't be much more, I'll buy the entire assembly.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »
I've got to change my plug/cable to trailer soon. I noticed when I plugged in the other day for my annual trip to FL from NH, I noticed that the bond between the plug and cable is not bonded anymore so I'm sure water will be getting in there. And eventually, corrosion will take over a good connection so I'll replace the cable assembly with a new one. I know I could replace just the plug and keep the old cable but for the added cost, which shouldn't be much more, I'll buy the entire assembly.

I think I'll replace mine too. Let me know what you come up with Rene
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

NatalieRoberts

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
I think you need to take the temperature of the brakes into consideration before making adjustments to the brake controller settings. You will need to heat your brakes a bit before you make any settings to the brake controller.

To do this, pull up the manual brake lever on the brake controller while you are driving down the road at around 25mph. Since you will need to engage the brakes at the trailer side, bring along a companion to pull on the brakes for you.