Question looking for answer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This question is for everyone. I'm interested in the statistics. Here we go. "If you own a motorhome, travel trailer, fifth wheel, class A,B C Super C or a small teardrop, why do you still go to RV shows? I have my theories but let's see what you think.

Jeff

At first (20+ years ago) we went to RV shows looking to upgrade from our Dutchmen TT.  We met a local distributor and were impressed enough to order from them a park model which we enjoyed for over a dozen years before selling it to buy our 5th wheel.

We now go to RV shows to see current offerings in floorplans, finishes, trends in lighting and decor.  Sometimes there's a gadget that captures our notice. 

We usually come away very content with our present unit.

We have made lots of mods some of which we saw at shows. We are not trying to keep up with current trends, just personalizing, maximizing space, and making the space more comfortable. Our decision to keep our RV forever allows us to make changes without worrying about trade in value. We've even made changes to our S&B house based on ideas from RV shows;

I am with TheBar. We go to see vendors and to look for new ideas for storage and mods. Depending on the manufacturer, some updates done to new rigs can be retrofitted to older ones. I actually have to try to drop my decorating prejudices at the door of the new rigs to see the functional updates instead of all the glitz and glamour. If I can get past that, it is interesting to see how they handle bathroom storage or closet space, for example.

We go to RV shows because we are always looking. But we always come away with the feeling we are satisfied with what we have. Plus ours is paid off. Sometimes I?ll go to open houses too. But normally only ones where the developer offers free hotdogs.

We go because we happy to see that no one makes an RV as good as our 24 year old, (150,000+ mile), Safari.

I also visit new car lots, Walmarts, and home stores from time to time, whether buying anything or not.  I'm curious about what's currently on the market and maybe new & different.  It's often educational.

Much like Gary, whether RV shows, car dealers, electronic stores, music stores, video and photo stores, or other areas of interest, it's nice to actually see things in person (rather than a picture online) and to try to keep up with what's available (new/more features/etc.). And occasionally I can get an idea of something to change or some accessory that might help. It also helps me keep up with WHERE I can get things locally, or what I may be forced to get online.

So, as Amanda said, window shopping, but also self education.

Multiple reasons depending on the show.
ONE: to see the latest and greatest
Two: To pick up some 'Stuff'. 
Three: to find answers
and in the case of the really big rallies like QZ.. friends.

And there is more but...  that's just off the top.

I got to shows (not QZ) mostlly for "Stuff".  (Accessories and equipment) 

There are also sales types there selling camp ground memberships and waterless cookware and other "Stuff".

I go mostly to see the new innovations, even if it is in a product offering I would never buy, even if I won the lottery.

Take for example the innovations in small living space teardrop trailers and the like in the last few years, something I might have used if I were single 20-30 years ago, but could never see myself using at my current point in life.

I also look at the offerings in coaches that are similar in size to my current coach, and while some may have interesting new features, I have yet to see one that I would want more than my current coach.  This helps me get past some of those wishful thoughts, buyers regret kind of thoughts that I think all of us get, should I have bought something smaller like a B+ that is able to get in and go more places, well all it takes is 5 minutes inside a B+m seeing how cramped they are, how small their tanks are, etc. for me to say, no.  Sure if I had the money to burn I might buy one for limited use in addition to our current coach, but not as a replacement...

We like to see all the campgrounds advertising and RV products.

Gary and TheBar nailed it.  It confirms how our current unit fits us perfectly.  I like to window shop and see new accessories.

Last one we went to the only one in our area a couple years ago, Pleasanton Ca. was so lame as far as Vendors goes. They sure know how to promote it, almost false advertising. A few things for knife sharpening, non stick pans, maybe a time share. I wanted to buy a topper/awning for a slide that day, nothing even remotely related to outfitting a RV. A guy walking out next to us had the same disappointment, he wanted to buy a Sat. set up. I guess if I was buying a new Trailer I could of got a show sale price, but you can get those same prices from a large Dealer a 1/2 hour from here that doesn't display at the show. He says that the cost to move in, rent floor space and then move out is high around here. He sells his rigs close to show prices, not counting the specials that some have a Mfg. discount built in for the shows. His employee's hate working the shows, long days for them. The San Francisco boat show is the same now days, it once was a great show, it took a entire day to see it, now two hours including stopping for a 14.00 beer.  If you folks have a well attended show with lots of venders, feel blessed. I miss how they were years ago around here,,,gregg

grashley said:
Gary and TheBar nailed it.  It confirms how our current unit fits us perfectly.  I like to window shop and see new accessories.

This!

Going to shows has certainly reinforced our opinion that we made a really good decision on our coach.  So far, we've seen nothing that fits us any better. 

Other reasons:

• See new floorplans
  • Get ideas for customizing
  • Explore new accessories and services
  • Kibitz with other owners and dealer reps
  • Because we simply enjoy the lifestyle and geek out on equipment

We goto the RV shows for the entertainment. We chuckle at all the gadgets & do-dads that will fail while bouncing down the road. We have never had a slide or an automatic awning fail to deploy or retract. The old manual AC controls have never failed. Probably the most elaborate gadget we have on our old Bounder is the automatic steps and they have failed. We RV under the KISS principle.

Richard

It is also fun watching people shop for RV's based on all the wrong criteria, such as the color of the curtains.

Back
Top Bottom