McCloud River fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Anyone have experience fishing the McCloud River in northern California?

We'll be up there in early/mid September and was hoping someone could help with local conditions, places to fish (access points), flies to use (including patterns and sizes), etc. I assume that flows are lower this year and wondered if that made wading practical. Is floating the best route? I don't have a float boat but do have a float tube, although I'm not really comfortable floating a river in the tube. If floating by boat, do folks use the inflatable pontoon boats or aluminum boats? Also, if floating, what about launch and retrieval locations?

I've done some research online and in my library, so I'm not looking for links to web sites or to books.

TIA.

Tom,

I am checking with my in house source.  As I recall you normally don't use guides but I can recommend one if you want to fish on the FAll River which I believe is in the area.  The Fall river is a great little river to fish but has very little public access except through guides or lodges.  It is one of the nicer/scenic rivers I have floated other than the Snake River.  It is near McArthur and we found a great RV parl there by the name of Lassen PInes RV Park (Huh!) fancy that.

Tim

Thanks Tim, hope your source has some info. (If he doesn't, I don't know who would.)

If you can recommend a guide for the Fall River, that would be great also. Maybe Chris will give me an early Christmas present.

Tom,

Here's the scoop from my secret source.  I am embarrases to say I lost the name and phone number for the guide but I will get it.  His name was Carl and he worked out of the Fall River Fishing Lodge..tim

<<<<Here?s an ok site for current info and patterns.  The big fall attraction is the October Caddis hatch.  He?ll be too early. It usually starts late Oct or Nov.  Never the less, fishing should be pretty great on the lower McCloud below the reservoir.  Temps will be down.  Dries are usually always productive in the evening.  If dries are slow during the day, try fishing a dry/ dropper.  Start with a caddis or ant and drop a small mayfly nymph or caddis larvae off the back.  If the dry doesn?t produce at all, switch to nymphing with an indicator. These fish always nymph very well.  We always stay at Ah Di Nah CG or one of the primitive spots in that area. 

Here?s link: 

http://www.fishfirst.com/

Click on fishing report and scroll on down.>>>>>

Tom,

This is the fishing lodge that the guide worked out of.  It has one of the few public access points to the river.  Also Lassen Pines RV has him listed and they are the folks that initially set us up with him.

http://spinnerfalllodge.com/

Thanks on all counts Tim, much appreciated. Now I have to go study before our trip.

Back
Top Bottom